Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #331
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
Woot Woot,
I just wanted to bring this back up on the list again.

I'm planning a trip to W. Virginia in late April to the Spring Frolic. It will be my first solo trip ever! Super Excited! I'm also thinking a trial, short over night trip close to home, might be a good idea. Also to test out my gear and make sure everything works (mess kit, stove, fuel & such items).

One thing I'd like to know, does anyone carry tools? and experience with changing a tire while on the road? Also, does anyone use the Google Spot thingy? I will further research it, but wondered if people had a general opinion relating to traveling on the two wheels.

I don't have any hot boys accompanying me on this trip, so I feel like changing the tire is important for me to know. Or at least have a game plan. What is a good game plan if something bad possibly happens?
do the test trip and find out what you really need... also will help you with packing and the "packing order" to set-up camp.

you should always carry tools (I got caught w/o a few weeks ago and use a piece of wood to fix my shifter ). Change your own tires at home and you should be good on the road: I started helping, the next time I did it with supervision (but did not allow my hubby to touch anything) and now I just kick my hubby out when it's tire time. ohh, and don't forget to carry a patch kit and a pump .

I don't carry a spot, but it's definitely on the list (I tend to change plans/routes while I'm on the road )

btw here's my x-mas present: I love it!!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #332
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888
Oooooo, I like those irons So pretty and shiny !

I was gonna purchase a slimer, as I see most people with those. Some irons are going on the list of purchasing. I always carry a spare tube, as the DR's rear is not a KLR (usually wound up riding with KLR's).

Thanks for the tips Cuttle!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #333
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
I carry tools. I'm lacking in mechanical knowledge but at least if I have the tools someone might be able to help me.

I carry a SPOT so if something happens I have a way to alert someone.

Most my riding is solo, no men or anyone else, and I just do it. It's great to be out there riding and enjoying the world around us.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #334
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
List of biggies I do/have before for a solo adventure:

- tools
- route info
- cell phone + emergency charger
- flashlight
- tire repair kit
- inflator
- email route info to friend/family & establish check-in times
- I.C.E info in map pocket of tank bag, or any other visible place
- meds, if any (as well as listing them on the I.C.E. info page above)
- Toilet paper/baby wipes
- Copy of Eye Rx if you wear glasses (sucks to lose a pair and not be able to get them refilled while on the road)
- Buy & carry extra fuses

Learn how to change a tire before you leave on your ride - mucho important! You should already know the basics of maintenance. It never hurts to tell more than one person where you are going and check in with them daily. The I.C.E. info is necessary if you have an accident and are unable to respond to anyone.

The best thing you could do is to do a trial run to MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AND CONFIDENT ON YOUR OWN.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #335
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug0048 View Post
most my riding is solo, no men or anyone else, and i just do it. It's great to be out there riding and enjoying the world around us.
+1000

-k
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #336
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Hey Velvet!
That's such an awesome idea about the Rx glasses/contacts. I usually carry spare contacts with my glasses being back up. Altho I'm feeling the switch of glasses only, as I don't have to have the drama of solution and a case or ripping a contact.

Is it bad I don't know what an I.C.E. info packet is? Maybe I just don't realize what it is.

I've seen (not experienced) the guy on ADV who changes a tire with just ratchet straps. I'm not entirely sure if I'm convinced of it or not. But I would think it's easier to change a tire with the irons instead?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #337
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
Hey Velvet!
That's such an awesome idea about the Rx glasses/contacts. I usually carry spare contacts with my glasses being back up. Altho I'm feeling the switch of glasses only, as I don't have to have the drama of solution and a case or ripping a contact.

Is it bad I don't know what an I.C.E. info packet is? Maybe I just don't realize what it is.

I've seen (not experienced) the guy on ADV who changes a tire with just ratchet straps. I'm not entirely sure if I'm convinced of it or not. But I would think it's easier to change a tire with the irons instead?
I.C.E. = In Case of Emergency. Mine usually consists of a large piece of paper with:

My Name
Allergies
My Phone Number
Emergency Contact Name/Phone number
Medications I am taking
If I need/wear glasses contacts
Note explaining what I am doing... i.e.: moto trip to xxx from xxx.

Change a tire with tire irons, your knees and a block of wood! Bring a tad bit of dish soap in a tiny Purel hand sanitizer container to use to find the hole in your tube, if you're running tubes.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #338
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
Also add ICE as a contact in your phone and give your in case of emergency contact name and number. I understand emergency folks look for the ICE listing when responding to accidents where a person can't tell them.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #339
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
Change a tire with tire irons, your knees and a block of wood! Bring a tad bit of dish soap in a tiny Purel hand sanitizer container to use to find the hole in your tube, if you're running tubes.
Great idea for the small suds bottle, do you think shampoo could work? Then one less item.

I've changed my tires once so far, and found that the longer the irons, the more leverege. What brand are the ones with the wrenches on the end? They look really useful.

Heading on my first solo trip (about 1,000 miles in CA) in March. Also planning for a SPOT, I know my cell service will drop in some areas.

-Dawn
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #340
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
Great idea for the small suds bottle, do you think shampoo could work? Then one less item.

I've changed my tires once so far, and found that the longer the irons, the more leverege. What brand are the ones with the wrenches on the end? They look really useful.

Heading on my first solo trip (about 1,000 miles in CA) in March. Also planning for a SPOT, I know my cell service will drop in some areas.

-Dawn
I think shampoo would work just fine.

Where at in CA? I'm smack dab in the middle and if you're near, you have a bed, shower and hot meal here.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #341
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Also add ICE as a contact in your phone and give your in case of emergency contact name and number. I understand emergency folks look for the ICE listing when responding to accidents where a person can't tell them.
I wouldn't rely on medical personnel to look through my phone to find any info - especially if they aren't familiar with your type of device. Also, what happens if it becomes separated from your person? I liked keeping all my info in the map window of my tank bag because it's clearly visible to anyone and leaves nothing for them to guess if time is of the essence.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #342
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
Ridin sola

I have done several long tours alone. I carry a minimal tool kit- a friend set it up for me-- a just enough to keep it running kit, that is in addition/ upgrade to the bike tool kit.
I DO NOT carry tire tools. I don't go off road alone and I wouldn't attempt to change a tire on or off road. I am just not physically strong enough to break beads and all that. I have roadside assistance on my insurance, and off road I travel with guys who have TOOLS and EXPERIENCE and I am grateful for their help. I do carry a can of inflator/ sealant stuff and I had to use it once when I was alone. ( road bike, tubeless tire)

Have your bike mechanicals/ tires set up before you go, don't overpack/ over load and have a wonderful trip!!!!
SPOT satellite trackers are a good idea, and fun for your friends back home. I don't have one myself... but most of my riding buddies do. I do have a GPS and I highly recommend that. I have a car model ( cheap) with RAM mount and it has survived a lot of off road miles just fine.

I don't carry cooking stuff-- I don't want to deal with the extra stuff. I eat along the way from grocery store delis- fairly cheap, fresher than freeze dried. I take a quart size ziploc full of nuts,granola and dried fruit and that will get me through several breakfasts/ missed meals.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #343
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Woot ! Some really awesome suggestions in here. I wonder which is better, the shampoo or soap? I'll give those both a try out.
I like the idea of the longer irons, the more leverage.
The contact info is a great idea. I usually send a mass txt to 4/5 people (depending on the length of my ride) I send when I leave and the projected time to be back. I'm thinking that a ziplock with my info is going to be a nice addition to my tankbag's map pocket.
I usually do travel with other guys on the off-road trail and Simpson and several other guys are just incredible with help. But every now and then, that wild hair just gets loose and a lil bit of dirt looks reallllllllyyyyy good.

So jealous of the lone-tourers here :) and so glad you womenz are wonderful about the advice. It's really appreciated
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #344
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Where at in CA? I'm smack dab in the middle and if you're near, you have a bed, shower and hot meal here.
Thanks! So far trip includes SLO, Salinas, and Shasta Lake to visit family and friends, then to RawHyde Adventures for something. I'm ready for more off-road training (that doesn't involve my husband being helpful and me getting upset because he's so much better :), plus some days in the desert sounds really good right now.

Comments on the ICE/info: I carry my information and cell phone in my jacket. I want to be able to call for help if I get separated from the bike, or if I'm down and can't reach the tank bag. Also, I've been an EMT and we look for info on the person first.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #345
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
- Copy of Eye Rx if you wear glasses (sucks to lose a pair and not be able to get them refilled while on the road)

My husband and I took a 2,500+ mile trip to Cabot Trail/Nova Scotia. In the middle of Nowhere, Nova Scotia (the province itself is in the middle of nowhere) he managed to lose his glasses in a lake. (http://dantesdame.wordpress.com/moto...nova-scotia-1/ here, if you're interested in reading about it) We managed to solve the problem, but it would have been better if there had been no "problem" to begin with

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote