Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #31
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
AK2theWorld I would ride with you any day!!

Tell NUT

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #32
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Sounds like you already have a nice trip planned out! Awesome!
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #33
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadopoulos
Are there any women out there who like to ride/explore the back country without riding with men?

I am only a year into riding; ride a 650dual sport since I prefer off road to on road; so I am unsure what to expect.

I spent the better part of this riding season waiting for my husband to ride with me, only to discover that he is not fond of back country; since I don't want to ride with other men, am I naive to think I could ride off road with females only?

PM if you prefer.
I think it would be a good idea! I'm not saying that I do not like riding with men because I had a lot of fun. I would also like to be able to have a women only ride too!

We need to get some bad ass ride reports in.........
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #34
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Oddometer: 2,059
Another DS gal

I ride a 640 Dual sport (KTM 640 Adventure) and I will ride with anyone who is free the same days I am!!!

Rest easy, Dagwood ..You were My flawed yet perfect soul mate.
and... Mike, Amanda and Ben.
You are loved and missed.
KTM 640 Adventure
twisty sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #35
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,036
Some resources for travel clothing

Here are some resources for travel clothing:

Title 9 has a nice selection of knit tops, pants, and dresses that pack small and don't have to be ironed. They also have several skorts, and a big variety of sports bras:

http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?it...Type=HOME_PAGE

Terry Bicycling also has skorts. I have found that the Terry clothing runs small, though, so keep that in mind:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/

Finally, I can't travel on the bike without my Buff! When it's cold, I wear it around my neck to keep my neck warm and prevent cold air from going inside my jacket. When it's hot, I wet the Buff with water, then wear it around my neck to provide cooling.

http://www.buffwear.com/

The "Polar Buffs" have an extra section of warm fleece for those really cold conditions!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #36
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #37
letsxplor
UpAL Explorer

Oddometer: 12
OK, this is all an input to the packing list!

I'm going on my first bike camping trip weekend after next, baby wipes are at the top of the list!

Thanks, VR, for the thread.

Lori
letsxplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #38
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsxplor
OK, this is all an input to the packing list!

I'm going on my first bike camping trip weekend after next, baby wipes are at the top of the list!

Thanks, VR, for the thread.

Lori
Welcome to the site, Lori!

Where are ya headed on your trip?

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #39
TrvlGrl
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My sweetie and I spent six months on the road last winter, Seattle to the Darien Gap and back. I've done some long trips before, alone, with a group, and with a partner, so I'll throw in my two cents, too.

I never wear skirts at home, but with international travel, I have always carried one, trying to be sensitive to local cultural issues. I have finally found a good travel skirt for me, and I find I wear it all the time on the road, especially in hot climates, as it is much more comfortable that pants. wintersilks.com Broomstick skirt. It's supposed to be wrinkled and it packs really small. I have a black one. We also use it as an all purpose cloth -- usually for covering gaps in the window shades, creating shade on a beach, or whatever. The only downside with wearing the skirt is the lack of pockets, but I usually have a "neck wallet" that has a long cord. I loop that over my shoulder under my clothes, and it rides on my hip under the skirt. When I need to access it, I can discretely pull it out, as the skirt has an elastic waste band. The skirt is long and my "fancy" shoes are the sandals I carry as my only alternative to my riding boots.

The skirt also helps with one of the major cultural issues. There are very few countries where adult local women wear shorts in public. (I have found that this is true for men as well.) Many places have accepted that tourists do this, but I try to pay attention to the standards of the local people. The long skirt is comfortable and cool and fits standards anywhere.

I'm all about wash and wear. I do carry three pairs of undies, in case I can't wash them every day. Even when we camp, I put on clean undies and tuck yesterdays in a pocket. The first time we find plumbing (cafe/gas, etc), I pull them out and wash.

In Central America, we mostly stayed in cheap guesthouses and such, rather than camping, so laundry was easy. Almost every store will sell small (200 to 500 gram) packages of laundry detergent. Wash in the sink, hang to dry. All my clothing is lightweight, quick-dry stuff, so that helps. Note, though, when you are in the jungle, stuff doesn't dry well and can get mildewy quickly. Use a little extra detergent, or buy a mini-bottle of bleach if it gets bad, and the mildew will go away. Getting things dry is another matter, especially if you can't find a spot of direct sunlight.

As for menstuation, I'm finicky about products. Pads are available everywhere, and tampons only some places, but I carried six months of my favorites. Luckily for me, I like ob brand, and they are very small, so that was no big deal.

Shampoo, toothpaste, deodorent, toilet paper, etc. is available everywhere, if not in "travel size" often is smaller sizes than is available here.

I used sunscreen as my all purpose moisturizer. If you run out of that, just hit a touristed beach town and stock up again.

I wear contact lenses, so I was a little concerned about saline solution. I could find my brand fairly often in Mexico, and in the more touristed parts of Central America. I just made sure I had plenty, carrying an extra three weeks or so.

I love the baby wipes, but didn't find those in small quantities. I carry several bandanas, so I could relegate one to washing duty and then just launder it with other stuff.

Shaving goes right out the window! I carried a razor and occasionally took advantage of a "fancy" hotel to deal with that, but I've got hairy legs and can't pretend otherwise so I just let it go. (see above about wearing shorts in public)

I actually don't think security issues are more of a concern for women, but women tend to pay more attention to security, so it may feel that way. That being said, I did appreciate not travelling alone on this trip. That allowed me freedom to explore some places I wouldn't have gone to alone. However, by travelling with my husband, I also met far fewer people than I would have, had I been alone. (and I don't mean guys trying to hit on me)

On long trips on foreign lands, it's tempting to carry as many "comforts of home" as you can. However, sooner or later, they will run out and you will have to figure out what locally available products will do. If you make it sooner rather than later, you can cut down on your luggage. Figure out your "can't live without" -- for me, that's only tampons and saline. And the saline, I could find as we went.

Travelling on a DRZ400, I don't have a lot of space, so it was easier for me to jettison lots of stuff. Less weight makes the riding more fun.

Have a great trip!
TrvlGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #40
pu_boiler
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm new to adventure riding but I can offer some advice from my experience with endurance/epic mountain biking, rock climbing, camping etc.

That time of the month:
Have a chat with your Gyno. Most birth control can be taken continuously and not cause any harm. Some non pill options are Nuva Ring & a variety of IUDs. I use an IUD and it is wonderful. I don't have to worry about remembering if I took that damn little pill.

Chafing:
Udderly Smooth & Bag Balm both are available in drug stores in the lotion section. (yes they were originally made for cow udders)
Body Glide, I learned of this product from adventure racer (bike, run, paddle) they use it for protection for all sorts of chaffing

Deodorant:
Secret soft solid, Degree and Mitchum, all 3 are capable of getting most women through 2 days

Contacts:
Talk to your doc about 1 day disposables

Clothing:
Men's boxer briefs, mid thigh length, I learned about these while skiing, snowmobiling
Go synthetic, they wick moisture away and dry quickly, my preference is the Patagonia brand

Baby wipes are great for multiple uses

Go to your nearest REI (rei.com) and look around. Ask questions about the products. You'll want products that adventure racers and mountaineers use.
pu_boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #41
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlGrl
My sweetie and I spent six months on the road last winter, Seattle to the Darien Gap and back. I've done some long trips before, alone, with a group, and with a partner, so I'll throw in my two cents, too.

I never wear skirts at home, but with international travel, I have always carried one, trying to be sensitive to local cultural issues. I have finally found a good travel skirt for me, and I find I wear it all the time on the road, especially in hot climates, as it is much more comfortable that pants. wintersilks.com Broomstick skirt. It's supposed to be wrinkled and it packs really small. I have a black one. We also use it as an all purpose cloth -- usually for covering gaps in the window shades, creating shade on a beach, or whatever. The only downside with wearing the skirt is the lack of pockets, but I usually have a "neck wallet" that has a long cord. I loop that over my shoulder under my clothes, and it rides on my hip under the skirt. When I need to access it, I can discretely pull it out, as the skirt has an elastic waste band. The skirt is long and my "fancy" shoes are the sandals I carry as my only alternative to my riding boots.

The skirt also helps with one of the major cultural issues. There are very few countries where adult local women wear shorts in public. (I have found that this is true for men as well.) Many places have accepted that tourists do this, but I try to pay attention to the standards of the local people. The long skirt is comfortable and cool and fits standards anywhere.

I'm all about wash and wear. I do carry three pairs of undies, in case I can't wash them every day. Even when we camp, I put on clean undies and tuck yesterdays in a pocket. The first time we find plumbing (cafe/gas, etc), I pull them out and wash.

In Central America, we mostly stayed in cheap guesthouses and such, rather than camping, so laundry was easy. Almost every store will sell small (200 to 500 gram) packages of laundry detergent. Wash in the sink, hang to dry. All my clothing is lightweight, quick-dry stuff, so that helps. Note, though, when you are in the jungle, stuff doesn't dry well and can get mildewy quickly. Use a little extra detergent, or buy a mini-bottle of bleach if it gets bad, and the mildew will go away. Getting things dry is another matter, especially if you can't find a spot of direct sunlight.

As for menstuation, I'm finicky about products. Pads are available everywhere, and tampons only some places, but I carried six months of my favorites. Luckily for me, I like ob brand, and they are very small, so that was no big deal.

Shampoo, toothpaste, deodorent, toilet paper, etc. is available everywhere, if not in "travel size" often is smaller sizes than is available here.

I used sunscreen as my all purpose moisturizer. If you run out of that, just hit a touristed beach town and stock up again.

I wear contact lenses, so I was a little concerned about saline solution. I could find my brand fairly often in Mexico, and in the more touristed parts of Central America. I just made sure I had plenty, carrying an extra three weeks or so.

I love the baby wipes, but didn't find those in small quantities. I carry several bandanas, so I could relegate one to washing duty and then just launder it with other stuff.

Shaving goes right out the window! I carried a razor and occasionally took advantage of a "fancy" hotel to deal with that, but I've got hairy legs and can't pretend otherwise so I just let it go. (see above about wearing shorts in public)

I actually don't think security issues are more of a concern for women, but women tend to pay more attention to security, so it may feel that way. That being said, I did appreciate not travelling alone on this trip. That allowed me freedom to explore some places I wouldn't have gone to alone. However, by travelling with my husband, I also met far fewer people than I would have, had I been alone. (and I don't mean guys trying to hit on me)

On long trips on foreign lands, it's tempting to carry as many "comforts of home" as you can. However, sooner or later, they will run out and you will have to figure out what locally available products will do. If you make it sooner rather than later, you can cut down on your luggage. Figure out your "can't live without" -- for me, that's only tampons and saline. And the saline, I could find as we went.

Travelling on a DRZ400, I don't have a lot of space, so it was easier for me to jettison lots of stuff. Less weight makes the riding more fun.

Have a great trip!
Thanks for your input, TrvlGrl

Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #42
SgtMarty
Retired, baby!

Oddometer: 1,620
Just jumping into you gals' chatroom here with this link from Horizons Unlimited. Much of the same discussion.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...avellers-26456

COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

SgtMarty screwed with this post 10-11-2007 at 12:22 AM
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #43
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 253
Just wanted to thank to all of the ladies who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experiences here for the benefit of others. VERY helpful thread for extended-moto-travel newbies
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #44
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Bump for the new ladies.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #45
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
Did you cross link this to "any women riders?" thread?
Do the wimmins not read this forum?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote