Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:28 AM   #1
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
2008 530 Countershaft seal-only leak when running?

Last week I rode the bike for several days. Last time I rode it, I noticed fresh oil coming from the seal. Never leaked there before; bike has about 60 hours on it. I was going to change the chain/sprockets etc. so I have it apart. I pulled the bushing out and cleaned the seal. It doesnt look too bad. There is no leak but is it that it will only leak when its in gear moving? I dont recall how this works.

Is the seal just the outer ring there and can you pull it off with a seal puller and clear the tab on the chain slider?

Just trying to decide if I should replace it. The bushing doesnt look bad, no ridges just some discoloration.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #2
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,964
countershaft seals will often only leak when the bike is running...there is some pressure behind it when the bike is running, the oil is hotter/thinner/mistier, and the shaft is turning inside the seal.

yes, the seal is just the outer ring....a metal body with a rubber seal on the inside. it's often a good idea to just go ahead and replace the spacer with it. they often come together in a "counter shaft seal repair kit".

seal pullers will sometimes work to get the seal out, but often not. a good technique if it won't pop out easily is to carefully drill two holes in the metal part of the seal--180* across from each other. (make sure go slowly and don't let the drill pop through quickly and hit the bearing behind it.) then screw some drywall screws (or other screws with big threads) into the holes slightly. then you can use vice grips or a crowbar or whatever on the screws to work the seal out.

CS seal leaks are pretty common (and not a bid deal to remedy). still, though, make sure you aren't setting your chain too tight as that is often a cause of leaking counter shaft seals. KTM chains, when properly tensioned, look like they are about to fall off the bike. as a result, a lot of people set them too tight.
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #3
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
countershaft seals will often only leak when the bike is running...there is some pressure behind it when the bike is running, the oil is hotter/thinner/mistier, and the shaft is turning inside the seal.

yes, the seal is just the outer ring....a metal body with a rubber seal on the inside. it's often a good idea to just go ahead and replace the spacer with it. they often come together in a "counter shaft seal repair kit".

seal pullers will sometimes work to get the seal out, but often not. a good technique if it won't pop out easily is to carefully drill two holes in the metal part of the seal--180* across from each other. (make sure go slowly and don't let the drill pop through quickly and hit the bearing behind it.) then screw some drywall screws (or other screws with big threads) into the holes slightly. then you can use vice grips or a crowbar or whatever on the screws to work the seal out.

CS seal leaks are pretty common (and not a bid deal to remedy). still, though, make sure you aren't setting your chain too tight as that is often a cause of leaking counter shaft seals. KTM chains, when properly tensioned, look like they are about to fall off the bike. as a result, a lot of people set them too tight.
Thanks for the quick reply. The chain was the original and I am Florida so its been on a steady diet of sand. Having said that I took care of it and some people would have still ran it but I can see the countershaft teeth with a slight curve so that is usually my signal to replace everything. I could have tightened it at some point too tight but I use the distance right behind the chain slider below the swingarm as per the manual. I have started running the chain on the loose side (my 950 ADV helped me with this) but knowing things were kind of trashed I may have run it tight this last go around (standard owners manual specs).

I will do the drill method, makes sense. Am hoping I can squeak the new one by the chain slider tab without have to remove the slider??
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #4
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Am hoping I can squeak the new one by the chain slider tab without have to remove the slider??
i'm pretty sure i did not have to remove the slider when i did mine, but it's been awhile, so i'm not completely sure.

if you do have to remove the slider, though, it's not a big deal. with the counter-sprocket out of the way, you can wriggle it off without having to pull the swingarm (or, at least you can on the 450...probably on your bike, too).
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #5
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i'm pretty sure i did not have to remove the slider when i did mine, but it's been awhile, so i'm not completely sure.

if you do have to remove the slider, though, it's not a big deal. with the counter-sprocket out of the way, you can wriggle it off without having to pull the swingarm (or, at least you can on the 450...probably on your bike, too).

Yep, I was easy with the seal puller and it came right out past the slider. I clipped the offending edge so the new one will have no clearance issues. I assume the red thick O ring up against the bearlings is what also comes in the kit to replace.

Everything looks really good and the shaft spins nice.

I was lucky enough in 2010 to pick up this 530 from a guy who broke a few ribs going down. (unfortunate for him). It only had 154 miles on it and had a steering stabilizer mounted otherwise was stock. It has never had a pressure washer on it which I learned through the years is death to bearings and other moving parts. Luckily in Florida as I stay out of mud holes you really dont need one to get them clean. My wheel bearings as well are a non issue. In time due to wear they will need replacing but the early death I brought on isnt an issue which is good.

Glad I made this post as I was temped to throw it back together. I could see after all that work the first ride its leaking and I would be pissed (my luck pretty much). Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #6
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

yes, the kit comes with that o-ring as well. and usually a new spring washer.
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #7
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

btw, i have not had good luck with the aftermarket countershaft seals (all balls, etc.) some people have had them work OK, though.

personally, i'd suggest getting the OEM kit. it's not much more expensive and it might save you having to redo the job after one ride...as happened to me on my DRZ using an all balls kit. it leaked 10 minutes into the first ride after i replaced it. then i redid the job with suzuki OEM, and it has not leaked in 10,000 miles.

when the one on my KTM started leaking, i just went straight with KTM OEM and it has not leaked again in 250 hours.
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #8
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
btw, i have not had good luck with the aftermarket countershaft seals (all balls, etc.) some people have had them work OK, though.

personally, i'd suggest getting the OEM kit. it's not much more expensive and it might save you having to redo the job after one ride...as happened to me on my DRZ using an all balls kit. it leaked 10 minutes into the first ride after i replaced it. then i redid the job with suzuki OEM, and it has not leaked in 10,000 miles.

when the one on my KTM started leaking, i just went straight with KTM OEM and it has not leaked again in 250 hours.
yep ordered from KTM. Will be great to have all that new and new chain/ sprockets plus going up two teeth on the back so looking forward to the change.

Just another note; you see on this board quite a bit about the 08 530s being a problem. Mine has never had oil issues, cam issues etc. Bout the only thing was a hot start issue when I first bought it and I put a JD jet kit in and no problem. Pulled all the emission crap off too. It will start in gear with the clutch in, no problem. I have about 60 hours on it and its been trouble free. Its stock with those exceptions above and a steering stabilizer along with Michelins non dot tires. I have been slightly over 100mph on pavement when i first got it (stock gearing but I added wheel weights) with more room to go and been 98 on the dirt. It has great power; still have the stock pipe on. Never really seen a reason to change it. I do wish I could lug 3rd down to almost zero rpms but that is really my only desire that it doesnt deliver. Been very pleased with this bike!!! My previous KTM thumper was an LC4 and I would take this motor any day. With an oil cooler and appropriate tires you could ride it on the road if you wished (think around town point a to b).

With the DOT tires I enjoyed passing an accelerating chopper on a two lane while my front tire just hovered off the ground in 4th while the cool dude looked over quite surprised that the little ole dirt bike was going to blast past him . Wonder how much $$$ he wasted on that hardtail POS. After the whole customer chopper bubble burst those things are a dime a dozen down here in Florida.

About the only thing I'll do to it is get the suspension done at both ends and just ride it!!! Been dumping money into the 950 over the past two years so the 530 getting sprockets is about the only love its seen.
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #9
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
With an oil cooler and appropriate tires you could ride it on the road if you wished (think around town point a to b).
i commute around the city on mine...even with knobbies and no oil cooler. it's great for it. much more fun than my DRZ.
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #10
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i commute around the city on mine...even with knobbies and no oil cooler. it's great for it. much more fun than my DRZ.

Nice, I would want to have some supermoto wheels/ tires. I had a 625 SMC and it was still the best city bike I have ever owned. That rubber and wheel size was cat's ass. I could have had a set of motard wheels for $600, cush hub and everything but lacked the cash at the time. I have my 950 for the city so it does the duty.
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #11
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

sumo wheels would be a blast, no doubt. but they ain't cheap. also, i trail ride or race my KTM every weekend. i'd get tired of switching out the wheels all the time.

if i had the money, though, i'd have a second one with sumo wheels on it for sure.
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #12
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
sumo wheels would be a blast, no doubt. but they ain't cheap. also, i trail ride or race my KTM every weekend. i'd get tired of switching out the wheels all the time.

if i had the money, though, i'd have a second one with sumo wheels on it for sure.

be a whole new world.....