Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #1591
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Have you ever considered how much weight you are adding to your Sherpa by carrying all the metal rack, tool tube, fasteners, etc..

BTW, take off those passenger pegs that would save you a couple of lbs.
Adding weight? No doubt, but consider....................

The rack is necessary to hold the soft saddlebags I use away from the exhaust on one side, and weighs about 3-4#. If I want to carry tools, and I do, they have to go somewhere and the tool tube, with tools, will probably be 6-8#....10# maximum I'd think.. I'll also be packing the bags with cloths and necessary items for the trip....add about, what, another 25-30# including the saddlebags and tail bag. The passenger pegs are another place to allow moving around a bit to do a 400 mile (or more) day on such a non-tour intended bike.

Now....I weigh about 155#, so even with the added weight of the things I've added to do my expected 2000 Mi. trip, my GVW will still only be about that of a SS with a 200# rider (probably quite common). On shake-down trips of over 500 miles each, earlier this summer, with everything except the tool tube I just added, I still got 70+ MPG.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #1592
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,262
I'm 150 lb. myself, having ridden on and off-pavement a bit, I learned that the less hardware you have on your bike the easier it is to maneuver and pick up you bike.. and less fatigue you will experience.

Personally I carry as little as I can, especially when I'm traveling in well developed area, tools and services are easily accessible.
Metal racks may look rugged, but its weight is (more or less) permanently on the bike, in case of a spill, it is more likely to bend the subframe.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #1593
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Point taken. Still traveling rather light and prepared for glitches that hopefully won't happen. Thanks

Lynn
Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #1594
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Good subject. Keeping the bike weight light but prepared

EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #1595
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Just a few things remain to get ready for a trip to the Denver area next week.
Good mod on the tube a few posts back...can't get anything in the stock tube. I think I'll do something like what you've done. Thx for sharing.

Have a great and safe trip next week!
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #1596
lgottler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Epic Fail! My windscreen attempt was a huge failure! It stays there, its just it directs the wind into the top of my helmet in such a way that it shakes my head all over!!

I'm going to try and bend it more vertical and tweak the top a bit to see if I can get the air OVER my helmet!

I was laughing at myself on the way home with it, I felt like I was stuck in a paint shaker!
lgottler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #1597
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
Epic Fail! My windscreen attempt was a huge failure! It stays there, its just it directs the wind into the top of my helmet in such a way that it shakes my head all over!!

I'm going to try and bend it more vertical and tweak the top a bit to see if I can get the air OVER my helmet!

I was laughing at myself on the way home with it, I felt like I was stuck in a paint shaker!
Are those water bottles or fuel cans or what on the front of your bike ?
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #1598
pnewsom
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello Everyone,
Just bought a 2003 Sherpa up here in Ottawa, Canada. The bike is in great condition with 3800kms on it. So far just messing around at home with it until I get it licensed. What fun!
Looking forward to learning from others about my new bike.
Are there better aftermarket seats for Sherpas?
Thanks
Peter
Attached Images

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #1599
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Too bad that's not working...it actually looks pretty good compared to some others I've seen on the SS.

Rather than bend, perhaps one of those add on/bolt on windscreen blade/spoilers that attach to the top of the screen might do the trick. Those kind of look cool too, imo. Twisted Throttle has them (MRA brand), but I’ll bet you can find them a lot cheaper other places. Just a thought.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be easy and cheap to make a blade spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post

XRWilly screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 10:12 AM
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #1600
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
Just bought a 2003 Sherpa up here in Ottawa, Canada. The bike is in great condition with 3800kms on it. So far just messing around at home with it until I get it licensed. What fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
Are there better aftermarket seats for Sherpas?
Not that I've seen. Check through the thread for a seat pad everyone seems to like.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #1601
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Tool Tube Find!

We were talking tool tubes a couple posts up and Iíve since got a tip on a 12 in x 3 ľ inch tool tube listed on a Ag-Supply Site CLICK. Itís $5 plus $5 shipping, so $10Ö$17 with reduced shipping for two. Heard some good comments from guyz using these on bikes and the listing actually says mc use. Not sure I could make a pvc tube that low unless I had the materials laying around.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #1602
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
We were talking tool tubes a couple posts up and Iíve since got a tip on a 12 in x 3 ľ inch tool tube listed on a Ag-Supply Site CLICK. Itís $5 plus $5 shipping, so $10Ö$17 with reduced shipping for two. Heard some good comments from guyz using these on bikes and the listing actually says mc use. Not sure I could make a pvc tube that low unless I had the materials laying around.
I noticed it's sold as a operator's manual cannister. There's one on my compact tractor and also on my zero-turn mower. If it's similar to those they're a little thin. I wonder how they'd hold up against vibrations with the weight of tools rather than operator's manuals? Maybe with a different mounting method, other than the tangs that show, they might hold up OK? Just wondering out loud.

Lynn
Old 09-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #1603
lgottler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Are those water bottles or fuel cans or what on the front of your bike ?
Those are MSR fuel bottles. I built it to hold those or water ones. I actually made prints up and stuff and was considering making about 50 and seeing if they sold, but I got busy with other stuff. I wanted to buy a high fender and see if it still worked.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #1604
lgottler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
Too bad that's not working...it actually looks pretty good compared to some others I've seen on the SS.

Rather than bend, perhaps one of those add on/bolt on windscreen blade/spoilers that attach to the top of the screen might do the trick. Those kind of look cool too, imo. Twisted Throttle has them (MRA brand), but Iíll bet you can find them a lot cheaper other places. Just a thought.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be easy and cheap to make a blade spoiler.
I'm going to check out those spoilers for ideas, thanks! I'm a cheap kinda guy, if I can build it I will!

I actually bent the top vertical and think that might have been the problem. Today I bent the top actually down a bit and noticed zero head buffeting, but I didn't have the wind protection I hoped for. Second test I bent the whole bracket more vertical and it started to buffet my head again. I might try just keeping the top straight and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #1605
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,262
IMO, try putting some space between the headlight fairing and your windshield, use come tubular spacers and longer mounting bolts, even out the air pressure before and after the shield may allow cleaner airflow above the shield.