Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #2491
DeathWish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I was wondering if anybody has attached ammo cans to their super sherpa for use as saddle bags/storage containers?

My husband said he was going to do this as a joke. However I think it is really cool! I love the look and feel of the Super Sherpa and I want to keep the rugged appeal. I just think ammo cans would make it look more bad ass! The only thing is I am worried it would restrict me with room and weight on camping...

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanx!
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #2492
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Ammo cans looks cool, but they are heavy for the volume they hold, for the limited power output of the Sherpa, more weight to carry just slow you down or more weight to pick up when you drop the bike while off-roading.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2493
DeathWish
Adventurer

That is what I was thinking, just not ready to accept... Maybe i can fig a lightweight look a like to a camo can!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #2494
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
That is what I was thinking, just not ready to accept... Maybe i can fig a lightweight look a like to a camo can!

There a a few aluminum "ammo" cans , they were made for med supplies or equipment . They used to be fairly common to find but now they are a bit more difficult to find and bring a premium almost to the point of being about as high as using purpose built boxes . Im going to hang a can off one side and my rifle off the other for trips to the farm when ever I get time.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #2495
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Khaki plastic 20 litre jerry cans...
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #2496
DeathWish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Khaki plastic 20 litre jerry cans...
Will check those out!! Thanx!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #2497
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
I was wondering if anybody has attached ammo cans to their super sherpa for use as saddle bags/storage containers?

My husband said he was going to do this as a joke. However I think it is really cool! I love the look and feel of the Super Sherpa and I want to keep the rugged appeal. I just think ammo cans would make it look more bad ass! The only thing is I am worried it would restrict me with room and weight on camping...

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanx!
Hard, metal luggage can injure you in a tip-over.

jon_l screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 12:08 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #2498
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Hard, metal luggage can injure you in a tip-over.
in addition to the subframe of your bike.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #2499
Many Thunders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
experienced as in older
"Experienced", indeed. I am ONLY 48. Last weekend, our offroaders included several people much older than myself, up to 68 years old. At the fish fry, there were adventure bikes with riders around 78 years old. Thus I throw out the old saying...

When I die, I do intend to quietly pull up the the graveside, but rather I will come charging in, throttle full open, probably on fire, bleeding, bugs in my teeth and shouting "Whoo-hoo, what a ride!"
Many Thunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #2500
Many Thunders
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
in addition to the subframe of your bike.
I am about to mount a rack onto my son's Super Sherpa. I picked one up from CycleRacks.com off of ebay (new). I have spoke with a couple other folks with the same rack who have given it very high marks. I will post a photo when finished.

As for luggage, ammo cans, etc., I prefer a soft luggage, but for the following reasons. More quiet with no hard edges to rattle. A less ridged material is less likely to snap from g-forces. Collapsible/expandible. Less expensive. Lighter.

I am less worried about being injured by my own equipment. Hard equipment is good if you have crushible cargo (eggs?). Also hard cases are more often waterproof, and I mean REALLY water proof. Hard cases are easier to clean (if you are into clean, we are talking about folks playing in the dirt aren't we?).

Just my $.02.

Many Thunders.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #2501
Many Thunders
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Thunders View Post
I am about to mount a rack onto my son's Super Sherpa. I picked one up from CycleRacks.com off of ebay (new). I have spoke with a couple other folks with the same rack who have given it very high marks. I will post a photo when finished.

As for luggage, ammo cans, etc., I prefer a soft luggage, but for the following reasons. More quiet with no hard edges to rattle. A less ridged material is less likely to snap from g-forces. Collapsible/expandible. Less expensive. Lighter.

I am less worried about being injured by my own equipment. Hard equipment is good if you have crushible cargo (eggs?). Also hard cases are more often waterproof, and I mean REALLY water proof. Hard cases are easier to clean (if you are into clean, we are talking about folks playing in the dirt aren't we?).

Just my $.02.

Many Thunders.
Oh, I forgot the BIG ONE.
Security. Hard cases are usually lockable. You probably do not have to worry much around other bikers (at least in our group, we are highly respectable). But out in public, it is nice to have lockable storage.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #2502
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
If you want waterproof soft bags, Wolfman's Expedition Dry will fit the bill. I did 2 business trips last summer with 2 notebook pc's, a portable weather station, tablet and phone. I spent multiple hours in very hard rain on both trips, and none of the bags, 2 saddle and a duffle got so much as a drop of water in them. Very easy to clean, and can be used to haul water, as a cooler lol, or whatever.

fwiw
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2503
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Thunders View Post
As for luggage, ammo cans, etc., I prefer a soft luggage, ... snip
Many Thunders.

+1 on all of the above. I only use soft bags, only exception is the hard cases that came on my other bike, the ST.

And when you're looking for bags, especially panniers, don't forget to look into bicycle luggage. Ortlieb only makes two or three MC specific sets but has more than a dozen bicycle pannier choices, all waterproof , rugged and light. And they use essentially the same quick release clamp system as the MC bags. My side racks ride very low and forward so I was able to get the biggest size they have - I sometimes carry a lot of gear - but they shrink well.

[IMG][/IMG]

And when you're looking for a specialty item, something to fill in a random space, you can find lots of shapes and sizes that no one would ever make for the motorcycle market. Like this kidney-shaped pair I got at Nashbar for $40 when I ran out of room on the tourer:

[IMG][/IMG]

Soft bags take bumps a lot better than hard ones.It seems obvious that they'd be a lot easier on your frame.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #2504
DeathWish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
+1 on all of the above. I only use soft bags, only exception is the hard cases that came on my other bike, the ST.

And when you're looking for bags, especially panniers, don't forget to look into bicycle luggage. Ortlieb only makes two or three MC specific sets but has more than a dozen bicycle pannier choices, all waterproof , rugged and light. And they use essentially the same quick release clamp system as the MC bags. My side racks ride very low and forward so I was able to get the biggest size they have - I sometimes carry a lot of gear - but they shrink well.

[IMG][/IMG]

And when you're looking for a specialty item, something to fill in a random space, you can find lots of shapes and sizes that no one would ever make for the motorcycle market. Like this kidney-shaped pair I got at Nashbar for $40 when I ran out of room on the tourer:

[IMG][/IMG]

Soft bags take bumps a lot better than hard ones.It seems obvious that they'd be a lot easier on your frame.
Thanx! You are awesome... I will definitely be looking into bicycle luggage.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #2505
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 279
Making a super sherpa more two up comfortable.... El-cheapo

First, in response to the post about ammo cans... I use a small ammo can on the back rack to carry gloves, spark plug, cargo net etc... I bolted it to the rack by using ubolts from Lowes. You can see it in pic's below...

Ok now, what I want to post---> Riding two up on a sherpa is painful, unless you and your passenger are 100lbs each and 5'2. Anyway, I couldn't careless about going really fast but I would like it if my wife came alone on the Sherpa every once in a while. I'm 6'0 200lbs, she's 5'3 and maybe 110lbs. And the seat length on the sherpa is only like 25" max. And the first 3" are un-usable. Anyway, I can up with a cheap simple solution. Its not quite ready for long term riding, but it will allow us not to be so cramped up on short rides. The plan from here is to use the green space and pad it with some car seat padding and up around edges of luggage rack and the put the sheep fur seat on top of all that... This set up will give you an extra 5" of room of so for around 30" seat length total.
1. I took off the luggage rack.
2. I marked and then drilled a hole on each side of the luggage base attached to the frame for future ubolts. I lined up the front luggage rack bolt holes to the back bolt holes on the base. But if you put weight on it, it would push down on the rear taillight. so...
3. I took u-bolts and bolted through the plate and over top the luggage rack to prevent this.
take a look....

Oh, and you can see how I keep my soft bags from getting torched....
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote