Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #796
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe
What is top speed for the Sherpa? Is 12,000 miles a lot for a Sherpa? Thanks Joe
First of all, the speedo reads about 7.5% fast. I've had mine reading 115kph, 72mph, on the road shown in this post here. My GPS confirmed I had only reached 108kph, 67.5mph. The bike felt good at this speed on this surface and might have had another 5kph to go but common sense set in and I backed off.

I've seen 129kph, 81mph, indicated (about 120kph, 75mph actual) on a gentle downhill on an urban multi lane freeway. It felt flighty and unstable, though cold and dark conditions weren't helping me. Even if it had the power, you wouldn't choose to ride it this fast.

People on the Sherpa forum seem to claim 75mph to 80mph indicated top speed but realistically the bike is not terribly happy much beyond 100kph, 62mph actual speed. Any sort of a head wind or uphill slope makes it work hard for 100kph.

I regularly ride on 80kph speed limit major roads and 90kph seems to be a comfortable cruising speed. 100kph is just a bit too frenetic for prolonged riding. Other people will disagree...

As for mileage; 12,000 miles (20,000km) probably isn't very much for a properly service Sherpa from a mechanical point of view, but from a market point of view there are plenty around with far less.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #797
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 578
Had a post written then the browser closed

Re: speed, I saw 140 on mine last weekend.

Been fiddling in the garage; had a bash plate lying around and I dummied it up.

Good fit, can use front single bolt to mount (just have to drill a hole in it). I would also drill a hole for the sump plug so it doesn't have to be removed for an oil swap.

Just need to work out a 'generic' way to mount the rear. I have no fab/welding skills nor the equipment.

Anyone think of a way to mount it?

All RRs
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #798
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob
speed, I saw 140 on mine last weekend.
Coming down out of the Adelaide hills??
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #799
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Just need to work out a 'generic' way to mount the rear. I have no fab/welding skills nor the equipment.

Anyone think of a way to mount it?
Conduit clips:

Available at your local hardware store.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #800
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 578
Graham,

Heading South on the highway towards McLaren Vale. Was a slight downhill.

Tomatoe, good thinking. It came with a few of those but the standard hole placements need to be changed. Also, that standard 'slot' where the stock bashblate goes into is right in the way, otherwise I could use the tubular frame. When I get some time I'll look into it.

Keep you posted.

Next, see if bigger pegs fit, windshield, barkbusters/handguards and bar risers.....

All RRs
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #801
feline
Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer: 383
I'll be joining the ranks of Super Sherpa owners this week! I got a DANDY of a deal on a 2009 on e-bay- has just over 2000 miles and an extended warranty, and is bone-stock. Forgive me for being too lazy to weed through over 800 posts in this thread, but I'd like to get a high front fender for it. What one will fit this bike?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #802
Super Sherpa
'n00b, yup I'm keeping it

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by feline
I'll be joining the ranks of Super Sherpa owners this week! I got a DANDY of a deal on a 2009 on e-bay- has just over 2000 miles and an extended warranty, and is bone-stock. Forgive me for being too lazy to weed through over 800 posts in this thread, but I'd like to get a high front fender for it. What one will fit this bike?
I do believe that something from a KLR250 or a KLX250 would fit. When I got my Super Sherpa, the previous owner had a higher mount fender still in packaging, not installed. I put it on there and works like a charm. I would guess mine is from a KLR.

"You can never have too much fuel, unless you're on fire."
2000 Super Sherpa
2007 DR 650SE
Super Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #803
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
Also: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84957
Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #804
feline
Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer: 383
Thank you!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #805
tate
Self-Sufficient 2-Wheeler

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Couple of questions:

1. Can I put on 30mm bar raisers without changing the cables?

2. Where can I get bigger pegs which fit?

Thanks, Rob.
*2* I was looking for some wider/longer pegs as well. I found a post over at the yahoo group stating that the IMS Super Stock foot pegs for a Kawasaki KX 125/250 (97-01) KTM 2-Stroke (98-01) would fit. Well, I found the pegs but they want $75 for them. I'm cheap, so I just ordered some pegs for the same year Kawasaki that d2moto.com sells for 16 bucks. I had their pegs on my XT350 and they were great. I've yet to receive them for the Sherpa, but I'll report back if they fit.

Here's the link: http://www.d2moto.com/Kawasaki-KX-12...gs-p/fp009.htm
tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #806
Drifter 99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sherpa hand guards?

Anyone know if the klr 250/650s hand guards will work on a SS if not any ideas to what will.
Drifter 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #807
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,396
Thumb Tusk ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter 99
Anyone know if the klr 250/650s hand guards will work on a SS if not any ideas to what will.
While you are at it you might as well put on some Handguards that offer some protection ...

Check out the following post earlier in this thread ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=485

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=487

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=688
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #808
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
I had a Sherpa in college, and I loved it. To this day, it is one of my favorite bikes of all time. I put 40k hard miles on it in 4 years, and that included serious off road riding, and riding 500 mile round trip from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO at ~70 mph. It never broke down once, and all I ever did to it was change the oil and filter and replace parts on it when I broke them after a crash. Here are some pictures:

And I gave it to my cousin after college, and he's still riding it to this day:

Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #809
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
First of all, the speedo reads about 7.5% fast. I've had mine reading 115kph, 72mph, on the road shown in this post here. My GPS confirmed I had only reached 108kph, 67.5mph. The bike felt good at this speed on this surface and might have had another 5kph to go but common sense set in and I backed off.
It appears that Maybe Kawasaki is trying to remedy this - My 2009 is only 4 km/hr off at 100km/h. So for me 104 km/h is actually 100km/h. Below 70km/h it's bang on. I told my dealer this and he said that they are getting better. this was verified with 2 gps fwiw

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #810
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfevrr
It appears that Maybe Kawasaki is trying to remedy this - My 2009 is only 4 km/hr off at 100km/h. So for me 104 km/h is actually 100km/h. Below 70km/h it's bang on. I told my dealer this and he said that they are getting better. this was verified with 2 gps fwiw
Interesting.

In most countries, 0% slow to 10% fast is acceptable under vehicle construction standards. Obviously everyone is going to build their vehicles reading slightly fast under such circumstances.

Naturally the issues Ralph Nader discussed way back in the 1960s still apply too; a car or bike that reads faster and further obviously appears to go faster and further on a tank of fuel....

In Australia our speedos are allowed +/-10%.

In Victoria we have speed cameras which will fire at 3kph over the speed limit, so people get quite excited about the possibility of a speedo which reads 10% slow.

In reality, the police discount the cameras' recorded actual speeds by 3% or 3kph, whichever is greater, to get an alleged speed.

They then allow you up to 3kph in excess of the speed limit.

So to get booked in an ordinary suburban 60kph zone you need to be doing a true 67kph, which in turn reads as 72kph on my Sherpa.

Similarly in a rural 100kph zone, a true 107kph means indicated 113kph on my Sherpa won't get me booked.

Some people jump up and down about speed cameras, but they always seem to me to be precisely the same people least likely to get ignored by a cop, the ones driving red sports cars or loud sports bikes.

At least with cameras you know exactly what you can get away with and you have only yourself to blame if you volunteer to pay the optional extra road tax. And believe me, they really do reduce excessive speeding dramatically; you just don't see people doing 15 to 25kph (10 to 15mph) over posted limits any more here.