User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #1951
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,388
lowering links

Just wanted to let you folks know, i just posted a set of lowering links for sale over in the flea market, link below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784510
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #1952
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,398
Might help if you state how much those links lower the bike.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #1953
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Might help if you state how much those links lower the bike.
Kouba only makes one size for Sherpa, 1.5 in lower but i did put their link info in the FM ad for those who dont know.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #1954
matteblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Fender and Handguards

Hey inmates! Just bought a 2000 Super Sherpa for my fiancee to learn on (and me to play around on). It has the high KLR250 green fender and we're not in love with so much Kawi green. Also, we want to add handguards. Since we're trying to add a bit more silver to the mix, I just bought the items below. Probably should have checked here first, but I was hasty. Can anyone advise if either or both of these are going to fit OK without too much (or any?) monkey-ing around? Want to be able to return to stock if needed. I think the handguards should be fine, but am concerned about the fender, since I haven't been able to find too many posts from folks using much beyond the KLR250 high fender.

Thanks!

Handguards:
Barkbusters VPS Handguard (with universal full-wrap aluminum backbone and "standard" mounting kit), Silver
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3870/739/

Front fender:
Acerbis Supermoto / Supermotard Front Fender, Silver
http://www.xrsonly.com/acerbis-super...d-front-fender
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #1955
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,398
I had both of those items mounted on my 01 Sherpa, took off the Barkbusters because they are overkill, heavy in weight at bad places for the Sherpa.

Acerbis fender works well, allow plenty of airflow for the air-cooled engine, minimal mud/rock protection once heading off-road though.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #1956
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
Hey inmates! Just bought a 2000 Super Sherpa for my fiancee to learn on (and me to play around on). It has the high KLR250 green fender and we're not in love with so much Kawi green. Also, we want to add handguards. Since we're trying to add a bit more silver to the mix, I just bought the items below. Probably should have checked here first, but I was hasty. Can anyone advise if either or both of these are going to fit OK without too much (or any?) monkey-ing around? Want to be able to return to stock if needed. I think the handguards should be fine, but am concerned about the fender, since I haven't been able to find too many posts from folks using much beyond the KLR250 high fender.

Thanks!

Handguards:
Barkbusters VPS Handguard (with universal full-wrap aluminum backbone and "standard" mounting kit), Silver

Front fender:
Acerbis Supermoto / Supermotard Front Fender, Silver
http://www.xrsonly.com/acerbis-super...d-front-fender
I have an '03 Sherpa and have the Barkbuster Storm handguards installed, which I also bought from Twisted Throttle, by the way. Excellent product. They fit and function great. Unlike Cat0020, I have no problems with thier positioning in relation to the controls. The bars are thick aluminum and don't weigh much at all, in my opinion. I accidentally wheelied my bike and dumpted it on the pavement shortly after I installed them and the handguard saved my clutch handle and handlebar. The fall tweaked the aluminum bar but I hammered and bent it back into shape and mounted it back onto the bike. You'de be hard-pressed to tell it was ever in a crash. I feel they are well worth the cost. Certainly not overkill for a new rider who might drop the bike a couple of times, especially working on her dirt skills.

I thought the only difference between the Storm and VSP handguards was the plastic covers but perhaps VSP's use a different bar? The folks at Twisted could tell you for sure. You're going to have to cut off the ends of the grips and the throttle tube to install them however, so returning the handlebars to "stock" will require replacing those parts. Might want to consider just selling them with the bike.

My bike also had the big, floppy, olive green KLR 250 fender when I bought it. Like you, I wasn't thrilled by the faded green plastics, so I painted the headlight shroud and rear fender cover Krylon Fusion black and replaced the fender with a black UFO supermoto fender. It bolted right up without any modifications whatsoever.

Here's a link to a pic of my Sherpa. There's another shot of it if you scroll down a few posts:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post16229349

Congrats on your, er, I mean your fiancee's new bike.

Bravo21 screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 12:59 PM Reason: Corrections
Bravo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #1957
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Congrats on the SS, matteblack!

I have the VPS hand guards on my 2009 that I also got from TT. I actually like them quite a bit. They were a little finicky to mount as they all seem to be in my case, but I got ‘em on there okay. I had to move the brake lever/hydraulics clamp inward a little to make for a fit on the right bar side. The interference was right where the brake line connected to the fluid reservoir. Then I got shoulder interference in the mirror so I put some mirror extenders on (photo at post #1947).

I replaced the stock low fender with a Universal UFO shorty, sm-type front fender…just like bravo above. The sm fenders fit okay and are an easy install. I think they look good and don’t flail around at speed from wind buffeting as much as the bigger fenders when you’re on the street, but they let a lot of sling get back in your face as cat notes. Muddy trails, wet roads...it’s all back at ya. It’s a trade off. I’d rather have the shorty than a big fender flapping around at 65mph.

XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #1958
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Enjoying my new to me Sherpa. Traded my 2002 KLR650 to another inmate for it. I haven't missed the power of my 650 yet, but I never rode on the interstate much.

Seat Concepts seat on the way, getting it prepped for some longer road and camping trips this summer!!

The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #1959
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinoh View Post
Enjoying my new to me Sherpa. Traded my 2002 KLR650 to another inmate for it. I haven't missed the power of my 650 yet, but I never rode on the interstate much.

Seat Concepts seat on the way, getting it prepped for some longer road and camping trips this summer!!
Congrats! Post up on the seat when you get it and have tried it out. I'd be interested in something a little more permanent in the seat area...rather than pads I currently use.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #1960
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
Handguards:
On those VPS hand guards, I was looking at those today and remembered there's another way to fit those. If you wanted, you could cut a chunk out of the plastic guard so it doesn't interfere with the brake line. I recall thinking about that but moved the brake lever perch and reservoir instead. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably cut it.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #1961
matteblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks so much for the info on fenders and handguards guys. Very helpful. Will try to post pics when I have them installed.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #1962
bdesmp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Speedometer KPH to MPH

Does anyone know how to change the speedometer from KPM to MPH? I’ve read that other Kawasaki’s can do this by pressing and holding the Mode button and then press Reset.
Anyone know of a Reset button?
There is this possiblity
http://www.xtsportbikeaccessories.com/SpeedoHealer.html
Or add an external mini-speedometer.
Any suggestions on the conversion?

bdesmp screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 07:09 AM
bdesmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #1963
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesmp View Post
Does anyone know how to change the speedometer from KPM to MPH? I’ve read that other Kawasaki’s can do this by pressing and holding the Mode button and then press Reset.
Based on what the Service Manual says, the US display and the Canadian/Euro displays are different parts and don't change back and forth between miles and kilometers. Plus I messed around with it a little and it doesn't look like there's a hidden method. My other two bikes flip back and forth by holding down both buttons at the same time. I've seen used displays in eBay from time to time from someone parting out an SS. That may be a solution. Also, maybe a trusted dealer can track down a way to do that. The speedohealer can be set for either kilometers or miles, but I'm not sure what that means if the gauge is fixed at one or the other...and they're kind of expensive. I didn't see anything on this in the Yahoo! Group, but it may be worth a post over there too.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #1964
bdesmp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks!

Doesn't look do-able and other options are $$

I'll just use my portable GPS and monitor the speed (MPH) on that.

Now, I just have to wire it up and attach.
bdesmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #1965
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Well, I took a little trip to Columbus for a meetup with friends and some camping and the bike did great. Went to start it up to ride to work the other morning and it won't start.

Acted as though it wasn't creating a spark (cranked fine, I could hear compression in the pipe, smelled gas) . I tore into it yesterday and I think I have it narrowed down to the ignition coil. I pulled the spark plug and tested it, no spark, then I tested the wire with a screwdriver inserted and held it close to the valve cover, no spark. I went ahead and ordered a used coil on ebay, i'll swap it out and see if it fixes the issue. Worst case i'm out twenty bucks, but I wouldn't exactly be sure what to check next, any advice?

Weather is awful nice to be bikeless!!!!
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote