Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 261
KLR problems again, this time in Ecuador!

People have asked me if I'm gonna sell this bike at the end of my trip. I think I'd have trouble giving it away the way it's been behaving...

So the problem: Riding along, bike starts sputtering and dies. I open up the choke, push the starter a few times, voila she's running again. This happens a couple more times, then going down a hill the throttle stops responding and eventually the bike dies. Its a long hill, so I bump start it a couple of times but the throttle does nothing and putting on the choke seems to cause the bike to die. Naturally it has been raining heavily the whole time.

Stuck in some little village in Ecuador, the cops say I can camp in the basketball court so I guess I'll take the carb apart and see if there's anything to see. Any ideas folks? It's a 2002 KLR650.

NOTE: My choke cable snapped a while back so I took off the black cable cover and just left the half wire attached the the choke sticking out, I yank on that for choke. I suppose something might have gotten in there.
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
DisorganizedVince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Fuel blockage possibly? Either in the petrol tap or the fuel filter if you have one fitted, or less likely a jet. I'm not familiar with the KLR650, but I had a very similar problem on a different bike which turned out to be a blocked fuel tap. Assuming the KLRs not vacuum operated just pull the fuel pipe off of the carb and put the fuel on to check if your actually getting fuel flow from the tank.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 261
KLR is vacuum operated petcock, I think. there are two tubes going to it and when I try to start the bike there is suction on one of them.

Took it apart, put it back together, still nada. The top part of the carb looked like it was beginning to get a tad grimy, but minimal volume, just a smear of brown here and there.

Bike starts, runs for a few seconds, and quits. If I put on the choke it does the same thing, just louder. Rolling on the throttle kills the bike.

There seems to be a telltale whistle of air flowing out somewhere there but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Debating taking it off again. What else am I gonna do... I just don't really know what I'm looking for, all the holes for the jets are clean (couldn't check the pilot, don't have a screwdriver that tiny).
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
DisorganizedVince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
It definitely sounds like a fuel blockage to me, but hopefully somebody with some KLR experience will check in. Another possibility that could cause those symptoms is a blocked/wet air filter. Unlikely, but it'd be simple enough to check.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Sounds like you're getting fuel, so the fuel valve is working. (Usually the little o-ring around the selector begins to leak a little to warn you it's time to overhaul the valve)

It probably is the pilot jet gummed up.
I had to have my carb cleaned thoroughly in Argentina, and the pilot jet was all gummed up from the crappy fuel. The bike would run but barely, managed to limp into a mechanic.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
first try simple things..like draining off the water trapped inside of the main/ carb bowl
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
R Brown
KLRider

Oddometer: 55
Just a shot in the dark here. What about a broken diaphragm? Or, a pin hole in the diaphragm ? But, like you said, "NOTE: My choke cable snapped a while back so I took off the black cable cover and just left the half wire attached the the choke sticking out, I yank on that for choke. I suppose something might have gotten in there."

I would suggest posting your problem in the Thumpers section. Lots of KLR folks there. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
KMS6
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
first try simple things..like draining off the water trapped inside of the main/ carb bowl
This. Solved the problem more than once with my KLR. Small screw near base.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
take the fuel line off the carb and turn the engine over.... fuel should run out of the petcock hose freely... if not there is something wrong with the petcock, or it's vacuum source (the manifold & hose).

check the vacuum line for evidence of fuel. if there is ANY sign of fuel in that line, the petcock diaphragm is bad
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
Are you pulling out the jets and making sure they are clear?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,853
The petcock has a filter/screen sticking up into the tank (I assume since EVERY bike i have ever seen has one). You may need to clean it.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,341
I am cross posting this to the Thumper section, 'KLR Only' thread... where it will be seen and responded to by more.

Initial response to your obvious frustration is that you or someone that understands the CVK carb needs to give it a thorough going over. Both the KLR and the carb are reliable if they are properly maintained. There are several things that need attention.

1. is the whole carb clean? All the jets.
2. is there any gas contamination?
3. is the rubber diaphram intact?
4. is the enricher properly closed? You mentioned that you had broken a cable.
5. is the petcock (vacuum side too) working properly- holes in the tubing?
6. is the tank filler cap venting properly?
7. is your air filter clean?

None of the above take rocket science to do, but patience.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 07:30 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
I vote for a tear or hole in the diaphram for the slide in the carb. It only takes a tiny hole.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
You don't have to remove the idle jet to "clean" it. Take a small strand of copper wire and stick it in there ( some guys carry an assortment of guitar strings for "cleaning" Jets on the trail) and use a piece of hose and blow through it to blow any crud out.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
I vote for a tear or hole in the diaphram for the slide in the carb. It only takes a tiny hole.

Fido
+ 1!
Another possibility (perhaps likely from the mangled choke cable), air leak around "choke" cable connection to carb; insufficient plunger penetration to close "choke."
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote