User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #346
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,723
Hey Mel

Is that the Sherpa I sold you? How many miles on it now? Have you have any problems with it? Lots of times I regretted selling it but it found a good home. Andy
Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #347
gotdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Clint check this link also!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=dusty+butt

This was a previous 1000 mile event she entered (different type of event than the MN1000), but everyone DNFed cause of floods.
gotdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #348
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3006
i finally got to sit on a sherpa saturday, a 2009. i sure liked the looks, and the fit, but when i sat, the rear suspension seemed close to bottoming out. i'm 6-1 with average inseam and LOOONG body and arms. i weigh 196 without gear, 10-15 more with gear. any of you sherpa fans my size or bigger? as much as i like it, i seem to overpower it ...
While the suspension seems to be set up for a 150# rider, i'm 225 and have never bottomed out my wifes 02 Sherp. Of course, i'm not doing any big jumps or flying thru serious ruts with it. Stiffen up the preload a bit and you'll probably be ok. Just don't expect it to perform like a mx bike.
SilentRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #349
Nitro_Fluffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=14&id=371

still showing on Kawasaki's web site. I saw one in a dealer's about a month ago.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #350
One Tooth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Back in the saddle

I am back on the go after taking out the deer.
The bike just needed a blinker and a head light. Of course it has a few scratches now.... or war wounds. ha ha

My question is the handle bars are not bent but she runs a little crooked, less then 1/4 inch off kilter ... hope you know what I mean.

Now when we would crash and burn when I was a kid on the dirt bikes and this would happen, we would grab the handle bar and put a foot against the tire and yank.

I am wondering if there is a more professional way to do this?

Thanks guys
one tooth
One Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #351
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I'm 6'1" and 190 pounds and don't have any problems. You may need to crank up the preload on the rear spring to raise the bike a bit. I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my Sherpa did this on mine. Never bottomed mine out. If you buy new, you should be able to get the dealer to do this for you for free.

I also don't think my weight 'overpowers' the bike. I even put on a 15-tooth front sprocket to gear it down a bit for street use and it's not a problem. It ain't no sportbike, but it gets me around just fine.

Quote:
i finally got to sit on a sherpa saturday, a 2009. i sure liked the looks, and the fit, but when i sat, the rear suspension seemed close to bottoming out. i'm 6-1 with average inseam and LOOONG body and arms. i weigh 196 without gear, 10-15 more with gear. any of you sherpa fans my size or bigger? as much as i like it, i seem to overpower it ...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #352
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tooth
My question is the handle bars are not bent but she runs a little crooked, less then 1/4 inch off kilter ... hope you know what I mean.

Now when we would crash and burn when I was a kid on the dirt bikes and this would happen, we would grab the handle bar and put a foot against the tire and yank.

First step, put the bike up on a stand so the front wheel is off the ground. I use an old 5-gallon paint bucket turned upside down and just lift it up there.

Then take off the front wheel.

Loosen up the pinch bolts on the upper triple clamps, and the large center nut on the steering stem. If the forks are at different heights in the triples, loosen the pinch bolts on the lower triple clamps, and reset the heights. Then tighten up the upper triple clamp pinch bolts evenly.

Reinstall the front wheel, being careful not to damage the speedo sender or magnet ring. Torque the axle bolt, and then the steering stem nut.

This should get things back into line for you. If it doesn't check all the parts involved for straightness.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #353
fish3006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
good to hear from you goodly size riders. it is by far my favorite among the 250-cc thumpers. and no way i'm going to jump anything but maybe a curb or two. now if only early fall would get here ...
fish3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #354
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
Then take off the front wheel.

You should be able to do this procedure without removing the front wheel. Just loosen everything and grab the tire between your knees and straighten the handlebars. Afterwards torque everything to specification. Not removing the wheel is easier for me and there is less chance of damaging the speedometer hub.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #355
One Tooth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thumb Thanks

Thanks guys
I will see what I can do tonight when I get home...
I might add a beer to those instructions....Ha Ha

One Tooth
One Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #356
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:

Just crank up the preload on the rear shock and put Progressive springs in the fork. No sweat. Normal upgrade for many bikes.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #357
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tooth

Thanks guys
one tooth

Yeah. Bang it on a tree or utility pole.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #358
blktopburner
FAR POINT EXPLORER

Oddometer: 158
x

Progressives.....
http://www.onestopmoto.com/SearchRes...17&Search.y=10

JC-"the "Blktopburner"

Album:http://photobucket.com/JCs_super_sherpa

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'09 Kawa Super Sherpa
'06 Ducati 620 Multistrada
'81 BMW R100 Vintage Enduro Project

blktopburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #359
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
I'm a somewhat larger fellow (6'-0", 260), and the Sherpa's suspension is fine stock for me, except I switch out the shocks' fluids a few years ago with a thicker one for off-road bikes (been too long to remember). Unfortunately with my having ballooned , 60 is about max cruise speed for me, with top speed being about 70.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #360
fish3006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
i've dropped more than 30 (i HATE lyrica and prednisone), and am looking to drop another 20. hard to do, at my age, and with my pins and shoulder ...
fish3006 is offline   Reply With Quote