Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #781
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solrider
Does anyone know where I can find a .pdf copy of the factory repair manual?
Quite a lot of it is in the files section of the yahoo sherpa group.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #782
mele63
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Is it hard to find replacement o.e.m. sherpa tanks?

I'm looking at an '09 SS for my son. I'm drawn to the bike by the low seat height and the old school stove bolt technology. My son likes to ride trails but as no interest in wrenching on a bike (he's a good kid, not lazy, but it's not in his blood). Here's a pic of my plated KLX450R and the boy; he's riding a '95 KX100 now.

What I don't like is the metal tank. Especially dents in a pristine shiny '09 metal tank. Cut to the chase, would it be hard to find an old tank to put on the bike, so I can wrap the new one in a blanket for safe keeping?

I wouldn't want or need an IMS tank for this bike.
mele63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #783
Solrider
Smiling Politely

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
Quite a lot of it is in the files section of the yahoo sherpa group.
Right, but not the entire manual and its not all .pdf some is .jpg. I want a copy I can keep on my netbook/phone for when I travel so I'm not lugging the entire manual around with me. And something that doesn't require internet access.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #784
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIdirtrider
I own a KLR 250 (2004) which was the last year they ran the line of KLR 250's. I was just wondering if any of you knew the differances (if any) between the KLR 250 and the Super Sherpa

Thank You!!!
There are some significant differences between the two.

The Sherpa has a digital dash, aluminum swing arm, rear disc brake, full stainless steel exhaust and a 6 speed gearbox.

All much nicer to have than what the KLR250 comes with.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #785
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solrider
Right, but not the entire manual and its not all .pdf some is .jpg. I want a copy I can keep on my netbook/phone for when I travel so I'm not lugging the entire manual around with me. And something that doesn't require internet access.
If people were willing to chip-in to buy a manual, I might know someone who could cut off the binding and run it thru a photocopier that scans the entire book to .pdf in about 62 seconds...
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #786
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
If people were willing to chip-in to buy a manual, I might know someone who could cut off the binding and run it thru a photocopier that scans the entire book to .pdf in about 62 seconds...
Izzat legal?

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #787
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
There are some significant differences between the two.

The Sherpa has a digital dash, aluminum swing arm, rear disc brake, full stainless steel exhaust and a 6 speed gearbox.

All much nicer to have than what the KLR250 comes with.

DO NOT forget the electric start - one of the biggest advantages of the Sherpa over the KLR250 . . . . and the only reason we sold my wife's KLR and got her Sherpa.

PS - they both have a 6 speed gearbox.

The Sherpa is the better bike off road, no question about it. The KLR250 is the better bike on road, again without question, in my experience.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #788
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mele63
What I don't like is the metal tank. Especially dents in a pristine shiny '09 metal tank. Cut to the chase, would it be hard to find an old tank to put on the bike, so I can wrap the new one in a blanket for safe keeping?

It's the same tank every year model except for the graphics.

Good luck finding one, I looked for a long time to replace the dented one on my bike. I wanted more range anyway so I now have an IMS.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #789
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,236
Mel just likes the IMS tank because it bounces better!
Dented the old one? Err...the original tank was caved in and the bike was upside down.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #790
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel brooks
Good luck finding one, I looked for a long time to replace the dented one on my bike. I wanted more range anyway so I now have an IMS.
I considered the dents on my Sherpa's tank to be marks of experience. I could tell you how each and every one happened, too!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #791
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
DO NOT forget the electric start - one of the biggest advantages of the Sherpa over the KLR250 . . . . and the only reason we sold my wife's KLR and got her Sherpa.

PS - they both have a 6 speed gearbox.

The Sherpa is the better bike off road, no question about it. The KLR250.
is the better bike on road, again without question, in my experience.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize the KLR was kick start only.
That is probably the biggest difference and like you mention, reason to get a Sherpa.

I've never ridden a KLR 250 so can't comment.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #792
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mele63

There was a brand new unused Sherpa tank in the old US olive green colour scheme on eBay in Queensland for ages looking for Au$200.
I've got a 2001 Aussie delivery Sherpa in the same colour scheme which I picked up with 6000km and a minor mark in the paint on top of the tank last year. The dealer had used an ocky strap to secure a tank bag when he too it out for a ride and it had rubbed through the paint!

Anyway I offered the seller less for the new tank, they refused, and I started looking seriously at a bigger tank instead. I ended up with a second hand faded white IMS XR650L tank for US$50 on eBay and another $50 postage to Australia.
It doesn't show bumps and scratches, and I keep getting people asking what the bike is because they no longer recognise it.

The only permanent change to the bike to fit the IMS tank is poking holes in the rubber "doorstops" that the front of the tank rests on, so you can always remove it and sell it separately later. If you're prepared to wait and watch eBay there's no need to pay US$240ish for a new one.

Graham in Melbourne
I have spare sets of brackets etc for the IMS tank to Sherpa.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #793
mele63
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez

Graham in Melbourne
I have spare sets of brackets etc for the IMS tank to Sherpa.
Thanks Graham. I saw your thorough walkthrough on the IMS mod. I have nothing against IMS tanks, I just put one on my KLX450R, but can't see myself needing one on a Sherpa (which I don't own yet but it's on my list of potentials). I thought picking up a used pre-dented tank would be the best option for a guy like me with a slight case of OCD:) What can I say some guys like battle scars and some don't, to each his/her own. We don't abuse our bikes but we do enough off-roading to know there will be some falls, and probably on rocky ground.

I bought my first Kawasaki in 1976 (KE125) and I am embarrassed to admit I didn't even know about the SS until recently. It's a very interesting market in the US for these bikes right now. Some guys are trying to sell ten year-old bikes with a ton of miles for big money ($2500ish). I wonder if they even know Kawasaki put them back on the market in '09. There are new 09's on eBay for under $3500! Putting aside the recession in the U.S. right now, I think it remains to been as to whether the '09 U.S. model will be a one-time deal.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the loyal following these bikes have all over the world. Incidentally there is a preponderance of guys from Australia who belong to the KLX450R forum on ThumperTalk (hissss). Must be some connection between the Aussies and Kawasaki.?
mele63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #794
Potosi Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
What is top speed for the Sherpa? Is 12,000 miles a lot for a Sherpa? Thanks Joe
Potosi Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #795
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
My wife has hit a GPS indicated 73mph on our Sherpa with the stock gearing, but it's more comfortable in the 60-65mph range and will cruise there all day long.

We've got just over 24k miles on ours and it still runs like a top. We haven't done anything other than regular oil/filter changes and we're on our second chain.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote