Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #181
Lobo
Wayfaring Strangely

Oddometer: 128
I just saw that Kawasaki is bringing back the Super Sherpa for 2009. Sweet.

Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #182
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
I just saw that Kawasaki is bringing back the Super Sherpa for 2009. Sweet.

Moma Kaw messed up, that front fender is a joke, what happened to the old high front fender models? I live in VA and went to buy one for my wife for Xmas but was told they will not be available until late Feb.
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #183
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306
Moma Kaw messed up, that front fender is a joke, what happened to the old high front fender models? I live in VA and went to buy one for my wife for Xmas but was told they will not be available until late Feb.
The Sherpa never came with a high-mount fender as a stock part in the USA. If you want one, the KLR250 fender is a bolt-on replacement. Just order one when you order the bike, and use the 4 screws out of the old front fender to put it on.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #184
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306
+1
It seems odd that they spent a couple of years selling rather attractive ones to the rest of the world - the '06 and '07's have a high front guard, and are black/silver, and now they are going back to the low guard and army green to re-release them into the states.
It's a chicks bike FFS, why can't they keep it looking nice?
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #185
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie!
...It's a chicks bike FFS, why can't they keep it looking nice?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #186
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
I meant it in the nicest possible way
I would expect women to comprise a larger-than-average proportion of the sherpa's target market. With this in mind, keeping it looking reasonably attractive would be a sensible move, especially if they are wanting to compete with the newly facelifted XT250.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #187
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I meant it in the nicest possible way
I would expect women to comprise a larger-than-average proportion of the sherpa's target market. With this in mind, keeping it looking reasonably attractive would be a sensible move, especially if they are wanting to compete with the newly facelifted XT250.
Yeah, yeah. And the HD Sportster 883 is a girl's bike too. Bronson would be surprised to know that!

I've actually been comparing the XT250 with the Super Sherpa. I haven't decided yet as I am waiting for the Super Sherpa to get to the showrooms so I can do a seat test and get a closer look at it. I don't like the fact that the pilot screw is encased on the XT250. Why would they do this? I am also wondering if I'll get the multiple orgasms option when I get my sex change operation

Old 12-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #188
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
+1
It seems odd that they spent a couple of years selling rather attractive ones to the rest of the world - the '06 and '07's have a high front guard, and are black/silver, and now they are going back to the low guard and army green to re-release them into the states.
It's a chicks bike FFS, why can't they keep it looking nice?
gawd I'm gender inappropriate! I wonder what of my other scoots?

sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #189
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekalilagi
gawd I'm gender inappropriate! I wonder what of my other scoots?
I think the new rule is that anything less than 1,000cc for street, or less than 650cc for dirt, is considered a girl's bike. I wonder what the women ride?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #190
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:

I don't like the fact that the pilot screw is encased on the XT250. Why would they do this?
What's this you say? Do you mean something other than the typical brass plug? I can't imagine anything else.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #191
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
What's this you say? Do you mean something other than the typical brass plug? I can't imagine anything else.
Yes, why is that there on the XT? I would like the pilot screw to be accessible to the rider. Was this some type of emissions control preventive measure taken by Yamaha?

Is the pilot screw free to access on the Sherpa?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #192
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Quote:
I've actually been comparing the XT250 with the Super Sherpa. I haven't decided yet as I am waiting for the Super Sherpa to get to the showrooms so I can do a seat test and get a closer look at it. I don't like the fact that the pilot screw is encased on the XT250. Why would they do this? I am also wondering if I'll get the multiple orgasms option when I get my sex change operation
I've had a sit on the new XT, and it feels about the same as my '06 sherpa. I haven't ridden one, but the engine specs look very similar.
The little plastic 'radiator' shroud things on the tank of the XT look like they would break easily, but the sherp is thoroughly droppable (once you've installed handguards).
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #193
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Yes, why is that there on the XT? I would like the pilot screw to be accessible to the rider. Was this some type of emissions control preventive measure taken by Yamaha?

Is the pilot screw free to access on the Sherpa?
Pretty much every street bike with carbs these days has something preventing you from playing with the pilot screw(s).

There is a plug over the pilot screw on the Sherpa's carb, but 5 minutes with a drill/screw, and it's history.

I doubt they'll have changed the carb jetting on the 09 Sherpa, so it'll benefit from DrJekle's rejetting, one part of which is removing the brass plug from the pilot screw and setting it properly.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #194
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've had a sit on the new XT, and it feels about the same as my '06 sherpa. I haven't ridden one, but the engine specs look very similar.
The little plastic 'radiator' shroud things on the tank of the XT look like they would break easily, but the sherp is thoroughly droppable (once you've installed handguards).
Yep, I am actually leaning towards the Sherpa now. Just gotta do the seat test. What kind of top end speed are you seeing on asphalt with the Sherpa?

Not sure why they geared down to 5-speed from 6-speed on the new XT. It would be interesting to see some power/torque curves.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #195
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
...one part of which is removing the brass plug from the pilot screw and setting it properly.
Bummer, so the Sherpa has this plug also. My issue with having the pilot screw accessible is for altitude settings.