Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #151
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Where did you order the braided lines from? I didn't know there were any available for the Sherpa. Got part numbers?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #152
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
Where did you order the braided lines from? I didn't know there were any available for the Sherpa. Got part numbers?
Based on a suggetion by another rider from the Sherpa group, the line I got was made for the KTM125EXC (04-08) from 1tail.com
It is longer than the stock (1.3m vs 1.1m) but I have not installed it yet so YMMV. Part number is HBF5031 mfg by Hel.

Good luck!
Ken

sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #153
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't forget to report back on how it works when you get the brake line installed! If the fittings are right, I don't see the extra length being a big problem.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #154
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Looking to buy another small bike tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between a sherpa and the xt225. They look to be very similar bikes with the only exception being the sherpas' extra 25cc. Anyone recommend the sherpa over the xt225? Both bikes are lightly used and priced within a couple hundred of each other. Looks like after market stuff might be more readily available for the xt. My first bike was a kawi 250 and I think it's 'cause of sentimental reasons that I'm leaning this way.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #155
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

There are some other differences to consider. The Sherpa has a full stainless exhaust, twin-cam 4-valve head, aluminum swingarm, digital gauges, and a rear disc brake. But in the end it will probably boil down to whichever bike feels more comfortable to you.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #156
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
There are some other differences to consider. The Sherpa has a full stainless exhaust, twin-cam 4-valve head, aluminum swingarm, digital gauges, and a rear disc brake. But in the end it will probably boil down to whichever bike feels more comfortable to you.
Does the sherpa have shim and bucket valves or screw and locknut?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #157
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Does the sherpa have shim and bucket valves or screw and locknut?
Shim and bucket. But the check/adjustment interval is long (7500 miles). They don't tend to go out of spec very quickly so long as you keep the oil changed regularly. And rejetting with DrJeckle's jets will help as well, keeping the exhaust temps down.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #158
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Looking to buy another small bike tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between a sherpa and the xt225. They look to be very similar bikes with the only exception being the sherpas' extra 25cc. Anyone recommend the sherpa over the xt225? Both bikes are lightly used and priced within a couple hundred of each other. Looks like after market stuff might be more readily available for the xt. My first bike was a kawi 250 and I think it's 'cause of sentimental reasons that I'm leaning this way.
I think both the Super Sherpa and XT225 are great bikes. I have a Sherpa and here are a few more differences between the bikes:

1. Sherpa holds 1.6 qts oil. XT225 holds 1.0 qt.
2. Sherpa has a 520 drive chain. XT225 has a 428 drive chain.
3. Sherpa has rear linked suspension running on needle bearings. XT225 has shock on swingarm suspension with the swingarm running on bushings. Grease fittings are provided to lube the bushings.

Potential issues:

The Sherpa & XT225 are coldblooded and may benefit from a carb jetting change. My Sherpa has stock jetting and I live at ~4000ft elev. I've ridden as high as 13,000ft elev and it has always started & run amazingly well with the stock jetting.

The XT225 may have an issue with broken spokes depending on how big you are and where you ride it. Checkout www.xt225.com for more info.

I'm 6ft 180 lbs and am pretty comfortable riding the Sherpa. My two most favorite rides this year were on my Sherpa (I also have a KLR) - I rode the Alpine loop in Colorado. This was a 78 mile ride over 4 passes close to 13,000 ft elev - Cinnamon, Engineer, California, and Hurricane. I also rode the White Rim Trail (106 miles) solo counterclockwise in a little less than 7 hours.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #159
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Does anyone know the stator output in watts?

What wattage is the stock head light?

Can I upgrade to a brighter bulb?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #160
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
15Amps@14V = 210W @7000RPM(!)
Stock headlight 12V 60/55W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-07-2008 at 02:44 PM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #161
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
I am also evaluating the Super Sherpa vs. XT250. I have been over to the XT225/250 website, but have not found one similar for the SuperSherpa. Not sure which one I will go with yet, but it sure looks like a very close call. The '09 Super Sherpas have not arrived in the showrooms yet, but the dealers tell me they will be here in just a couple of more months.

I want something that will get me into Mexico by road and allow me the flexibility of going off-road when getting to various destinations. I have also been looking at the various motards, but I see they all seem to be liquid-cooled.

Thanks in advance for any advice concerning either the Super Sherpa or the XT250. Turbo City seems to have a nice set of farkles for both bikes.

Mike

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 12-07-2008 at 04:42 PM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #162
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1

Stock headlight is a 65/55 watt H4 halogen bulb. I would not go with a higher wattage bulb without replacing the stock wiring with something beefier. You might also need to replace the bulb socket and possibly the reflector with something that can take more heat. The reflector/lens assembly and mounting bracket are the same parts as an 07-older KLR 650.

Stator output is spec'd as 15amps, 14 volts, at 7k RPM. So that would make it 210 watts.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #163
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
I am also evaluating the Super Sherpa vs. XT250. I have been over to the XT225/250 website, but have not found one similar for the SuperSherpa. Not sure which one I will go with yet, but it sure looks like a very close call. The '09 Super Sherpas have not arrived in the showrooms yet, but the dealers tell me they will be here in just a couple of more months.

I want something that will get me into Mexico by road and allow me the flexibility of going off-road when getting to various destinations. I have also been looking at the various motards, but I they all seem to be liquid-cooled.

Thanks in advance for any advice concerning either the Super Sherpa or the XT250. Turbo City seems to have a nice set of farkles for both bikes.

Mike
They're both good bikes. The new Yamaha is the 225 bumped up to 250cc.

In a serious lapse of judgement, Yamaha took the 6-speed away and it's now a 5-speed. The XT-225 had one of the best transmissions in the world of motorcycles. But, the Sherpa is another bike with a very good (6-speed) trans.

Virtually all Kawasakis "clunk" into gear, especially from neutral to 1st and frequently 1st to 2nd (that doesn't make them bad transmissions, though). The Super Sherpa trans is smooth as butter.

The XT has finally been given a rear disc brake. The headlight is probably better than the Sherpa's.

But, as I said in the first sentence, they are both good bikes. If you like one, you will like the other. Get the one that you like - either one - and you'll be happy.
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #164
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,401
Sherpa in white ...

= = = =
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #165
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1
I'm 6ft 180 lbs and am pretty comfortable riding the Sherpa.
+1 to that.

I'm about the same size as you and recently did my first extended ride on my Sherpa: about 120 miles on rural roads. Cake for some people, maybe, but as a new rider on a new-to-me bike, it was a test of sorts. I was totally comfortable except for the cold, which mainly affected my hands. I had temps in the low-40s/hi-50s and foggy damp conditions. Thinking now about better gloves and/or some type of handguards/brushguards as a wind break.