Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #1531
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Fixing to do the rejetting of the carb. has anyone shimmed the needle up or does the rejetting take care of everything? Also anyone extended the kickstand? I don't remember my 2001"s being this short. Of course I have slept since then . Getting 68-70 mpg and having a blast on FS and single track with it.
For winter riding around here (below about 40 degrees fahrenheit), I went to a 132 main jet and shimmed the needle on my sherpa with a small washer. For summer riding, I took the shim out and put back in the 130 main jet as per the DrJeckle mod.

If someone is willing to take the time and patience, there are some serious gains to be made for jetting the bike properly with the snorkel removed from the top of the airbox. I tried it once, and there was definitely more grunt at the top end. But there was a HUGE lean spot at low/mid RPM that basically made the bike almost unrideable. Not impossible to sort out, but I'm not sure even where to start with that.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #1532
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
thanks

I pulled the pin, took some work, and I replaced the float valve. I also replaaced the counter sprocket seals and I swoitch out the petcock with the Yamaha one. No more leaks I hope anyways
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #1533
pantheman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dr Jeckle Carb Mods

Do the carb mods increase or decrease the fuel consumption?
Mine now consumes about 4.1lt/100km, is that too much?
pantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #1534
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Wifey's Sherpa is in the shop, so I can't sneak out and check myself. I want to order her a RAM ball that mounts by replacing one of the top clamp bolts. Product is here:

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-moto...am-b-367u.html

Would someone please confirm whether the Sherpa uses 8mm bolts?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #1535
pantheman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
I finished the carb mod earlier this evening & took her out for a test ride. Warm-up time was a lot faster and started easier. On the way out of the driveway the tire was spinning in the gravel without even trying.
It has quite a bit more low end grunt in 2nd gear, & 3rd-6th seems to be about the same with maybe a slight bit more power but seems to be smoother with no hesitations. I'm not sure about 1st gear yet because it wasn't quite warmed up yet. It seems to be idling a little slower now which I think is better.
My carb had a brass plug that needed drilled out not epoxy, I started with an 1/8th and worked up to 3/16ths or one size larger & what was left caught on the drill bit, spun & came right out. The screw that needed adjusted to 2 & 3/4 turns from all the way in only needed turned a quarter of a turn because it was already out 3 full turns.
The valves were in spec so no adjustment needed at 2800 miles. When I bought the bike in april it had just under 1500 miles & it a 2000 model.
I just hope my mileage doesn't decrease, a tank will tell this coming week.
and what about consumption , how is it now with the Dr Jeckle mod , has it gone up or down??
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #1536
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman View Post
and what about consumption , how is it now with the Dr Jeckle mod , has it gone up or down??
I can't tell yet since I have injured my back & havn't been able to ride & or finish off the tank. I'll let you know as soon as i'm able to ride again though.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #1537
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,291
Seems to me common sense that increase jet size = increase fuel consumption..
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #1538
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
The jet size increase isn't very large, and if you're running less lean, you'll get more power out of the engine, so less throttle opening, and potential the same or less fuel consumption.

So it's more complicated than just bigger = more fuel consumption.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #1539
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
The jet size increase isn't very large, and if you're running less lean, you'll get more power out of the engine, so less throttle opening, and potential the same or less fuel consumption.

So it's more complicated than just bigger = more fuel consumption.
BS, how many jets have you replaced in carbs?

Never in my experience that running the same engine with richer fuel intake by increasing jet size would consume less fuel.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #1540
pantheman
Adventurer

Its a nice debate , Anyone else with consumption facts from Dr Jeckle΄s carb mods??

How about a FCR???lol ,
Seriously has anyone tried that??

if it actually does consume more , it will be a shame , because basically Im lookin to decrease the cosumption that the short Thibetian guy has,
4ltrs/100kms is not that low isnt it, ?? I think our bike is a litle hungry on fuel!

Ps
I'll go with Mr Tomatoe, I've seen a similar situation on a FCR'ed DRZ 400SM that was consuming a litle less fuel than before ,thats with reasonable throtle opening offcourse.

pantheman screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 11:29 AM
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #1541
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman View Post

How about a FCR???lol ,
Seriously has anyone tried that??
If the DrJeckle mod makes it consume more gas, I never noticed. I got about 60-70 MPG before and after the mod. My riding style and what I was riding (back roads, dirt, single track, etc.) had a lot more of an effect on the mileage.

Someone on the Super Sherpa yahoo group put the flat-slide carb from an XR250R in a Sherpa. Join the group and take a look in the message archive, and you'll find the info.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #1542
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
It's not that simple.

There is a mixture which is most efficient; a reduction in jet size that gives a leaner mixture will also result in increased fuel consumption.

The mixture that gives most power is slightly richer than the most economical mixture, so the job of a well set up carby (or fuel injection) is to provide the most efficient (and therefore economical) mixture at all throttle settings except full throttle, when it should be slightly richer for maximum power.

Of course emissions considerations further complicate matters, and it is possible the standard Sherpa carby settings are leaner than ideal for economy in order to minimise emissions.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #1543
Cat0020
El cheapo

We're not talking about efficiency nor economy, just fuel consumption.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1544
lgottler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I expected my economy to go down after the jetting, but after 2000 miles with the rejet, I don't think anything has changed. First 6-7 tanks netted an average of about 72mpg with a best of 81ish. When I fill up I always check my MPG on my phone and I typically get between 71-75 for normal commuting duties with the re-jet. Today I got 65mpg, but I have been bad this week using more throttle than needed (long work week, I take it out on traffic).
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #1545
pantheman
Adventurer

My filter oil cap ,bleeds oil , what do I have put there??? Is it a part I can find only from Kawasaki or I can just go and buy a Viton O-ring and seal it???