Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
DC354 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ladies! I need your help! or knowledgeable husbands...

So I'm looking at buying a motorcycle for the wife, and I am kind of at a loss of what to get her. Thus far, she's only ridden my 74' mt125. Hardly a roadworthy motorcycle...
I'm hoping to buy something that will have ample power so I'm hoping to stay above the 400cc range. No more than 750 though.
My biggest worry is, what are women comfortable on? I always like the classic bikes that you sit rather upright on, such as dual sports, Honda cms, cb, etc. But my mother was saying that in her riding day, she liked to lean forward more on her nighthawk. And a shadow made her fatigued. I always figured it would be the other way around, but I'm not a female...
So, what are the votes here? Should I go with a sport bike?

The other issue is that she's only 5'4" and the few motorcycles that she's sat on, she can hardly touch the ground.
Any women around 5'4" and around 160-170 (women never tell their weight) have some advice?
DC354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Not a lady but...

Have her look at a Savage / Boulevard S40.

Lots of low mileage used ones for cheap. People learn on them and move on.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,350
I would be curious to know how much experience does she have?
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,799
Well my wife loves her Suzuki DR350, which will do 70 mph, but it is rather tall for someone your wife's size. They can be lowered, however, which might be enough to solve the problem. If you want a little more power, they can also be modified to have 440cc.

For something a little more street oriented, how about the Honda VT500? My wife was looking at those as another possibility, but we never found one in good enough shape in our price range. They are a bit of a collector bike, due to the v-twin engine, but they are really cool.

There is also a Honda FT that didn't come with the twin. Less unique, but also less expensive.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
My O3 BMW F650GS, factory low.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
She'll learn a lot faster and be more comfortable on a bike she can flat foot both feet.

I'd shop seat height as first priority.

'Standard' riding position.

Top box with a mirror inside the lid.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
he man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
gf is 5'4, she rides an XT250 no problem. Shes 110lbs too so less squat on the suspension when she sits down. If shes into dual sports its a pretty fun little bike that will do 70indicated all day.
he man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
My wife's slightly shorter than yours (5'-2") and we had a hell of a time finding something low enough for a new rider to feel comfortable on. She started her riding career on a 250 Sherpa, then a CBR125 and eventually ended up with a 2009 F650GS, factory lowered. LOVES LOVES LOVES it. Did I mention she loves it?

She can more than keep up with me on long trips, and if we want to go down that (mild) dirt road, she's good with that too. It's a real "do-everything adequately" kind of bike.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
She'll learn a lot faster and be more comfortable on a bike she can flat foot both feet.

I'd shop seat height as first priority.

'Standard' riding position.

Top box with a mirror inside the lid.
At first I thought that was a joke, but what a great idea for a surprise! Thanks James!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
jezza909
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I'm 5'5", 160-ish and I have owned:
2001 Suzuki GS500f - sporty, comfy, light, lowering links easy, maneuverable on its narrow tires. Ditched it for more horsepower.
2007 Honda CBR600RR - super sporty, tiny, super sexy. Loved it. Ditched it when the super aggressive riding position got too damn painful.
2009 Kawi KLX 250s - light, but annoyingly tall. Ditched it because I just fall off dirtbikes.
2011 Kawi Ninja 1000 - standard seating, lightest of the "tourers" but still ultimately felt too big, too heavy. Ditched it because while it was comfortable, and marginally manageable, it was uninspiring.
2014 Ducati Monster 798. Love it so far. Wouldn't hesitate to put a beginner on the 696 if they are into finicky Italians.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
WoodRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Here is how I surprised my wife with a motorcycle got here a Honda crf250l she had no clue I have to lower it but it's a good value for the money. Cheers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbs7ZZI...&persist_app=1
WoodRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
clydeturbeaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
You also might look at

The Triumph Bonneville SE. I've heard a lot of ladies like them for their lower seat and good manners.
clydeturbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
At first I thought that was a joke, but what a great idea for a surprise! Thanks James!

THIS helps too..............

Tell her it's OK to have a bad hair day

TUCKERS screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 07:58 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Well my wife loves her Suzuki DR350, which will do 70 mph, but it is rather tall for someone your wife's size. They can be lowered, however, which might be enough to solve the problem. If you want a little more power, they can also be modified to have 440cc.

For something a little more street oriented, how about the Honda VT500? My wife was looking at those as another possibility, but we never found one in good enough shape in our price range. They are a bit of a collector bike, due to the v-twin engine, but they are really cool.

There is also a Honda FT that didn't come with the twin. Less unique, but also less expensive.
MY first "big" bike my dad got me when I got my bike license was a VT 500 Ascot. It looked cool but it had about a 80 mile range on a tank of fuel and was unbearably uncomfortable to sit on after about 40 miles. I rode that mess through Yosemite on my first long ride. My dad rode his K100rs which is like riding a couch and has about a 300 mile tank. I definitely held up the trip.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
DirtFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
This is your and your wife's answer. Are you ready? Good.

A BMW F650CS-- $2000-3500 for a clean one-- not a GS, a CS. They come with a lower seat or you can find on on eBay or BMW Forums. Anyway, this bike has ABS, 50 HP, water cooling, disk brakes, heated grips is low to the ground and is very light. It's a single but will run 70-80 mph very, very easily. The motor is made by Rotax, if you dont know'em, look'em up and learn!

A second excellent bike is a Suzuki SV650 -- clean from $2500-3500. This bike is a twin cylinder, low to the ground and easy for 5'5 men or women to handle. How do I know this? My wife has thousands of miles on both bikes and currently owns one of each!

And, both these bikes are good for safely riding on the street, some mentioned are not powerful enough to be really safe.

If she is just starting out, get her Honda Rebel 250. Let her ride it till she is extremely comfortable on it, then get her a one of the two "real bikes" mentioned above.

DirtFun
DirtFun is offline   Reply With Quote