Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #376
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Sloppy bun with one ponytail holder, just below the helmet. I did the braid thing for a little while, but found that the sloppy bun really kept it tangle-free. Also, taking off the helmet with a braid left me with scary frizzy sidehair, whereas the bun could just be taken out and shaken out in a second, and redone in five seconds when I got back on the bike. Different strokes...
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #377
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I know a thing or two about riding with long hair

Always use conditioner and never ever ride with the hair open. Normally I keep it inside the jacket, because it's just less hassle (though it sticks out on the bottom if the jacket is short). And if you helmet fits right (ie tight) don't have any hair-clips inside the helmet - or you get a headache.

I want hair like that! Gorgeous!
But only on some days....
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #378
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by azia View Post
Sometimes I braid my hair but I also hate the crinkling it makes afterwards and the little pieces that stick out along the braid since my hair is so fine and thin. I do this instead....tie the tail up in sections...
_
(_)
(_)
(_)
(_)
/||\

When I take out the bands, I get nice waves instead. :)
that is such a cute illustration! love it!

I use this Raci Babi thing: http://www.2uptouring.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx?C=24 I bought it at the BMW rally last year and I love it. I never have any knots anymore. It is one more thing to gear up with but I think it's worth it.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #379
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
Not hair related, but wanted to give a shout out to Sans Sand for organizing a beginner level all-women off-road ride at the BMW rally next week. I'm really lucky to have a patient husband and a non-ego co-ed riding group here, but not all women have that environment to learn in.

All brands welcome if you happen to be in Sedalia, MO on 7/20 :)
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #380
Newstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
Not hair related, but wanted to give a shout out to Sans Sand for organizing a beginner level all-women off-road ride at the BMW rally next week. I'm really lucky to have a patient husband and a non-ego co-ed riding group here, but not all women have that environment to learn in.

Really looking forward to this! We have quite a few women signed up from brand new beginner to intermediate levels. Should be a great time.

Back to hair, Mine is below the shoulder. I'll put two or three bands in to a pony tail but what I found that works best is Hedz or HAD.

http://www.had-land.de/images/pdf/1_HADoriginal.pdf

I slip the whole thing over my head and then pull the end back so it leaves my hair in the center tube. No mess and no tangles.

www.gsgiants.com
Newstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #381
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post

Thanks Dawn and so true our group is great!
This is going to be a great event and we are getting such positive feedback from woman all ages who have been wanting an opportunity to wade in to off pavement. I feel very blessed by the response and by being a part of it all! Thanks to Tracy for all her help too!!! She told me to run with it. And boy did I!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #382
Newstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I need to share my title this year with Dawn and Jeanae! Can we have three Queens? I think so!

www.gsgiants.com
Newstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #383
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
Really looking forward to this! We have quite a few women signed up from brand new beginner to intermediate levels. Should be a great time.

Back to hair, Mine is below the shoulder. I'll put two or three bands in to a pony tail but what I found that works best is Hedz or HAD.

http://www.had-land.de/images/pdf/1_HADoriginal.pdf

I slip the whole thing over my head and then pull the end back so it leaves my hair in the center tube. No mess and no tangles.
I love that it has a headband option! hmmm... could be one in my future! thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #384
DualSport SoCal Girl
GIRL GONE WHEELED!!!

Oddometer: 5
Great thread!

I love this thread, because we are planning a dual sport camping trip soon. Although I have my list of travel gear down pretty well (I have also gone on horse ride week-long camping trips, where the issues are similar), it's always good to hear what others have in their go-bags.

Mine:
-Toothbrush and mini paste
-Hotel sized shampoo and conditioner
-Shower gel travel size
-Comb
-Deodorant
-Wet naps
-Advil
-Water filtration
-Camping food, trail mix, and Clif bars
-Water
-Zipka Headlamps (2)
-Wool base layers (don't hold odors and good temperature control); light weight for summer, thicker for winter
-Wool socks
-Makeup is just two short pencils-- one rosy one for lips, one brown one for brows and eyeliner
-One skort and T combo, flip flops
-Bathing suit
-Helmet liner (the kind that's open at both ends like a tube)
-Sunglasses
-Skin So Soft with sunscreen in a travel size container (works as bug repellent & lotion)
-Feminine product
-Wallet/ID
-Chapstick
-Paperback book & journal
-Sleeping bag and NeoAir sleeping pad

The above fits on even my KLX 250s fairly easily. Luckily, my BF carries our tent and mini stove and most of the water because his bike is much bigger.

The best thing I did was getting Lasik, because a few years ago contacts and saline would have been on this list.

As far as hairstyle, I'm a big fan of a single braid or two pigtail braids.

I have a story about that--- when I got my new jacket (Ventura by Rev'It), there is a detachable wind collar that velcros off. When it is off, it leaves a toothy strip of velcro across the shoulder blades. My braid kept getting caught in the velcro -OUCH- and it yanked if I turned my head sharply. DOUBLE OUCH.

I wrote to Rev'It about it, and they promptly mailed me a strip of velcro sized to go over that toothy strip. The coolest part is that the fuzzy strip also has reflective backing, so now I have a reflective strip across my shoulders and no more OUCH. I'm curious if they changed that in the next round of production (would have been easy-- just reversing which part of the velcro goes on each piece so that the fuzzy side remains when the wind collar comes off).

I really love Rev'It. They rock!! Before and after below.
DualSport SoCal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #385
SansSand
Dirty Smile

If in bear
Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #386
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Great info Just some added things
If in bear country try to dispose of any Feminine items away from camp site for the safety of others.
A friend gave me a great tip...to wear a thin panty liner for urine drips when going in the wood is the option. Also instead of charmin toilet paper go to a camp store the have the same thing but biodegradable. Wet naps can be a little irritating try travel buggies wipes. Also wicking tops and under garments can help you stay cool or warm. If they dry fast super easy to wash and dry. Small space requirements.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #387
Kissy_Liz_1977
Live Spherically

Oddometer: 13
Had a great time on my 9 day trip to from the midwest to out west and back. Lots of tips from the forum turned out to be quite handy. My hair was an issue, but thanks to several of the suggestions (I tried a few) I ended up (mostly) tangle free for the trip. Also, many thanks to those who suggested the Diva cup. It worked wonderfully! Very easy to use, not to mention comfortable. AND I didn't have to lug along a box of 'lady supplies'. Thanks gals!
Kissy_Liz_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #388
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport SoCal Girl View Post
I have a story about that--- when I got my new jacket (Ventura by Rev'It), there is a detachable wind collar that velcros off. When it is off, it leaves a toothy strip of velcro across the shoulder blades. My braid kept getting caught in the velcro -OUCH- and it yanked if I turned my head sharply. DOUBLE OUCH.

I wrote to Rev'It about it, and they promptly mailed me a strip of velcro sized to go over that toothy strip. The coolest part is that the fuzzy strip also has reflective backing, so now I have a reflective strip across my shoulders and no more OUCH. I'm curious if they changed that in the next round of production (would have been easy-- just reversing which part of the velcro goes on each piece so that the fuzzy side remains when the wind collar comes off).
That's really impressive -- yay for you for writing them to let them know, and yay for Rev'It for solving the problem! Obviously they don't have any long-haired women in their testing department.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #389
azia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissy_Liz_1977 View Post
Had a great time on my 9 day trip to from the midwest to out west and back. Lots of tips from the forum turned out to be quite handy. My hair was an issue, but thanks to several of the suggestions (I tried a few) I ended up (mostly) tangle free for the trip. Also, many thanks to those who suggested the Diva cup. It worked wonderfully! Very easy to use, not to mention comfortable. AND I didn't have to lug along a box of 'lady supplies'. Thanks gals!
I'm a little scared of this Diva cup thing...to my understanding, it doesn't actually absorb anything, just holds it like a "cup" so....how do you take it out? Cleanly, that is.
azia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #390
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
[/LIST]I'd strongly suggest you explore this option. For real. If you want, I can put you in touch with a user (since I ain't got the experience, as it were). Sooooo much easier, from what I saw.
Diva cup is awesome! Great list, I wouldn't have thought of all these things until too late. :)

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote