Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #3196
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
ignition and carb problems can mimic each other, if the bike is over 10 years old,replace the plug cap and lead.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3197
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
If you were looking right at the screw, clockwise brings it in and leans out the mixture. Standing beside the bike on the left side, using a right angle ratcheting screwdriver, pushing towards the rear tire tighten/leans it out. That upside down thing always forces me to think about it.
Well I put the 130 main back in, & turned it in about a 1/4 turn or so. going to take it out & see how it does. Report Later.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #3198
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
ignition and carb problems can mimic each other, if the bike is over 10 years old,replace the plug cap and lead.
Is there supposed to be a cap on the spark plug or not ? I'm talking about the thing that screws on to the threaded stud. It doesn't show one in the service manual & there doesn't appear to be room for it either in the sparkplug boot.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #3199
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Is there supposed to be a cap on the spark plug or not ? I'm talking about the thing that screws on to the threaded stud. It doesn't show one in the service manual & there doesn't appear to be room for it either in the sparkplug boot.
The cap is the L-shaped boot that fits onto the spark plug. There isn't room for the little metal fitting that comes on some spark plugs.
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #3200
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
The cap is the L-shaped boot that fits onto the spark plug. There isn't room for the little metal fitting that comes on some spark plugs.
I couldn't remember if the original spark plug had one on it & I forgot to put it on the new one but I don't think there is supposed to be one on it.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #3201
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

After the test ride the power is back, & the stumbling is still there too.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #3202
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 818
I rode up town to a car show tonight, and my surging, stumbling, stuttering, what ever you want to call it is pretty minor, and I just tried different speeds to find the worst spot.

when I got home a got a can of carb cleaner and sprayed around on the boots, vacuum cap, and throttle shaft, I could get it to kill the bike, I have a .35 jet coming, when it gets here I will also do a carb disassembly and clean while installing it.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #3203
GMOH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
that was deeper than i thought...

GMOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #3204
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_me_outta_here View Post
Snip

It happens
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #3205
roadisattva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
NOOB with new old Sherpa, seeking oil plug help

HI Inmates,
I have been a lurker for quite a while and recently became inspired by J.Downs ride reports and boom the universe revealed a SS I could afford on CL.
2000 with a nice hard case for the behind the seat rack, hand grip guards, jets upgrade, runs nice but starter clutch is getting sketchy, got it going with a battery charge and some fresh gas and some oil. Runs good and I thought the PO was being real honest telling me about it needing a side gasket to stop an oil leak. Even got a service manual with it. Everything works and I may need to do some starter parts I am thinking almost to good to be true for $700. Get it home and do some more inspecting and discover there is a wad of chewing gum like substance, probably JB weld, where there should be an oil plug. I am pulled back into thinking mode and humbly seek some wisdom here. The boss for the plug is half broken away. I think someone tried to drill/tap for a bigger plug and the boss broke. This bike runs like there are some adventure trips left in it and obviously the first adventure is a mend for this. I am thinking weld in a slug of aluminum and have a new 12mm hole drilled/tapped to be a like new repair. Parts bike? New chewing gum in the hole and drill/tap a plug in another location? new case half?
I am looking forward to hearing what anyone familiar with a Sherpa has to say about this. I hope to be writing my own ride reports about this machine sometime soon. I still have some learning to do about posting pics
roadisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #3206
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Really gonna need some pics. If the drain plug is ganked, four options come to mind:

1. Piggyback drain plug. Oversized plug that goes in existing slot, but has another smaller drain inside. These generally hang down kind of far, and may interfere with the bash plate.

2. Replace that case half. Horrid choice, but is an option.

3. Repair with welds. Slightly less horrid choice, but keep in mind that surfaces to be welded must be clean. This would include the inside of that case.

4. If it ain't leaking now, consider an alternative method of draining the oil. Such as tipping the bike on its side and using the oil filter housing.

As the evening gets layer and inebriation sets in, more ideas will flow.

Best,
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3207
roadisattva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks, newcastleadam

I will work on posting pics
the plug boss projects down about 3/4 of an inch and an entire third to half of the boss is gone on one side and a large drill bit took out all threads
The JB weld or whatever it was was not leaking but I could not accept that it is a permanent repair so I chipped it out to see what was there. I was really hoping that I could drill and tap a solution.
If I take off the side cover the boss and drain hole is exposed I believe; so I can get it clean and even grind out a tapered receiving notch for an aluminum tube or slug to be welded in; I can see this being done with out splitting the case. Probably will require removing the engine; but I feel qualified to do that and find a machinist/ welder who might tackle the fix. It would give me a chance to go through everything I would have postponed doing had this not come up. I want to end up with a SS or two that I can trust for some long distance minimalist touring.
Thanks for considering some options for me. My mind is now engaged in adventure planning mode just dealing with this issue and the journey is starting with the bike lying on its side waiting for my attention
roadisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #3208
Many Thunders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Pilot jet extended screw plus

Howdy, fellow Sherpa-Derpas.

A couple questions regarding the pilot jet modification...

Has anyone found a good source for an extended screw to replace the short factory one that requires a small-handed dwarf gynecologist (no offense to them) to adjust?

Also, turning the screw in make is more lean or more fat?

ManyThunders
Many Thunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #3209
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Thunders View Post
Howdy, fellow Sherpa-Derpas.

A couple questions regarding the pilot jet modification...

Has anyone found a good source for an extended screw to replace the short factory one that requires a small-handed dwarf gynecologist (no offense to them) to adjust?

Also, turning the screw in make is more lean or more fat?

ManyThunders
I haven't looked for an extended screw; I've had best luck with the stock screw doing the on-the-bike-while-running adjustment using a small right angle ratcheting screwdriver (looks like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...le+screwdriver, though the latest one I bought at harbor freight had an extension on the back that had to be cut off). I like the idea of the extended screw, or just replacing with an allen-head...

Turn the screw in to make it more lean.
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #3210
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I will be trying to "finalize" my jetting tomorrow.

My plan is to simply put a 127.5 Main Jet in, to see if it makes a positive difference for the top end. I will not be going down below a 125 on the Main Jet for now.

If that improves the top end at all, I will post/let folks know.

After I decide between the 127.5 and the 125 Main Jet, I will be trying a 35 Pilot Jet, to see if I can retain the "snap" and responsiveness I currently have with the 40 Pilot and perhaps this will allow for a mixture screw setting of about 1 1/2 out from seated. We will see.

I am excited that the jetting is verrrry close and working well. I will also be relieved however, to settle at a solid final result, and just enjoy the bike!

More to come,

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote