Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #496
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,231
Braid and a baseball cap for those reeeeeally bad days....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #497
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
The problem with long hair is that even if you tie it up in a bun, it still will cause rain water to wick down your back. I am ready to cut it all off and dye it platinum for my trip this summer. When I was growing up, I used to have it short all the time as a swimmer... and it is way easier to camp with.

I go to REI for all of my camping equipment. I have been a member for a long time. Every time you buy something you will get cash back in dividends at the end of the year. That can add up to almost 200 bucks some years! They also have REI brand equipment, which is generally 60-80% of brand name stuff.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #498
NZLADY650
beamerbarb

Oddometer: 27
Does anyone know of any off road riding courses in the Mid West. I live in North West Arkansas. Want to improve my skills on gravel and other surfaces.
NZLADY650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #499
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
I go to REI for all of my camping equipment. I have been a member for a long time. Every time you buy something you will get cash back in dividends at the end of the year. That can add up to almost 200 bucks some years! They also have REI brand equipment, which is generally 60-80% of brand name stuff.

And if for any reason .. You try something of theirs (REI) and YOU don't like it .. Full return NO Q asked.. Ya got to love that ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #500
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
And if for any reason .. You try something of theirs (REI) and YOU don't like it .. Full return NO Q asked.. Ya got to love that ...
And if you're a member you can go to their "garage sales". I got my -5 degree sleeping bag and cookware I took on my Alaska trip at one. Less than $90 for the bag and about $10 for an awesome cooking set. Love it

About long hair and rain--I braid mine and then put a neck gaiter on OVER it. Jacket on over that, and six weeks of riding in the rain later, I never had water down my back. Turtle Fur fleece neck gaiter or SmartWool ones (both found at REI) work great.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #501
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post

About long hair and rain--I braid mine and then put a neck gaiter on OVER it. Jacket on over that, and six weeks of riding in the rain later, I never had water down my back. Turtle Fur fleece neck gaiter or SmartWool ones (both found at REI) work great.
that's how I do it too... normally I just use a buff, or a fleece one in the winter. water wicking down has never been an issue
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #502
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,049
I will never go back to having long hair again. I love my pixie cut. So much easier to care for when camping, or when I'm in a helmet all day.

I am itching to ride. There's enough snow/ice that it's not possible, but not enough snow in the mid-Rockies to feel like a real winter. I'm going to do a sprocket/chain change in the back of the toy hauler. I may not be able to ride my WR, but I can at least gaze lovingly upon it.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #503
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
Hi Gitana
I see that you have a WR. I lost my XT225 in a house fire in Oct and my husband wants me to get a WR. I am only 5'3" and feel it will be to tall for me. What do you think of the WR and do you like it?
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #504
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
I will never go back to having long hair again. I love my pixie cut. So much easier to care for when camping, or when I'm in a helmet all day.

I am itching to ride. There's enough snow/ice that it's not possible, but not enough snow in the mid-Rockies to feel like a real winter. I'm going to do a sprocket/chain change in the back of the toy hauler. I may not be able to ride my WR, but I can at least gaze lovingly upon it.
We were going to go to Utah this weekend until we saw that the dry, still inversion will cause it to only get to 19 degrees for a high... I think we might go tear around near Pawnee on Sunday instead. You are welcome to join us. We have to trailer the big bikes out of the neighborhood as our dirt roads are ice roads right now but the other roads are clear!

As for hair - I wear mine long because it is easy and I can cut it myself, ha. My hair doesn't hold a braid well and ends up tangled close to my head so I just wear a regular pony tail and use hair detangler. It's been easy and I haven't had any issues. On cold or wet days I wear a neck gaiter, as others have mentioned - when cold it is tucked under the jacket, when a little wet I pull it over the collar of the jacket. When it's REALLY raining and I"m on the big bike I wear a hooded Marmot rain jacket over my gear and put the hood on under my helmet. Keeps me dry. On the dirt bike I sweat so badly I don't notice any additional wet coming from my hair.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #505
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post

I don't mean to be mean to the OP or just to be negative, but I read the original post and the first thing I thought was... OH LORD!!!

It was good for a laugh, though.
Glad you got a laugh - and posted. That's what was intended when I started this thread. As mentioned previously, everyone has different comfort and skill levels, so really it's just great to have everyone's opinions.

I haven't posted in a long time, but it sure is nice to see this still going. Keep on, keeping on! Happy riding, ladies!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #506
Gitana
A work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergirl4ever View Post
Hi Gitana
I see that you have a WR. I lost my XT225 in a house fire in Oct and my husband wants me to get a WR. I am only 5'3" and feel it will be to tall for me. What do you think of the WR and do you like it?
Stock, the WR is a tall bike, although not as tall as a KTM. Stock seat height is 36.6". And I'm 5'9" with a 32.5" inseam. That said, a friend of mine (Bonnie Abzug on here) is about 5' tall and has a WR. She had to do some suspension work to it, but loves it. You can install a Yamalink, do the factory lowering and get it to be comfortable for you. It's a very reliable bike, fun to ride, pretty light weight and easy to work on. I'm sorry about your XT. That must have been very hard to lose your house.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #507
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Stock, the WR is a tall bike, although not as tall as a KTM. Stock seat height is 36.6". And I'm 5'9" with a 32.5" inseam. That said, a friend of mine (Bonnie Abzug on here) is about 5' tall and has a WR. She had to do some suspension work to it, but loves it. You can install a Yamalink, do the factory lowering and get it to be comfortable for you. It's a very reliable bike, fun to ride, pretty light weight and easy to work on. I'm sorry about your XT. That must have been very hard to lose your house.
Thank you. Problem solved. I just bought a XT225 last night and am going to go look at a WR250F this weekend. Hopefully we can get it lowered enough for me. My husband had a WR250F that we lost in the fire, he replaced it with a WR450F.
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #508
Gitana
A work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
I think we might go tear around near Pawnee on Sunday instead. You are welcome to join us.
Wish I could. My bikes are up at J's house, and I'm still recovering from my rotator cuff repair. We're going to the San Rafael Swell in early April, or possibly Death Valley if it's still too cold. That will be my first time back on the bike. I cannot wait.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #509
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Wink

Pics pics !! I want to see :)

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #510
Gitana
A work in progress