Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #196
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardRider View Post
Bluepoof's experiences (in my experience) are not the norm, going cross country twice with never a hair-raising moment as a woman alone seems unlikely; but perhaps we're using different definitions ... you don't have to have been attacked or robbed to have had to deal with safety issues; in point of fact, having a good safety strategy is intended to prevent such things from happening!
Hrm....I don't know. Maybe we do have different definitions. Unlikely or not, I've put thousands of miles on as a solo woman rider and really have never had an issue. That said, I grew up traveling with my parents around the world and perhaps my common sense is so ingrained that I don't notice doing anything in particular. ;)

Of course there are times where I make conscious decisions on what to do or how to act, but I guess I never thought of those as being because I was a woman. YMMV.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #197
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Bluepoof's experiences (in my experience) are not the norm, going cross country twice with never a hair-raising moment as a woman alone seems unlikely; but perhaps we're using different definitions ... you don't have to have been attacked or robbed to have had to deal with safety issues; in point of fact, having a good safety strategy is intended to prevent such things from happening!
Really? I find that hard to believe. I too have been across the country solo, as well as numerous half-cross country trips, as well as a couple of solo rides through Mexico. I have NEVER had a hair raising moment (unless you count the time I low-sided in Mexico )

I believe that instead, we used our instincts and sixth sense to keep away from such situations. I chose where to ride and when to ride and whom to talk with and whom to avoid. By doing this well, I encountered no one whom I felt uneasy with, let alone frightened of.

I strongly believe that self confidence is one of the best weapons you can have. Be aware of your surroundings, but don't flinch from them

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #198
mo707
Rose of the Road

Oddometer: 4
great tips amigas!

I'm typing this on my phone so I don't have the luxury of addressing individual responses but, I like the practical advice.

Personally I get bugged at nearly every gas station I go to when on a trip. But I'm incredibly antisocial. I don't even like telling people my name when I'm touring alone. I know this is extreme. But one crazy eyed gentleman followed me for 80 miles to ask me out on a date on the offramp of the freeway. And then suggested that I owed it to him because he went so far out of his way. That happened my first day of my first real solo tour and it spooked me. When I say I get bugged, everyone wants to talk about my bike, they want to know where I'm headed, they want to know where I'm from. They want my number, they want to buy me hotel rooms. They want me to look them up when I roll thru their town. Its exhausting to encounter this every hundred miles when I fill up. I guess I'm bitching this topic semi extensively because I'm wondering what I'm needing in my arsenal for social interactions? My intention is to be diplomatic yet firm. What do you do? I just end up hopping back on my bike and getting out of there, but id like to have the luxury of stretching and relaxing. Maybe I'm making it a bigger deal then it needs to be, I know some of the folks aren't creeps. But how many times I heard in my 5,000 miles. "Wow! You are going to make some man a great wife!" It's uncanny.

I've only been riding a little over a year and a half. I prefer riding alone hands down. I consider other riders a liability and don't usually enjoy riding behind them. too there is so much I'm ready and willing to do on my bike, I'm not waiting around for somebody to get it together to join me. My next tour begins in a couple days, and I'm ready to get some skills to deal with the overly friendly talkative gas station creeperoos.

I suspect I'm taking it to personally. But like I said I got spooked. Maybe that self defense class will give me the gumption that I need to feel secure and less vulnerable.

And to answer someones post. I'm doing the us borders and touring individual states extensively. Plan is 25 to 30,000 miles in 6 months. I've traveled solo for most of my trips Some of the tour is lining up with other adventures. Bicycling Iowa in an event called Ragbrai, hiking part of the AT, canoeing in Pennsylvannia, rock climbing in Phoenix, sailing in St. Croix. Yes im a little nervous, but I know once I'll be in the 'doing' part of the trip rather then the 'planning' part will ease a lot of the mental rif raff. The tour is open to the adventures that present themselves. Stopping along the way to explore points of interest, camp in beautiful places and see my friends along the way.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #199
maiden.jade
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Being anti-social...

No, mo707, nothing wrong with that. I'm inclined to keep to myself too. But I'm Asian so I can pretend not to understand English (although I've never done that). It will be hard if they see me swiping my credit card and punching the instructions on the keypad at the gas station. So I figure, just roll with it. Think of it this way, most people want to talk to you about your trip because they think of you as an inspiration figure.
maiden.jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #200
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Oddometer: 438
Like I said, all my motorbike travels are solo. I get questions. I have been in a parking lot stripping off layers and have an entire family stop to chat with me. Gas station attendants and patrons have asked me questions. I've been asked where I'm from, where I'm going, what's that orange thing on my arm (Spot), what kind of bike, knobbies, panniers, GPS, whats those shiny things, arent you concerned traveling alone, yada yada yada. Honestly, sometimes it's annoying because it does cause delays, but y'know, there was a time long long long ago that I would have seen a female riding a bike solo and would be curious too. Perhaps it's from my old journalism career, but I have an understanding of people asking questions. I actually find it refreshing that this day and age (where people are plugged into one device or another, and so self isolated that they forgot how to interact) people would actually have the kahunas to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger. Yes, there are freaks out there. The world is a circus. We are part of it. There are people that mean you harm. The majority don't, and are just muddling their way like everyone else, and here's this female power ranger that is an anomaly in the day to day goings on, and what's the harm in saying, hey, whatcha doing? I'm fairly a-social myself, but I have found that these random interactions are all part of the adventure, and if someone wants to ask a question, buy me lunch, tell me where a really cheap but nice B&B is, or that the road I'm taking is under construction, I rely on my instincts, past experiences, and common sense to filter the info that's presented to me. You're on a motorbike to get outside the box, to learn about yourself and what you're made of. You're exposed. Welcome the risk, be smart about it, and live the adventure you chose to be on. You are fortunate. So many others aren't.

Not All Who are Lost Wish to be Found
bmwgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #201
CanadaCarrie
Excited Rookie!

Oddometer: 35
Any of you in Utah?

Great thread - thank you! Having spent the winter in Tulum Mexico around motorcycles I am amped to get home and increase my road skills for multi-day trips.

I currently live in Park City, UT and own a TTR 225 that I have to use 'till I save up $$ for another bike. Gotta work with what you got.

If anyone wants to go for a ride with this rookiem that would be great!
CanadaCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #202
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrrl View Post
Like I said, all my motorbike travels are solo. I get questions. I have been in a parking lot stripping off layers and have an entire family stop to chat with me. Gas station attendants and patrons have asked me questions. I've been asked where I'm from, where I'm going, what's that orange thing on my arm (Spot), what kind of bike, knobbies, panniers, GPS, whats those shiny things, arent you concerned traveling alone, yada yada yada. Honestly, sometimes it's annoying because it does cause delays, but y'know, there was a time long long long ago that I would have seen a female riding a bike solo and would be curious too. Perhaps it's from my old journalism career, but I have an understanding of people asking questions. I actually find it refreshing that this day and age (where people are plugged into one device or another, and so self isolated that they forgot how to interact) people would actually have the kahunas to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger. Yes, there are freaks out there. The world is a circus. We are part of it. There are people that mean you harm. The majority don't, and are just muddling their way like everyone else, and here's this female power ranger that is an anomaly in the day to day goings on, and what's the harm in saying, hey, whatcha doing? I'm fairly a-social myself, but I have found that these random interactions are all part of the adventure, and if someone wants to ask a question, buy me lunch, tell me where a really cheap but nice B&B is, or that the road I'm taking is under construction, I rely on my instincts, past experiences, and common sense to filter the info that's presented to me. You're on a motorbike to get outside the box, to learn about yourself and what you're made of. You're exposed. Welcome the risk, be smart about it, and live the adventure you chose to be on. You are fortunate. So many others aren't.
Well put!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #203
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,437
Great thread and awesome topics! I shall pass this on to a couple of my lady friends!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #204
SakiBomb
Excited!

Oddometer: 20
Mo707, When it comes down to it, men will obviously be intrigued by a woman rider. Even when my husband and I rode 2200 miles through New England and Canada they would approach me instead of him. I think its just a male ego thing hah! I can imagine how creeped out I would be if some weirdo followed me for that long, Id be looking at my 6 every inch of the way if possible!

In the end, you are living so many peoples dreams! :) Riding solo all over the place (AWESOME)! Unfortunatly men are going to be a majority of those dreamers and Im sure they just want to meet the face behind the helmet to shoot the breeze and share for a few.

You go girl, glad you are strong enough to push forward and stand tall. You make us all proud!
Team Moss
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #205
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post
Really? I find that hard to believe. I too have been across the country solo, as well as numerous half-cross country trips, as well as a couple of solo rides through Mexico. I have NEVER had a hair raising moment (unless you count the time I low-sided in Mexico )

I believe that instead, we used our instincts and sixth sense to keep away from such situations. I chose where to ride and when to ride and whom to talk with and whom to avoid. By doing this well, I encountered no one whom I felt uneasy with, let alone frightened of.

I strongly believe that self confidence is one of the best weapons you can have. Be aware of your surroundings, but don't flinch from them
just for the record, the west coast misses you.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #206
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV View Post
just for the record, the west coast misses you.
The feeling is mutual

Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #207
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post

Reckon you mean to say that "nothing bad happened" (aside from that low-side!). You're putting too much menace into the term "hair-raising" (which could well be the cell-phone-using soccer mom in the SUV that cuts you off). The fact you "used our instincts and sixth sense to keep away from such situations. I chose where to ride and when to ride and whom to talk with and whom to avoid" goes to show that you considered your personal safety an issue, and took action to keep yourself safe.

There's been some excellent suggestions for what I call "safety strategies" posted on here already, and I hope there will be more. They're less for those who already ride solo, and more as tips (and encouragement) for those who are still pondering the notion.

It would be a dangerous disservice to imply that long distance "solo rides" (regardless of gender) don't entail some additional risks over riding with others. And riding solo, for those that choose to embark on it, can be phenomenally rewarding. But the point of discussing safety issues is to help mitigate the added risks, not to dismiss their existence.

BTW, I checked out your site and loved the tales therein. At worst we're approaching the question from different angles, but overall we've the same intention to encourage more (women) riders to embark on journeys of their own.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #208
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Reckon you mean to say that "nothing bad happened" (aside from that low-side!). You're putting too much menace into the term "hair-raising" (which could well be the cell-phone-using soccer mom in the SUV that cuts you off).
I'm picking hairs that this point, but no, I meant to say "nothing bad happened". The bus that was in my lane as I came around the corner, the bull that rushed out into the roadway in front of me, the landslides that covered half the roadway... all of those were hair raising experiences, but none of them were specific to a solo woman motorcyclists. Since that is the main focus of this topic (or so I thought), so that was what I addressed.

Quote:
It would be a dangerous disservice to imply that long distance "solo rides" (regardless of gender) don't entail some additional risks over riding with others. And riding solo, for those that choose to embark on it, can be phenomenally rewarding. But the point of discussing safety issues is to help mitigate the added risks, not to dismiss their existence.

Quote:
BTW, I checked out your site and loved the tales therein. At worst we're approaching the question from different angles, but overall we've the same intention to encourage more (women) riders to embark on journeys of their own.
Right on!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #209
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
Pink clothing?

I've ridden a lot alone,since 2005, with no problems, except "dumb questions", like "You didn't ride that all the way here, did you?".

I've had no "female rider" safety issues, but I don't wear pink gear, either.(and no offense intended to those who do) I wear "women specific" jackets for the fit, but they are gray and black, with silver helmets. Now, if one was to wear a leather halter top.... I can see where that might cause some problems.

Now that I have a big ol' GoldWing, I am thinking of getting some pink gear, just for the irony factor.
Without reading the last 10 pages, what is the consensus on the question:
Is it better to "look like a girl" when riding or not? Like with the pink clothing/ helmets? Just wondering if it makes a difference in how one is perceived/ treated out on the road.

I know color makes a difference as all my friends who have started wearing HiViz say it's amazing how drivers don't pull out in front of them as much,etc.
What about pink?
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #210
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit View Post
I've ridden a lot alone,since 2005, with no problems, except "dumb questions", like "You didn't ride that all the way here, did you?".

I've had no "female rider" safety issues, but I don't wear pink gear, either.(and no offense intended to those who do) I wear "women specific" jackets for the fit, but they are gray and black, with silver helmets. Now, if one was to wear a leather halter top.... I can see where that might cause some problems.

Now that I have a big ol' GoldWing, I am thinking of getting some pink gear, just for the irony factor.
Without reading the last 10 pages, what is the consensus on the question:
Is it better to "look like a girl" when riding or not? Like with the pink clothing/ helmets? Just wondering if it makes a difference in how one is perceived/ treated out on the road.

I know color makes a difference as all my friends who have started wearing HiViz say it's amazing how drivers don't pull out in front of them as much,etc.
What about pink?
I've been thinking about getting the stick-on ponytails for my helmet as a fun factor.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote