User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #316
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
pants

I know all about pants that ride up...and shrink after washing (was no problem in the 80s) and short jackets, sleeping bags, etc....
...and bikes. (That's how I chose the KLR over -say, a Ninja for a starter bike. Ninjas are good bikes but the salesguy had fun with that one.)
I like the idea of shin guards versus pads in pants, I wondered how well those pants stay in place when something does happen...boots might be next on my list. Turns out my before-mentioned hiking boots
are good for short rides and then hike, but not that great for any length of time standing on pegs...

Thanks, ladies!

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #317
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,901
Cowgirl told me about these pants, which I'm buying. I'm losing weight, so as I shrink, the pads can be transferred over to a smaller Lycra pant. The pants with armor are $159. New Lycra pants are $75.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/

It seems to me they'll hold armor in place a lot better than the various pieces I have already.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #318
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Cowgirl told me about these pants, which I'm buying. I'm losing weight, so as I shrink, the pads can be transferred over to a smaller Lycra pant. The pants with armor are $159. New Lycra pants are $75.

It seems to me they'll hold armor in place a lot better than the various pieces I have already.

Interesting, but I wonder just how well they really hold up to the slide. One wouldn't think Lycra would hold up, and I know denim won't. If you buy them, give us a review. I would definitely love to hear it.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #319
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
Interesting, but I wonder just how well they really hold up to the slide. One wouldn't think Lycra would hold up, and I know denim won't. If you buy them, give us a review. I would definitely love to hear it.
I do have a pair of the short padded pants... you will need at least one pants size up to wear them and they get pretty hot in the summer (they are worn underneath your riding pants)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #320
Gitana
A work in progress

Quote:
You wear them under your riding pants, so I don't think it's going to be an issue. Those under Klim Dakar pants look pretty bomb proof.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #321
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

You would think that they would be cooler than that. Somewhat like mesh, perhaps.

The Bahns are being marketed as wearing them under regular blue jeans. (thus the remark about the slide and denim) I'm with you two...under my tex pants or not at all. Thanks for the info. I'll just stick with my riding pants.
Two Wheel Females.com
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #322
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,539
Quote:

Those look interesting.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #323
Gitana
A work in progress

Quote:
You would think that they would be cooler than that. Somewhat like mesh, perhaps.

The Bahns are being marketed as wearing them under regular blue jeans. (thus the remark about the slide and denim) I'm with you two...under my tex pants or not at all. Thanks for the info. I'll just stick with my riding pants.
After my get-off this year, I want some extra padding. The Klim Dakar pants don't have enough. Of course it won't be a problem if I fall on my butt!
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #324
Penmeister
Portabella

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

Love 'em! I have two pair - one in the mesh style for the summer heat and one pair in the Lycra style for spring/fall. They go under your jeans or other pants and will stay put if you have the correct size. I found the mesh to be less forgiving than the Lycra. Have not crashed so can't tell you how they hold up!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #325
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 240
Pants & Boots

For off-road riding I wouldn't bather with kneepads, get yourself some shingurards and take the pads out of the pants. And definitely look into Klim, good stuff and roomy enough for shinguards. Another good brand is revit (just don't throw your pants over a hot exhaust and burn a hole in it... don't ask how I know it ).

In the long run you'll end up with more than one pair anyway, vented and non-vented....[/QUOTE]

After melting the knees on pants (dirt bike, ground, me...), I now have BMW Santiago's with leather on the knee. Melt proof plus a little grippy. Women's sizing = stretch where you need it, no waist gaps. They have vents and liners, so are all season. They don't make them anymore, but some can be found on-line (ADV Gear).

I leave the armor in the pants, then wear motocross boots for extra shin/leg pro and a nice stiff sole that offers good support when on the pegs. Some of the 'entry level' boots are not as stiff and are OK for hiking around, but still offer great protection compared to street boots.

As I learn and push myself off-road, I 'test' my gear and I trust it. Saved my body many times!
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #326
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
After melting the knees on pants (dirt bike, ground, me...), I now have BMW Santiago's with leather on the knee. Melt proof plus a little grippy. Women's sizing = stretch where you need it, no waist gaps. They have vents and liners, so are all season. They don't make them anymore, but some can be found on-line (ADV Gear).

I leave the armor in the pants, then wear motocross boots for extra shin/leg pro and a nice stiff sole that offers good support when on the pegs. Some of the 'entry level' boots are not as stiff and are OK for hiking around, but still offer great protection compared to street boots.

As I learn and push myself off-road, I 'test' my gear and I trust it. Saved my body many times!
+1

I have one pair of BMW Trailguard trousers, which come in womens sizes, and wear them with MX boots. Trousers have knee/shin and hip pads, which I have tested (ouch), and this combination works well for me. Pads seem to stay in place and MX boots have protected my shins and feet many times when riding off road.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #327
AtvMinibike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
One thing just don't bring everything one can buy the personal stuff like lip balm and all and you will be surprised how far the dollar conversion goes in countries mentoned.
AtvMinibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #328
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtvMinibike View Post
One thing just don't bring everything one can buy the personal stuff like lip balm and all and you will be surprised how far the dollar conversion goes in countries mentoned.
I'd like to buy some punctuation, please

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #329
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Two Wheel Females.com
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #330
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
Woot Woot,
I just wanted to bring this back up on the list again.

I'm planning a trip to W. Virginia in late April to the Spring Frolic. It will be my first solo trip ever! Super Excited! I'm also thinking a trial, short over night trip close to home, might be a good idea. Also to test out my gear and make sure everything works (mess kit, stove, fuel & such items).

One thing I'd like to know, does anyone carry tools? and experience with changing a tire while on the road? Also, does anyone use the Google Spot thingy? I will further research it, but wondered if people had a general opinion relating to traveling on the two wheels.

I don't have any hot boys accompanying me on this trip, so I feel like changing the tire is important for me to know. Or at least have a game plan. What is a good game plan if something bad possibly happens?