Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #361
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtheskytonight View Post
Just because you have a vagina doesnt mean that you need a ridiculous amount of toiletries.
+1

My toiletry kit for my last big trip (seven months in Mex/CA):
-Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
-Sunscreen
-Small deodorant
-One bar soap
-Pocket-size hairbrush (and I have a lot of hair--I promise it works) and extra hair ties
-Razor and spare razor blades
-Small bottle shampoo (I'll have to try LUSH--I used to use JR Liggets but it started gunking up my hair too much)
-Small bag of Q-tips
-Tweezers
-Small pair scissors (to trim bangs, etc...)
-Black eyeliner for special occasions
-A small packet of minipads (IUD mostly takes care of this issue, but I used to use [and love] the DivaCup)
Everything fit into a 1.5 liter mesh bag

Non-motorcycle Clothing:
-5 pr cotton undies (cute ones--after seven months on a bike, you need something to feel pretty in!) In retrospect, I would get seamless panties because that many hours on the bike does tend to dig seams into your sits bones... However, wearing a thong on a motorcycle in Central America sounds a) uncomfortable, and b) like an open invitation for a yeast infection
-One bra (nude-colored so I never have to worry about whether or not I can wear it with this shirt or that shirt). I always bring safety pins, and by the end of this trip the metal bits on both straps had broken, and they were held together with safety pins for the last two months! Kind of ghetto, but it worked a treat!
-One sports bra
-Two t-shirts
-One tank top
-One bikini
-One breathable button-up adjustable-sleeve shirt
-One pair lightweight airy pants
-One skirt (lived in it off the bike)
-Polypro top and bottom
-Hat for sun, hat for cold
-Flipflops and Five-fingers
-Two-gallon ziplock bag to wash laundry in when there's no sink, or no sink plug, or whatever else.

In all, I carried almost half the amount of stuff that the various guys I met carried with them (full gear rundown here), and that's with a vagina.
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #362
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,523
This tip: Two-gallon ziplock bag to wash laundry in when there's no sink, or no sink plug, or whatever else.

I haven't seen before and it's a terrific idea. I use ziplocks for all sorts of things and that just one more useful idea.

Thanks.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #363
Kissy_Liz_1977
Live Spherically

Oddometer: 13
So good....

My SO and I are planning a trip from good ol' St. Louie to White Sands in New Mexico next month. Up until now all my riding has been day trips, so all the info I've found on the forum has been SUPER helpful in trying to figure out not only what, but how much stuff to pack for the ride. You ladies have thought of some stuff I would have not thought to pack, and I'm betting that I'll be glad I took your advice. :)

Lots of people mentioned having ICE information handy. Years ago, I bought a little wrap around thingy from a place called Rescue Facts that goes around the chin strap on my helmet (it's surprisingly comfy too). It is a little velcro do-dad that inside has a form with picture of me and all my important information. Blood type, who to contact, allergies, all that good stuff is on there. The idea being that if I'm in an accident one of the first things they'll do is remove my helmet (regardless of where the bike ends up). Then voila! There's my info! Yes, I get no end of teasing from my SO about it, but hey, it makes sense to me. Just thought I'd share in case someone else finds it to be a helpful way to carry their ICE info.
Kissy_Liz_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #364
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
This tip: Two-gallon ziplock bag to wash laundry in when there's no sink, or no sink plug, or whatever else.

I haven't seen before and it's a terrific idea. I use ziplocks for all sorts of things and that just one more useful idea.

Thanks.
Glad to help

Quote:
Years ago, I bought a little wrap around thingy from a place called Rescue Facts that goes around the chin strap on my helmet (it's surprisingly comfy too). It is a little velcro do-dad that inside has a form with picture of me and all my important information. Blood type, who to contact, allergies, all that good stuff is on there. The idea being that if I'm in an accident one of the first things they'll do is remove my helmet (regardless of where the bike ends up). Then voila! There's my info!
I like that idea: very logical. Is it obvious what it is when you remove the strap?
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #365
Kissy_Liz_1977
Live Spherically

Yeah, the chin strap wrap around thingy is obvious, but not obvious. You can't see it from a distance really because it's black and frankly I wear a full face helmet. So it doesn't scream at someone when I'm wearing it or if it's sitting on a table or something. However it is made of nylon type material and has embroidery on it with a medical symbol and it says 'RESCUE FACTS INSIDE'. No way someone is going to over look it if they're trying to remove my helmet. Of course this is assuming that my helmet isn't removed during the accident itself. Call me paranoid, but I also ride with my licence in my pocket and my organ donor card (with blood type) taped securely to the back of it. I figure if I loose my helmet and jacket in an accident, there won't be enough of me left to 'rescue' anyway.....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #366
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,845
Rescue Facts found here: https://www.rescuefacts.com/ $14.95 for the motorcycle strap.

I always carry wet wipes in a ziplock along with the TP. Why? If you've ever had traveler's revenge in the middle of nowhere, you'll understand why it's so much nicer having something larger and moist for cleanup. Sorry if that's gross. I also carry a small tube of Aveeno moisturizer. I get really dry skin, and while it's additional weight, it's worth it. If I'm traveling in the U.S., I see no reason to buy anything other than travel sizes because it's easy to resupply. I also carry a small bottle of 100% DEET. I am a mosquito magnet and nothing else works as well.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #367
Kissy_Liz_1977
Live Spherically

hair issues

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question.... but here goes....

In a few weeks I'll be taking a long ride, at mostly highway speeds. I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair, and I find that if I pull my hair into a low pony tail (or god forbid leave it to flow in the wind) I end up with a rat's nest by the time I'm done with a long, fast ride (although it works just fine for shorter slower ones). My hair is too short to braid, or to wear one of those leather pony tail holder thingys.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve my little 'rats nest' hair problem? Short of cutting off all my hair that is....

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #368
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissy_Liz_1977 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve my little 'rats nest' hair problem? Short of cutting off all my hair that is....

Thanks!

have you tried two pig tails instead of one pony tail? you may find out that you can braid two sides easier than just the back.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #369
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:

In a few weeks I'll be taking a long ride, at mostly highway speeds. I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair, and I find that if I pull my hair into a low pony tail (or god forbid leave it to flow in the wind) I end up with a rat's nest by the time I'm done with a long, fast ride (although it works just fine for shorter slower ones). My hair is too short to braid, or to wear one of those leather pony tail holder thingys.

Thanks!

Go to the nearest Harley shop, and get one of the leather pony tail thingys. It works great, and you can always cut it to length! I have been using it for years, and I only have a few tangles right at the ends, easy to get out. I use it for dirtbiking as well as street, and I have longer than shoulder length hair. Even if you braid, it will still be tangled if you don't cover it. I promise the leather "condom" does the trick!!

Oh, and I also used to do the two-braid technique, that does work pretty well.

'05.5 KTM 950 ADV (Orange is faster)
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #370
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
I just put multiple ponytail holders in my hair. One at the base of my neck, another about 2" below that, another about 2" below that one, and so on.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #371
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
My hair is too short to braid, or to wear one of those leather pony tail holder thingys.

I go with two low pig-tails when hair's too short to braid. As soon as it grows a tiny bit, I use two braids.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #372
WNDRLST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Oh, how I wish I had found this thread before I set off on my first 2-week motorcycle trip, last summer! But I'm reading through it now, happily jotting down ideas on my packing list for my 2-week trip at the end of this month (just from New Mexico to Monterey, CA, all on pavement, but mostly camping).

The hair thing is my own personal bugaboo. My hair was so trashed after last summer's riding that I cut off most of it, and ended up with a short bob. Now it's long enough again to tangle during rides, and I've only found 2 things that help:

1. Two pig tails (mentioned above), or

2. Put it in a low pony tail, but don't pull the ends all the way through on your last pass. This leaves your hair in a loop at the back, just below the nape of your helmet, and while it will eventually come out and start to tangle, I just redo it during stops, when I take my helmet off for a drink or more lip balm.

When it gets long enough, I will try tucking into my neck buff, as one fellow femme rider recommended.

Cheers!
WNDRLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #373
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Pony tail?

I've found that even my shortest pony tail can fit inside the riding jacket collar.

I much rather prefer my hair inside the jacket than have to deal with the results of wind-blown knots after even a 5 min ride. And I've never felt it on my back when riding.

That's assuming that everyone wears a proper riding jacket of course. No T-shirt or tank-top riding allowed, right? We're not on Hogs anyway.

Oh... Am I allowed to comment?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #374
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,948
I know a thing or two about riding with long hair

Always use conditioner and never ever ride with the hair open. Normally I keep it inside the jacket, because it's just less hassle (though it sticks out on the bottom if the jacket is short). And if you helmet fits right (ie tight) don't have any hair-clips inside the helmet - or you get a headache.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #375
azia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Sometimes I braid my hair but I also hate the crinkling it makes afterwards and the little pieces that stick out along the braid since my hair is so fine and thin. I do this instead....tie the tail up in sections...
_
(_)
(_)
(_)
(_)
/||\

When I take out the bands, I get nice waves instead. :)
azia is offline   Reply With Quote