User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #121
granitegirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Brake levers?

Hi!! I'm a fairly new sherpa owner! I got my 2001 back in mid-August. So far, so good. Although, I just dropped it last weekend while trying to cross my first "small river". Anyway, the end of the brake lever broke off. So I was wondering if any of you have replaced or upgraded your levers? I heard good things about ASV levers. But I can't tell from their website if they're compatible with the Sherpa. Any info?
granitegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #122
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitegirl
Hi!! I'm a fairly new sherpa owner! I got my 2001 back in mid-August. So far, so good. Although, I just dropped it last weekend while trying to cross my first "small river". Anyway, the end of the brake lever broke off. So I was wondering if any of you have replaced or upgraded your levers? I heard good things about ASV levers. But I can't tell from their website if they're compatible with the Sherpa. Any info?
I don't know anything about ASV levers specifically, but I do know that the brake lever from a KLR 650 will fit the Sherpa. It doesn't have the little return spring, but it'll function. Same with the clutch lever, IIRC. So if there's an ASV lever that fits the KLR, it might work.

I'd be tempted to grind the end of the broken lever to take off the sharp edges, and use it as a "shorty" lever. I only ever use two fingers on the front brake anyway.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #123
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC83
Im really psyched about Kawasaki bringing back the super sherpa for '09. Seems like the perfect small bore adventure bike...air-cooled simplicity but the bonus of having a dohc 4-valve head (as opposed to the sohc 2-valve XT and honda CRF), 6 speed, reasonable seat height, etc.

???'s for owners:

1. What kind of MPG are getting?

2. Has anyone tried 50-60mph light touring on a super sherpa?

3. Is there much in the way of aftermarket accessories for this bike?

Thanks for the info!
1) At least 70 mpg. Several people reported 90 and I didn't believe it till we took a trip that was all highway, 45-65 mph: 92 mpg.

2) 50-60 mph light touring is a breeze on the Sherpa. My wife (who is usually on the Sherpa while I am on my KLR) has no trouble keeping up with me.

3) Not much specifically for the Sherpa, but there's plenty of stuff that fits. Rear rack is a must. Kawasaki's is expensive, I have that along with their tail bag. I'd say DON'T buy the tail bag, but the rack is OK.

Mike
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #124
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
I'm looking for a smaller 250-ish dual sport. CRF-230l, xt225, xt250, etc. I've seen the Super Sherpa spec'd out at 26-28 hp on various websites, whereas the others all seem to be between 17-20.

The numbers really don't jive to me. Has anybody ridden a Super Sherpa who can attest that it is noticeably faster than the other small dual sports? I know the Sherpa has a DOHC engine so it should have some more power, but can anybody give me an idea just how much more power a Sherpa would have at say, 65 mph, over one of the other bikes?
That probably comes from the Kawasaki Japan web site that lists the Sherpa at 19kW @ 9000 RPM, which translates to 26 HP.

...They don't have that much power. Yamaha literature lists the new XT-250 at 16 HP, the Sherpa is probably about the same.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #125
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitegirl
Hi!! Anyway, the end of the brake lever broke off. ?
Dual sport bikes get dropped, so get yourself some hand guards. They protect the levers too.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #126
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
I'm not on the YahooGroup list, so I'd like to ask this:

Anybody ever change out the countershaft seal? I just want to know if it can be done without pulling the tranny. That would suck....

And if you have part numbers, that would be cool......
92049-1577

And, you don't need to even take the cover off, just the sprocket. You can gently lift the seal out and replace it without taking anything else apart.

Early year Sherpas had a few countershaft seal failures and the guys that have done more than one usually use something like Loctite Red or Permatex Hi Tack. Don't put it on the seal surface, though - just the outer portion of the seal.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #127
Right Turn Clyde
Pongo pygmaeus

Oddometer: 841
What is a fair price for a 2001-2002 SS?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #128
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Turn Clyde
Around $2,000. Up to $2,500 for low mileage, well maintained examples. Less for dented, scratched, etc. I've watched them sell for several years now. There's one on craigslist now, somewhere in NY, under $1000. I never saw one that low before.

The trick is finding a buyer when you want to sell one.

The other trick is finding a seller when you want to buy one.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #129
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Super Sherpa vs DR350

Have any of you Super Sherpa riders ever compared it (riding, of course) to a Suzuki DR350? I ask because I have a DR350 and that is the bike that one of the new 2009 Super Sherpas might replace. If you have, let me know.

(Of course, if the DR350 were still being made, I wouldn't be asking about another bike, and the DRZ just ain't a happening bike for me.)

Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #130
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Turn Clyde
Chiming in late here, but I paid an even $2k for mine a few months ago from a fellow inmate here. It had ~13k miles. He had put quite a bit of money and elbow grease into the bike and it ran and looked good, came with a few extra parts and a factory repair manual. Now it's a bit dirtier but still runs good!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #131
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
I would not trade a DR350 for a Super Sherpa. The DR350 is a great bike.
That it is (DR350 = good)... I was just trying to get a comparison. Been thinking about which new bike might replace it someday: KLX250S, CRF230L, and now, maybe a Super Sherpa.

But, as I just added to my sig line by the way, something can be obsolete and be pretty darn good. The DR350 is good. It's been frustrating getting it back in running order, and I'm doing some twiddling with it today, but it's starting to repay the effort!

Ahhhhh, you didn't say if you had actually ridden both and, if so, how the two compared.

Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #132
drzoomn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeforger
Ahhhhh, you didn't say if you had actually ridden both and, if so, how the two compared.
Keith
i own both. the sherpa is my wife's bike and i just picked up a DR. although i had borrowed one before so i have considerable seat time on DRs and i've also owned a DRZ.

if it tells you anything, my wife and i are moving into an RV (w/garage) and traveling the country. i could have just taken the sherpa as our street legal bike, but it's just not enough juice for me on the road. hence i bought the DR.

it all depends on what you want to do with it and what kind of rider you are. if you're mostly going to use it in the dirt and feel like the DR is to much of a pig, then you will like the sherpa.

if you ride more on the street you will quickly regret your trade. the sherpa can manage freeway speeds, but not as well as the DR. in the twisties with good street tires you can rail on the sherpa like you wouldn't believe, but the brakes and suspension will make you miss the DR (which says a lot since the DR isn't that great in those departments anyway).

one reason i wanted the DR is that the sherpa is fun for me in the twisties where i live, but on unfamilar twisties i would be hating life because i couldn't carry corner speed like i can on the roads i know so well. so the lack of power would really start to annoy me.

i would not buy a 2009 sherpa after selling your DR. if you're having running problem they could be easily sorted with like 1/4 of the money you'd have to drop on a new bike. besides, used ones are like 2k cheaper than a new one and sherpas often have very low miles.

just because they are 2009's don't make them any fancier or new fangled. the DR is a great motor and nothing on that bike is really older tech or of any worse quality than a brand new sherpa. if you like power and want it, you'll never get much more from the sherpa unless you pay big yen for some parts from japan. the DR on the other hand has a ripe aftermarket and can be easily made in to a HP beast.

so it all depends on what you want. if i had to own one bike for dirt and street i'd pic a DR over a sherpa anyday, but that's just me and that relates to my riding skills and physical size. the sherpa could be the better choice for you.
drzoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #133
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

DRZOOM:

That was a thoughtful and informative post with lots of food for thought. Thanks!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #134
drzoomn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeforger
DRZOOM:

That was a thoughtful and informative post with lots of food for thought. Thanks!!!
no problemo. i actually took a long ride today on the sherpa since the main road to my house was cut off by a downed power line. that little bike is definitely fun in the twisties. although it did remind me of one thing i don't like about riding it. it's lack of HP is fine when you're carrying your speed, but it can be scary when you need to make passes on tight roads.

just something to think about. they are both fun for sure but unless you find the DR too big or powerful, i think it's a waste to sell it and get the sherpa. i love the sherpa, but to me it's just a slower and shorter DR. which is just perfect if you want a slower and shorter DR.

if i were gonna sell my DR because i wanted something new and small i'd get the KLX 250S, it's only $500 more than a sherpa, but you get a water cooled motor (that's probably a wee bit more powerful), newer styling, way better forks and a bike that will probably have a way better aftermarket than the wee sherpa does (thanks in part to it's new motard brother).
drzoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #135
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Mac
Most of the mods (and theres alot of em) are home brew.

The Tank is an IMS 4gal made for a honda xr650. The shape fits well, but the mounting points dont work without some fab work. The stock rubber pucks where replaced with some pvc pipe end caps that I wrapped with inertube rubber. Then I used 1/4 threaded rod through the frame to hold them on. The rear mounting point I bent a piece of aluminium into a upside down U shape. That fit over the frame and bolts to the top engine mount. Its worked without any problems for about 5000 miles now. I get between 225-250 miles to a tank depending on my riding. The xr tank has a brass insert to hold the front of the seat down. This isnt needed on the Sherpa and just plain looked like hell. I used the mounting point to screw a cheep fannypack to the tank. It hides the poor seat to tank fit and I get a tankbag For under $20.

Just wanted to say thanks to GS Mac for this post.

Finally got an XR tank mounted on my Sherpa (thanks to LA Outback Trail, who gave me an old IMS tank free for the shipping---thanks Scott!)

Full install is here:

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,10913.0.html

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote