User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #1696
bmarkel
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2009 Super Sherpa for Sale

I am new to this forum and found no "for sale" section.
I have a 2009 Super Sherpa for sale in southern Indiana. 1903mi. Have installed stiffer Progressive Suspension springs in front forks (also flushed used fish oil and replaced with Mobile One), hand guards, Kawa tail rack and richer jet in carb. Mint. 90% of miles on paved back roads. Same bike on Yahoo group for $3,500.00. Seems like a fair price.
Selling because I want to play with the more powerful and street oriented Versys.
Is this where I post a bike for sale?
I fabricated mud flap. BMW bikes have aftermarket equivalents for every oil head ever made. It's just a given to buy one for a new BMW. I went to an industrial supply place and bought reinforced gasket material. Used tin shears and got the general shape about right. Then riveted to fender and trimmed with shears while on bike to look symmetrical. Really helps keep crap off the air cooled engine.
I also have for sale a high front fender for the Sherpa.
There is a huge amount of info on the Sherpa at: Http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...i_super_sherpa.
All sorts of mods, how to do and tech info. I got the part numbers for the Progressive Suspension springs and the jet from that group, as well as instructions for installation.
You may be interested to know that Kawa makes a bolt on oil cooler for this little jewel (must order for Australia version). The USA engine and frame are the same as the Australian version. The site has complete instructions for ordering bolt on kit or building your own if you like.
Attached Images

bmarkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #1697
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
A couple followup thoughts on the TCI Bash Plate and Engine Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
Here’s what I got in the TCI kit...there is one bolt and one washer missing that are supposed to replace the front bash plate bolt. The stock bolt worked okay.
Actually, no…the stock bolt did not work okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
…as you can see in the next photo, the guard seems very close to the brake pedal (1 inches; 45 mm) such that you might perhaps get a toe on the guard when trying to apply the brake pedal.

I can confirm that this ^^ is definitely an issue and it’s going to take some time for me to get used to. I hit the back of the guard with my toe several times. Definitely not something that would make me reconsider the mod. All mods are going to affect something. Just something to keep in mind with these guards. There was no interference on the left side.

I did 125 miles this morning…damn cold out! The bash plate and guard did okay, but I wasn’t in anything too gnarly today. On the highway, you can hear it sing pretty good with the wind running through it.

XRWilly screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 03:20 PM
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #1698
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,765
Took the Sherpa out on the farm put on 25-30 miles of 1-2nd gear putting. Changed the oil /filter app 200 mile since top end rebuild ,lots of metal flakes in the filter . looks like all aluminium. Service manager at KW Dealer told me not to worry about an oil change for 3000 or so miles .Going to change it again at 200-250 miles and see.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #1699
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
I would have sent the oil out to get analyzed for estimate engine wear and operating temp.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #1700
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
What's everyone running as far as tires? Looking for better than the Deathwings that won't break the bank. Tempted to try a set of MT43s but have read one account of them being too tall. If I go with knobbys, I'm thinking a Kenda TrakMaster in the rear, but not sure about the front, as the TM front tire is reported to be "vague".
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #1701
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickid View Post
What's everyone running as far as tires? Looking for better than the Deathwings that won't break the bank. Tempted to try a set of MT43s but have read one account of them being too tall. If I go with knobbys, I'm thinking a Kenda TrakMaster in the rear, but not sure about the front, as the TM front tire is reported to be "vague".
What sort of tire are you after? Do you want a true knobby or something more 50/50? I put a set of Shinko 244's on my wife's sherpa for 50/50 tires and they have worked out great. The set was about $65. If you want more of a knobby I would suggest the Michelin t63 rear as it tends to run a little on the small side.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #1702
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Wow... Advrider must have had email notification constipation! I haven't posted in... who knows how long. In the past day, I've received numerous "Reply to thread 'XXXXX' " which includes this one, and I come back and see that the Super Sherpa thread has not only been posted to, it's been pretty active!

I had to go back to, like July - and even then, my last view must have been older than that. So, I read up.... fuel consumption argument, nifty tool tubes, Super Suz has a cool paint job and rides in areas that I know (Goler Wash, etc - will check out the videos later), brake questions... did I miss anything? ~ any oil threads?

On the more recent brakes issue: anyone who thinks the Sherpa has bad brakes has never been on a KLR-650, and /or something else is wrong! My brakes were spongy last spring, and a flush made a huge difference. I think the Sherpa's brakes are pretty good.

I didn't ride near as much this year as previous years. ...Working more for less money lately.
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #1703
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Tempted to try a set of MT43s but have read one account of them being too tall. If I go with knobbys, I'm thinking a Kenda TrakMaster in the rear, but not sure about the front, as the TM front tire is reported to be "vague".
I ran a Kenda Trakmaster II in 100/100-18 on the rear, no problems at all.

For the front, look at a Kenda Washougal Sticky, in 90/90-21. I'd run rimlocks with both tires if you're planning on doing anything remotely off-road.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #1704
dgomezhall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Putting my Sherpa up for sale

As much as I love my little sherpa, I'm just too big for it, and have decided to move up to a Dakar...If anyone's interested or know's anyone who might be here's the link to the ADV flea market post... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736444

I know I'm gonna miss this thing! Just can't justify having two bikes right now.
dgomezhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #1705
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgomezhall View Post
As much as I love my little sherpa, I'm just too big for it, and have decided to move up to a Dakar...If anyone's interested or know's anyone who might be here's the link to the ADV flea market post... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736444

I know I'm gonna miss this thing! Just can't justify having two bikes right now.
Seems to me a bit overpriced, I bought my 01 Sherpa for less than 2/3 what you're asking with 4k mi. on the bike and better cosmetic cond. Maybe that's fair pricing for CA, I guess everything cost more in CA.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #1706
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Thanks for the tire suggestions, might just throw a pair of TrakMasters on, front and rear. If the front end is as vague as they say, I'll try something different, or sell the tire, or something. I'll let you know how it goes when I pull the trigger!
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #1707
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Bmarkel

Hey BMarkel, any chance you will sell the stock, kawasaki rear rack? I have been looking for one for months. I dont think it will lower the value of your bike etc.

Let me know, I need a stock rack:)!

Thanks, Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #1708
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
If only Kawasaki would sell the Stockman rear rack for Sherpas. I've got one on my Sherpa, it's rated one ANZSS (One Australia/New Zealand Standard Sheepdog, 20kg), it fits well, it's rock solid as you would expect a factory designed rack...

Here's an old photo from the Global Tagorama thread.

eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #1709
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,536
Quote:

My next setup will be a D606 front and a trials rear.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #1710
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,765
I am running IRC GP-1 on both ends. Used them on my KLR 650 two rears to one front. app 3500 miles to the rears. Also had them on a 2008 Xt 250 had 2800 miles on them when I sold it about 2/3 left on the rear. Great on the pavement ,I could drag the pegs, centerstand on the KLR, great in loose gravel,sand,ect. fair in light mud worthless in heavy mud.Tried the Kendas with the same tread pattern worked ok ,rubber was a harder compound. After they wore in they made a hum on pavement that drove me nuts.