Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #46
alkie
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie!
That looks pretty cool. How bright are they compared to the standard headlight?
I haven't had it on the road yet (f orgot to mention a broken arm in the fall), but it lights up my driveway really well! The optics and brightness seem much better than the stock headlight.

The current setup is right (low bean) and left (high beam). There is a lot of discussion over at Thumpertalk about the virtues of installing a relay to have both lights illuminated when the high beam is selected. I don't think this is really necessary, but with two 55W H7 bulbs ablaze, it would really light up the road/trail.

My arm is feeling much better, so I will probably be able to fabricate a proper mount and get out on the road this weekend. I'll send an update and let you know my impressions.
alkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #47
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Nice Bike

Did you paint the plastics black?
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #48
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
How good is the sherpa for serious offroad riding? I'm not expecting speed, but can it cross difficult terrain? How about steep hills? If it can pull over 30 on rough dirt, that's all the speed that's needed. Only seven inches in the rear seems low, does it bottem out when it hits big rocks/ whoops? Just curious about the bike, thanks for replies

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #49
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
How good is the sherpa for serious offroad riding? I'm not expecting speed, but can it cross difficult terrain? How about steep hills? If it can pull over 30 on rough dirt, that's all the speed that's needed. Only seven inches in the rear seems low, does it bottem out when it hits big rocks/ whoops? Just curious about the bike, thanks for replies
I did a Rich Lafferty enduro riding school on mine earlier in the spring. I certainly wasn't the fastest bike or rider there, but it handled the terrain.

I don't think I've ever bottomed out the rear suspension, and after I changed the fork oil on mine, the front stopped bottoming out. I'm sure if I caught enough air I could change that, but I'm not that good yet.

The bottom of the bike is a little bit lower than a real dirt bike would be, and I've gotten it hung up on obstructions before. Not a huge deal, and it's fairly easy to lift the bike up and move it. I'm planning on upgrading the skid plate on mine later in the summer, though I'll have to modify a KLR skidplate to do it.

If you're going to do any serious offroad riding, ditch the stock handlebars and put on something stronger, as well as a set of brush guards. Add to that a high fender in the front and some decent tires, and it should go anywhere you need to go. Maybe not the most quickly, but it'll get there.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #50
alkie
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil
Did you paint the plastics black?
Nope, that's how it came. It's a 2007. I bought up here in Canada this past spring. It looked pretty sharp right out of the showroom.
alkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #51
AnthonyD
Nothing to see here...

Oddometer: 411
Any Super Sherpa owner who has switched to high fender from the stock low fender: Can you tell me the width of the stock fender?

Anyone have a stock low fender lying around they'd be willing to part with? Shoot me a PM, I'd be interested in one.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #52
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Just to rev this thread up ... Howdy from another Sherpa owner!

I bought mine over the weekend and I'm loving it! I need a new rear tire for mine so I'd love to hear some recommendations for an 80/20 street/dirt tire. My "off-road" riding will be occasional on gravel levee roads or fire roads, so it doesn't need to be aggressive and I'll want good pavement grip most of the time for city and rural road work.

Also, my bike came with a high-mount fender and I want to switch to the OEM low-mount fender, just to try it out. So let me know if anybody's got one to sell. I also need an OEM toolkit and owner's manual.

Cheers!
Twinsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
I also need an OEM toolkit
No you don't. The OEM toolkit is made from cheese & isn't very user friendly. Get something better that will fit in the tool holder.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #54
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
No you don't. The OEM toolkit is made from cheese & isn't very user friendly. Get something better that will fit in the tool holder.

Cheers
Clint

Suggestions? I just stuck an old Leatherman in there for now.
Twinsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #55
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
Suggestions? I just stuck an old Leatherman in there for now.
Here is the Kawasaki parts diagram, click on list item 43, "Owners Tools" and you can see what's in the kit:

http://tinyurl.com/6dj84s
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #56
clintnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21b
Here is the Kawasaki parts diagram, click on list item 43, "Owners Tools" and you can see what's in the kit:

http://tinyurl.com/6dj84s
Link no workee!

But a good start for a tool kit is a T-handle thing, like the Motion Pro one: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/..._t_handle_set/
Add a spark plug socket, a 1/4"-bit adapter & a few hex & screwdriver bits, a set of 5WR vise grips, a cut down ring spanner for the axles, 8,10,12mm ring/OE spanners & you're good to go. Then whenever you work on the bike just use what you have in the tool kit & add as required.

Cheers
Clint

Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #57
Fantastipotamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My fiancee has an '02 Sherpa we just picked up for her, and she loves it!

The one we've got, when it's warm (especially at low speed) revs the crap right out of itself when you stop.. No tach, but it idles high enough that she doesn't have to use the clutch (in first gear, at least).

Does this sound like a carb issue? Is the idle hand screw mucked up? Also, are there any online guides to carb stuff?

Pic is of her two bikes, Ninja and Sherpa! Combined CC's are less than half my KLR!
Attached Images

Fantastipotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #58
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Link no workee!

Cheers
Clint
Hmmm... Linky workee for me!
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #59
clintnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastipotamus
The one we've got, when it's warm (especially at low speed) revs the crap right out of itself when you stop.. No tach, but it idles high enough that she doesn't have to use the clutch (in first gear, at least).

Does this sound like a carb issue? Is the idle hand screw mucked up? Also, are there any online guides to carb stuff?
Rosie's Sherpa was jetted pretty lean from stock & wouldn't run well when cold - maybe the idle has been adjusted up to try & compensate?? Have a play with the idle adjuster anyway.

Quote:
Pic is of her two bikes, Ninja and Sherpa! Combined CC's are less than half my KLR!
you have a 1000cc KLR?

Cheers
Clint

PS. Mike21b, that site wants a login & password - you are obviously logged on automatic like.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #60
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:

Join the 1999-2003_SUPERSHERPA Yahoo group (groups.yahoo.com), and look for DrJeckle's jetting information in the group's files. Basically you want to go up a size on the pilot and main jet (130 main, 20 pilot), and the good Doctor has put together a document detailing the whole procedure for you. This may have already been done on your bike if you bought it used, it's worth a check.

I'd also look for a vacuum leak, especially in the vacuum hose going from the fitting on the head near the carb boot to the fuel petcock. Mine came w/ a small leak there that wreaked havoc on the idle until I replaced the hose.

Other than that, the bike looks good! Mine isn't nearly as pretty!
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote