ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #166
Thumpero
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 21
Help! I screwed up the carby!

Oh man, Ive done it now. I just did the Dr. Jekyll jet upgrade on the 2002 Sherpa. Now the bike wont start and I need some help.

The first problem involves a very small diameter hose that comes off a hard plastic elbow on the left side of the carb (riders left, while astride the bike). The end of the hose away from the carb pulled free as I was moving the carb. Where does it go? I thought it was simply a drain tube. But now Im not so sure.

Any ideas on how to approach the bike not starting? It started once after I did the jet installation. Now it cranks strongly but wont start. It started okay before klutz the wrench here worked on it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thumpero
Thumpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #167
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer
 
tomatoe333's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Back on the east side
Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpero
Oh man, Ive done it now. I just did the Dr. Jekyll jet upgrade on the 2002 Sherpa. Now the bike wont start and I need some help.

The first problem involves a very small diameter hose that comes off a hard plastic elbow on the left side of the carb (riders left, while astride the bike). The end of the hose away from the carb pulled free as I was moving the carb. Where does it go? I thought it was simply a drain tube. But now Im not so sure.

Any ideas on how to approach the bike not starting? It started once after I did the jet installation. Now it cranks strongly but wont start. It started okay before klutz the wrench here worked on it.
There are two hoses that come out of the left side of the carb. One is a small diameter drain hose that goes down and back between the engine and the rear shock. There should also be a similar drain hose on the right side of the carb. There is another slightly larger vent hose that comes out very close to the drain hose fitting, and goes up, around the shock, and back to next to the air box snorkel. There should be a small fitting on the rider's left side of the snorkel where the L-shaped end of the vent hose can be put.

As far as the not starting, check that you reconnected the vacuum hose to the fuel petcock and the fitting on the cylinder head. Also, try putting the petcock into Prime position and cranking the bike. My experience is that you do still need full choke to get a cold Sherpa to fire, even after the DrJekle jetting is done.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #168
Thumpero
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 21
Thumb Thank you Tomatoe333!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
There are two hoses that come out of the left side of the carb. One is a small diameter drain hose that goes down and back between the engine and the rear shock. There should also be a similar drain hose on the right side of the carb. There is another slightly larger vent hose that comes out very close to the drain hose fitting, and goes up, around the shock, and back to next to the air box snorkel. There should be a small fitting on the rider's left side of the snorkel where the L-shaped end of the vent hose can be put.

As far as the not starting, check that you reconnected the vacuum hose to the fuel petcock and the fitting on the cylinder head. Also, try putting the petcock into Prime position and cranking the bike. My experience is that you do still need full choke to get a cold Sherpa to fire, even after the DrJekle jetting is done.
You're my hero. You we're right on the money. I'd neglected to connect the fuel petcock to the cylinder head. I plugged it in and she cranked right up --- my day is going considerably better. What a great on line community! Many, many thanks, Tomatoe333.
Thumpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #169
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere
 
GsVs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hoosier (IN) USA
Oddometer: 1,373
Difference ??

Hey Thumpero ....

After you have gone thru a few cold start-ups .... reply back and tell us the difference the jetting change made to your Sherpa ....

Thanks ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpero
You're my hero. You we're right on the money. I'd neglected to connect the fuel petcock to the cylinder head. I plugged it in and she cranked right up --- my day is going considerably better. What a great on line community! Many, many thanks, Tomatoe333.
__________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
Honda
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #170
Justin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey Thumpero ....

After you have gone thru a few cold start-ups .... reply back and tell us the difference the jetting change made to your Sherpa ....

Thanks ....
Stock jetting, needs a healthy 10 minutes and 5 miles to warm up.
130/20 Jetting, 3-4 minutes and 1-2 miles to warm up.
And noticeable increase in acceleration/power. Not huge, but it's there.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #171
svrider
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: MA
Oddometer: 7
im interested in a dual sport for a winter commuter and summer beater. i wouldn't be doing much highway only a rare 30mi strech but i would like to take my mountain bike with me, so chock that up as 45lbs of gear. plus i am 6' 250lbs how will the sherpa take it. i would consider my self a seasoned rider and would like to shy away from the standard klr650. thanks for any help.
svrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #172
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sekalilagi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Motown, West Virginia
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrider
im interested in a dual sport for a winter commuter and summer beater. i wouldn't be doing much highway only a rare 30mi strech but i would like to take my mountain bike with me, so chock that up as 45lbs of gear. plus i am 6' 250lbs how will the sherpa take it. i would consider my self a seasoned rider and would like to shy away from the standard klr650. thanks for any help.
I've got the same vital statistics as you... she runs ok but has to work up the hills. If 40-45mph is good with you, then I don't think there'll be a problem. It was about 30 when I ventured out today... the cold air makes it feel a little peppier. BTW just added the reasonably priced heated grips from Trackside and they work nicely. A little trimming required but no fuss otherwise. The controller sits right below the dash on the top triple... like it was meant to be there :)



__________________
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. - John F Kennedy


sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #173
tweeder
Farkle Queen
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Chico, CA
Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekalilagi
I've got the same vital statistics as you... she runs ok but has to work up the hills. If 40-45mph is good with you, then I don't think there'll be a problem. It was about 30 when I ventured out today... the cold air makes it feel a little peppier. BTW just added the reasonably priced heated grips from Trackside and they work nicely. A little trimming required but no fuss otherwise. The controller sits right below the dash on the top triple... like it was meant to be there :)



What kind of bars and bark busters do you have there? I got a set of cheapo bark busters for my wife's sherpa and they just don't fit right. I like how clean your set up is
__________________
Tread Lightly
tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #174
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sekalilagi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Motown, West Virginia
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder
What kind of bars and bark busters do you have there? I got a set of cheapo bark busters for my wife's sherpa and they just don't fit right. I like how clean your set up is
Thanks for the compliment The handguards are Tusk p/n 1096330001 that I got from Rocky Mtn ATV Link
Nothing exciting with the install, just have to open up the ends of the handgrips. I had already planned on adding the risers but if you elect not to, some creative routing of cables might be necessary. It'd still work (tried it) ...there's just 'one spot' that the clamp goes that makes it all come together. With the riser, there is a little more flexibility of how you pick the angle of the guards.

The handlebars are stock with addition of another value priced Tusk riser p/n 1134270003. Link goood luck
__________________
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. - John F Kennedy


sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #175
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Twinsteel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sacto, CA
Oddometer: 464
Any problem meeting the electrical needs of those heated grips on the little Sherpa?
__________________
Bikeless for now.
Twinsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #176
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sekalilagi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Motown, West Virginia
Oddometer: 495
So far only limited time spent with the grips. They get warm and a restart is about as fussy as always (still haven't installed Dr Jekle's jets). When we get slightly better weather, I'll stick a voltmeter on and do a little testing.
__________________
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. - John F Kennedy


sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #177
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Between Here and There
Oddometer: 992
I am wondering if anyone can help me out?

Unless I was dreaming, I am sure I ran across some pics of an aftermarket set of plastics for the Sherpa that were pretty radically different looking. I remember it having a sort of "beak" and a different style of headlight(s).

I thought it was on this site, I don't cruise many bike forums. I was trying to find pics to show a friend, and of course could find no trace.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #178
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sekalilagi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Motown, West Virginia
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider
I am wondering if anyone can help me out?

Unless I was dreaming, I am sure I ran across some pics of an aftermarket set of plastics for the Sherpa that were pretty radically different looking. I remember it having a sort of "beak" and a different style of headlight(s).

I thought it was on this site, I don't cruise many bike forums. I was trying to find pics to show a friend, and of course could find no trace.

were you thinking of this post? Those are Uly headlights...
__________________
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. - John F Kennedy


sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #179
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Between Here and There
Oddometer: 992
Nope Nope. I've spent hour pouring through this and any other thread I can find.

Definitely a different front fairing, I think it had additional off-road lights on either side, and a very BMW-like beak.

My memory is fuzzy, but I thought some shop in Washington state maybe was developing it? Perhaps its only in the prototype phase...

But I am going sorta crazy trying to rediscover it, I am sure I stumbled across it sometime in the past month or so.

If its not here, and I do rediscover it, I will provide a link.

Edit - I found the link : http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,6680.0.html I've read through that entire thread, and I still have no idea what forum and what thread led me to it, but somewhere someone was discussing something along the same lines as a kit for the Sherpa... and yeah, I realize those are the bigger KLRs.

Voidrider screwed with this post 12-18-2008 at 11:23 PM
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #180
mugwump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: 43.4582N,76.5210W
Oddometer: 146
Was someone looking for a different fender?
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...h%20Fender.htm
__________________
North of I-90 Zone 3 KLX300SF
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014