User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
SZRimaging OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Taking the bike on a business trip?

How many have used their bike for transportation on a business trip?

I may have a training coming up, and it would be in Virginia, and I'm up in Northern MI. Flights are running about $750+ out of the local airports, plus parking for my vehicle while I'm gone. Or, I could spend $80 in fuel and ride my CBR250R down there (as I doubt my brother's Multistrada will be up and running, or that I could borrow it for a week+).

Yes, the company would pay for the flight, if they approve it, but I was thinking I could combo it as a small solo vacation. Take an extra day to run the BRP and enjoy the trip. For the training days, I'll just need street clothes (i.e. t-shirt and pants, maybe a button up) and a laptop, so shouldn't be too hard to pack it all.

Anyone think it is not a good idea?
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,512
Check to make sure that your company travel policy does not specifically forbid use of a motorcycle before you plan on taking your bike. If you use your personal vehicle, they have to pay you mileage, so sometimes driving is not less cost for the company.
Map out the mileage and calculate it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 1,091
Back five years ago, in my GS days, I took a long-term (six-month) temporary assignment a thousand miles from home.

I elected to ride out there with the GS. What I couldn't carry I mailed to the hotel.

I never, EVER regretted it. That summer I saw Sturgis...not on Bike Week per se; but the week before. I rode out to Rushmore. I rode to Minneapolis, 500 miles away, when in-service training required I be there.

I broke the century mark, on the deserted two-lanes of South Dakota. I could never have done that at home.

The few times I needed a cage...help was as close as the Enterprise Rent-A-Car counter. It was a small price to pay for having the option of doing the wide-open West on two wheels.

If you can find a way...DO IT.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
SZRimaging OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Check to make sure that your company travel policy does not specifically forbid use of a motorcycle before you plan on taking your bike. If you use your personal vehicle, they have to pay you mileage, so sometimes driving is not less cost for the company.
Map out the mileage and calculate it.
Good point on the policy part. I'll have to look into it. I work for a privately owned ski resort company, so it is a crap shoot on what does or does not make it to policy. I would have to talk it over with my boss and see what they say.

The training may not even happen, as the western resorts (thank you, mother nature) put a huge dent into the budgets this year. My thought was, if I could sweeten the deal by taking away the flight, it would be more likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Back five years ago, in my GS days, I took a long-term (six-month) temporary assignment a thousand miles from home.

I elected to ride out there with the GS. What I couldn't carry I mailed to the hotel.

I never, EVER regretted it. That summer I saw Sturgis...not on Bike Week per se; but the week before. I rode out to Rushmore. I rode to Minneapolis, 500 miles away, when in-service training required I be there.

I broke the century mark, on the deserted two-lanes of South Dakota. I could never have done that at home.

The few times I needed a cage...help was as close as the Enterprise Rent-A-Car counter. It was a small price to pay for having the option of doing the wide-open West on two wheels.

If you can find a way...DO IT.
It's only a week worth of training, so it shouldn't be too bad, but I would ship a few thing home at the end (which is the usual MO for me on work trips anyways). But thanks for the encouragement. I was in VA at the New Years, and say some of the roads down there, and thought it would be awesome to go ride through the area. Definitely not an opportunity to be missed.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
How many have used their bike for transportation on a business trip?
Yes, I have, for 3 different trips. Two were for training conferences and one was for a laboratory audit for clients. BUT, I am self-employed so I didn't have to get any corporate OK for the travel.

For the audit trip, the clients are charged for my travel, meal, and hotel expenses. The trip was to Salt Lake City, and I priced out airline costs (I use the government per diem for meal and hotel costs), then gave my clients an estimated cost of the audit. I explained that I would be taking the motorcycle instead of the airplane, to get their okay first. The motorcycle trip cost was actually more than taking a plane (one extra night and more meals), but they were charged with what it would have cost if I had flown. Everyone was satisfied, including me and my SO, because we extended our trip to visit Yellowstone!

Personally, I think it's a great idea -- just make sure it's okay with your company.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
boatpuller
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Agree with everyone else. As long as all critical parties sign off on this, it sounds like a great idea (except the go cross country on a 250 part, but that's your call). Ship work clothes to the hotel in advance, ship them home after. Reduces the junk you have to haul on the cycle. Heck, I did similar recently when interrupting my motorcycle vacation to fly international for a couple days of meetings. It worked great.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
SZRimaging OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Agree with everyone else. As long as all critical parties sign off on this, it sounds like a great idea (except the go cross country on a 250 part, but that's your call). Ship work clothes to the hotel in advance, ship them home after. Reduces the junk you have to haul on the cycle. Heck, I did similar recently when interrupting my motorcycle vacation to fly international for a couple days of meetings. It worked great.
Going to avoid freeways, so the 250 will be just fine. I've already done a few long days on the bike (5ish hours), and was plenty comfortable. As long as I don't feel the need to pass someone like I'm Rossi, I'll be just fine on the 250.

So far, the bosses seem to be good with this. Heck, saves the company money vs me flying. Nothing in the handbook says anything about motorcycles, so not violating any known policy. Now just need approval for the training...
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
rotarywing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I do it all the time. Done it for almost 20 years.

Do it! The trip is more fun that way!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
PathLessTraveled
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Need To Bring Much With You?

Unless you have things you need to carry that won't fit on the bike, I'd say yes. I've got an overnight location visit coming up in a couple weeks to Peoria and Bloomington IL. I plan on taking the bike, maybe 400 miles round trip. BUT at around 45 MPG and the company paying $.52 a mile.... A nice little bonus.
2004 BMW R1150 GS (the one with headlights like this )
PathLessTraveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
SZRimaging OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathLessTraveled View Post
Unless you have things you need to carry that won't fit on the bike, I'd say yes. I've got an overnight location visit coming up in a couple weeks to Peoria and Bloomington IL. I plan on taking the bike, maybe 400 miles round trip. BUT at around 45 MPG and the company paying $.52 a mile.... A nice little bonus.
800 miles one way, we pay $.40 a mile, I believe. Still, at 65mpg, a very nice little bonus

That is assuming I don't just turn in gass but take the mileage instead.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,943
I absolutely have numerous times. The reimbursement is same as for car mileage up to a max cost of air fare. On a typical east coast trip it's about enough for a Subway meal or such. The one thing that you can not claim is when the overall trip takes an extra day or more and the overall miles/hotel/work hours expense again exceeds the air fare. Or that your time en-route is enough that people think you should use a day of leave.

I am very careful to show up in clothes appropriate to what the job is, and not create an issue by putting people out for a place to park a ton of motorcycle gear.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Go for it!

Business trips, both local and long distance. As a "business professional" I frequently traveled to others offices, training classes, and business meetings. Amazing how many favorable comments my bikes drew, it really stood out in the parking lot.
You can easily turn comments into conversations and business opportunities.
Any opportunity to ride the Blue Ridge is a good one.
Pack sensibly, travel light, remember UPS is your friend.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #13
SZRimaging OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I get a good deal with a large hotel chain, so if I plan my routes right, hotels will be $35 a night (plus taxes). Sadly, none of their hotels are at my destination, so I'll be paying full rates at the destination.

Travel would be on the weekends plus the one Monday that I would have been traveling anyways. If I take anymore, I'll burn vacation days. So no "extra" days for the motorcycle. And, if I take the extra time to take a "leisurely" route home, I won't charge gas/mileage.

The training is developer training for the API to the CMS we use. So, khakis and polos would be appropriate work wear. I wouldn't be carrying a large amount of gear to the training, as it should all be in my hotel room during the day. Probably just my jacket, helmet and laptop bag. My Sidi boots fit well enough under khakis to not be an issue.

So, I think I am a go, pending final approval from the powers above me.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I have had the GS Coast to Coast this year on business travel. I never think it is fair to charge out on a per-mile rate on the motorcycle, so I look at what the cheapest flight and rental car would cost and bill out accordingly. I usually tack a day or so of vacation on either end if there is something in the area I am interested in seeing.

Don't mind flying, but I freakin' hate the whole airport/airline experience. Once a guy steps through that gate you're are their prisoner.
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I do it all my business trips within a 300 miles radius on my moto, regardless of weather. Much more fun and my female colleagues think I'm "so cool" Last week we discussed an upcoming company trip and my boss suggested "It would be a great motorcycle ride, so let's send him!" I don't mind getting $0.545/mile gas mileage either.
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote