Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #841
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Any one use No-toil oil on the SS air cleaner??

Worked just fine. Easy to clean, too. Not that I had to clean it very often. The Sherpa seems to keep its filter pretty clean so long as the snorkel is still on the airbox.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #842
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Kawasaki Super Sherpa Headlight Shroud

Hey all ...

I'm looking for a OEM Kawasaki Super Sherpa Headlight Shroud (Cover) ....

see my ad over in the Flea Market ...

WTB ad for Sherpa Headlight Shroud

Thanks ...
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #843
old-n-slow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
I just finished putting on a set of Tusk D-Flex handguards since the Mrs decidied to unceremoniously customize the clutch lever. Dang! Those levers are expensive! Which prompted adding the handguards.

09 Super Sherpa
09 KLR650
old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #844
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I just put my 2000 Sherpa up for sale in the Flea Market. It's one of the few located in California. Check it out!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598622
Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #845
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Resolution (I think?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei
Well, this doesn’t have a happy ending.

This sensation – of a momentary slip or disconnect in the drive train – never really went away. There were a couple of other early symptoms, too:
hard braking from road speed caused the transmission to ‘lock up’ (it won’t downshift after you’re at a stop; you have to slip the clutch a few times to get the shift lever to work);
excessive ‘jolt’ (almost like a chain lash feel but… somehow not quite the same) when going from accelerating and upshifting to decelerating and downshifting – almost like the transmission has rotational slop and moves to take this up when you go from acceleration to deceleration;
three times over the course of about 4000 km, in 6th gear and accelerating after an upshift from 5th, there was a momentary sense of ‘disconnect’ somewhere in the drive train, which lasted about a half second. Felt like could have been sudden complete slippage of clutch or something more ominous;
and finally – this last one happened a fourth time, but was accompanied by a grinding noise and a half second later I was in 5th gear, not 6th.

(SNIP...SNIP)
Ok.... so, when we last tuned in, I had a new Sherpa popping out of 6th gear on occasion, and Kawasaki telling me to go away. The dealer was stuck in the middle.

Well, within the next 6 weeks, I had the bike pop out of gear on me again. I let the dealer know, and they got back to Kawasaki. The answer that came back was:
1) your warranty expires in 2 days.
2) Kawasaki doesn't think there's anything wrong

the dealer did manage to get Kaswasaki Canada to agree to the following, however: if I would authorize a full teardown of the transmission, the dealer could proceed, open everything up, and take a look. If there's a problem - it's a warranty issue. If there's no problem, it's my cost to do it all.

With two days to decide, I took my chances. I'm pretty sure it's not "normal" to pop out of 6th gear when going down the road on a new bike.

Result: On opening, the shop didn't see anything major or grossly obvious, however the condition of the 5/6 shift fork and the shift drum, and degree of gear engagement, was at least 'iffy' - enough for them to justify replacement of the above given the repeated observation of problems. So, in the end, warranty covered the work, and while they were in there, the shop 'shimmed' all the gears to spec engagement measurements. (They tell me that this is standard practice if they prep a bike for racing).

I got my thumper back last week, and the change was obvious in the first 3 gear changes. The 'jolt/chain lash' feel on shifting when going from accelerating to decelerating is completely gone. I've tested the 'downshift after hard braking' and that now is fine, too. So far no jumps out of 6th gear either, but I've only got 200km or so on it since getting it back, and I was previously experiencing that once every 1000 km or so, so too early to say for sure - but given the obvious changes, I bet I'm all good.

Hooray! Too late for my planned trip to Bella Coola on the Sherpa (I ended up doing it over less remote roads on my DL1000 - there's a ride report posted) but perhaps now I can start to think about the Kettle Valley Railway or something similar.

Just glad to have my Sherpa back and all working, and thought I'd share the (eventual) honouring of warranty with all of you.

brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #846
vfar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
hey folks, i posted this link in the "ride reports" area, too but figured i'd drop it in the Super Sherpa thread since it's about a Super Sherpa.

in June my wife, Kim, and i rode to montana. i was on my trusty VFR and she rode her Super Sherpa. in fact, she rode that SS 4,800 miles!

here's the ride report:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i..._1#entry720237

enjoy!
vfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #847
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Excellent ride report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfar
hey folks, i posted this link in the "ride reports" area, too but figured i'd drop it in the Super Sherpa thread since it's about a Super Sherpa.

in June my wife, Kim, and i rode to montana. i was on my trusty VFR and she rode her Super Sherpa. in fact, she rode that SS 4,800 miles!

here's the ride report:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i..._1#entry720237

enjoy!
Living in Colorado, I've been to Yellowstone, Glacier, and Mt. Rushmore.
I happen to have an '01 Super Sherpa and like it so much I sold my big DR650. Your report was well done and the excellent photos make me want to take the Sherpa and visit a few of those places again. Of course I won't have to travel quiet as far (thank goodness). Anyway you look at it, 4,500 miles on ANY motorcycle is a big accomplishment. It's good to know that the Sherpa has the ability to get 'er done.

Ride Safe,

Taz
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #848
cueman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Anybody know if the KL250 Super Sherpa will be available as a 2011 model?
cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #849
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman
If not there may be a few 2010 models left over. Nothing has changed but the paint scheme.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #850
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
From what I can tell, Kawasaki is not releasing a 2011 (nor did it release a 2010) Super Sherpa. If your local dealer does not have one (a 2009) available, you could do a search on Cycletrader.com (there may be one not too far from you).
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #851
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Thumb Great used Sherpa

Why buy new .... when there are some very nice used Sherpa's for sell that already have some quality accessories ...

Check this one ... here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #852
cueman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Yea, that's a nice used SS, but too far away. One of the reasons I am looking is because I was offered a 2009 brand new for $3,299. + tax & title. There is 3 used SS within 200 miles of me. One needs motor work, Another wants $2300. for a 2000 with over 6K miles (probably needs tires, oil / filter, air filter) The 3rd one does not respond to his ad. So, I'll either have to be patient and wait for a good used one or dig deep in the pocket for a new one, and at $3299. I may be better off buying new.
cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #853
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
counter sprocket shaft seal

I need to replace mine. Is there only one seal to replace or is there more to this? Thanks............John
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #854
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Lowering Links

I need to lower my Sherpa as much as possible for my 5'2"wife to learn to ride. I have a full machine shop at my disposal so I can't justify 90 dollars for lowering links. My question is does anyone know how much longer than stock the links need to be? If no on can tell me then I will start with 1/2" as a guess. Any other tips/suggestions on lowering and or setting up the suspension. I thank you in advance for all help.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #855
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

lowering links

Not sure if the link below will work ... but the picture on the Super Sherpa Yahoo Group page shows the lowering links are 3/8" longer (C to C of holes)

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YM9WTNo...k%20comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun
I need to lower my Sherpa as much as possible for my 5'2"wife to learn to ride. I have a full machine shop at my disposal so I can't justify 90 dollars for lowering links. My question is does anyone know how much longer than stock the links need to be? If no on can tell me then I will start with 1/2" as a guess. Any other tips/suggestions on lowering and or setting up the suspension. I thank you in advance for all help.