Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #526
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,801
I very much prefer the nature instead of dealing with questionable restrooms or odd devices. Luckily we have plenty of ditches and trees around here so "privacy" is not really a problem (and if the guys see my head/helmet poking out so what?).

If you are in a less wooded area and you can't find a rock just take your jacket and hang it from the bike and voila you have your privacy screen (watch out for exhaust so you don't burn a hole in your jacket) - trust me the guys are way less offended then you think.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #527
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 167
My 2cents--I didn't buy one before leaving to ride 7 weeks to/from Alaska, and came back wishing I had purchased one. Before doing another big ride like that, I will buy one. You can take her to REI and look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #528
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,408
+1 with Cuttle...
When I ride with the guys we all have a nature call break at once..
They respect ya .. I do agree.. At least I haven't had an issue..

And I too think the great outdoors are way cleaner then any public restroom...

Plus I really don't see a real big problem having loins exposed...
I think trying to dry off with a LadyJ the other kinds.. Could be harder to get done...
Just a thought....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm

LadyDraco screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 12:18 PM
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #529
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,801
btw - for you gals on fb: motomonkey just wrote something about it the other day... but no results are posted
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #530
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I very much prefer the nature instead of dealing with questionable restrooms or odd devices. Luckily we have plenty of ditches and trees around here so "privacy" is not really a problem (and if the guys see my head/helmet poking out so what?).

If you are in a less wooded area and you can't find a rock just take your jacket and hang it from the bike and voila you have your privacy screen (watch out for exhaust so you don't burn a hole in your jacket) - trust me the guys are way less offended then you think.
+1 prefer the outdoors to nearly any restroom any day!
Thank gawd the PNW is full of WOODS!

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #531
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 167
I much prefer the outdoors, and have no problem dropping trou in the wilderness. I'm not particularly private either--I figure you've either got it or you've seen it!

My issue was some of the really cold, terrible weather days we rode. I wound up with every layer on that I could, and though I stayed warm and dry, it was a HUGE pain to deal with all those layers just to pee. Those are the times I would have liked it. I wouldn't have bothered with it at any other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #532
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

I just wear Thermal leggings and my Gerbings outer pants in the winter..
So it's NOT a real big deal..

Gerbings the best investment you'll ever add to your bike for winter riding...
And late fall and early spring...

And so toasty warm...

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #533
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,353
I agree electric jacket liners, etc. is the way to go for cool/cold weather riding. There is some good stuff out there. I prefer the warm and safe electric jacket liner as it fits me better than gerbings. I've used both as well as Widder which is no longer.

Now about urinating out in the wilds: There are a number of different items. Amazon has a selection: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=female+urnial To the guy that is asking for his lady - - - - show her the computer and how to use it so she can do her own research. At the very least open the Amazon page and let her read the reviews of the different models.

While there are a lot of trees in the PNW there's also a lot of desert and I'm pretty danged private when it comes to potty time. I have never thought of it as a spectator sport. Yes, the guys are good about giving the gals their privacy but I'm still shy.

The idea of placing a pee covered funnel thing in a bag and in with my gear is distasteful to me but it can be wiped out with tissue and put the tissue in a seperate ziplock. Not perfect but it will work. I don't like leaving tissue out in the forest or in the desert so I put my used tissue in a ziplock anyway to be disposed when I get somewhere there is a trash can.

I wasn't fond of the idea of this entire process until a friend told me about how her's was much welcomed by her when she injured her leg on a long multiday ride and wasn't able to squat. She said it was so great to be able to stand up and pee. That reminded me of breaking my knee cap while out dirt riding and how I couldn't squat and how I never wanted to go through that again. I realized getting one of those plastic things might just make a difference at some point. After all these years I ordered one and will learn how to use it.

No I will never stand shoulder to shoulder with the boys and pee off a cliff and from what I understand I still won't be able to write my name in the snow so that's out but it might be convenient.

I've never wanted to be one of the boys but there are somethings they do have an advantage with.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #534
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Ladybug, you crack me up!

I am with you ... I like the privacy. I used to teach outdoor education and camping with very little amenities and I taught all the kids the good ole carry a trowel, dig a hole, hang onto the tree, and that's where ou do your business. We carried biodegradable toilet paper and everything went into the hole and buried whether it was #1 or #2 unless you were a guy and could stand to pee. We were out for days with no showers so constant hygiene was super important. Motorcycle riding means riding with mostly guys so I always make them wait for me to find my privacy. I never thought about the idea of possibly being injured and needing t stand to pee! Now I might need to invest in one of these things and throw it in my kit.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #535
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Female urinals on Amazon...

Maybe if I were on the Space Shuttle.

I like to keep it simple.

That said, I would consider a Shewee if I were backpacking in Morocco again... the toilets in African countries outside of European hotels are completely foul... plus with all the HIV and Hepatitis it could be a health issue.

I rather enjoy relieving myself in nature... back in college we called it "communing with nature". Some things are sacred about camping and this I consider one of them!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #536
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I agree electric jacket liners, etc. is the way to go for cool/cold weather riding. There is some good stuff out there. I prefer the warm and safe electric jacket liner as it fits me better than gerbings.
Ladybug...how tall are you? I'm short, and short waisted (my ribs are super close to the tops of my hips, dammit.) and haven't found much gear that fits really well. I have some I like and wear and consider comfy, but I look like michelin man. I want to invest in heated gear, but not without hearing from others. I'm 5'3" and fluffy!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #537
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
I want to invest in heated gear, but not without hearing from others. I'm 5'3" and fluffy!
I'm not LadyBug....

Well you are taller then I am...

But I have been wearing heated gear for 12 yrs...
My gerbings jacket liners are 42/30...But they don't size them that way any more....

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #538
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Ladybug...how tall are you? I'm short, and short waisted (my ribs are super close to the tops of my hips, dammit.) and haven't found much gear that fits really well. I have some I like and wear and consider comfy, but I look like michelin man. I want to invest in heated gear, but not without hearing from others. I'm 5'3" and fluffy!
I'm 5'0" and fluffy with that short waist thing going on as well. The Warm and Safe heated jacket liner fits me better than the other brands. The women's liner seems to actually be sized for women with hips. Other brands were to tight through my hips and too big through my shoulders - The warm and safe also has a stretch panel down the side which means it fits snug without binding. If you can find somewhere to try one on that's the best way to go but if you have to order and hope for the best their customer service is very good so that helps. Here's there website: http://www.warmnsafe.com/all-heated-jacket-liners/

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #539
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

I'm long waisted and short legged..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #540
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I'm 5'0" and fluffy with that short waist thing going on as well. The Warm and Safe heated jacket liner fits me better than the other brands. The women's liner seems to actually be sized for women with hips. Other brands were to tight through my hips and too big through my shoulders - The warm and safe also has a stretch panel down the side which means it fits snug without binding. If you can find somewhere to try one on that's the best way to go but if you have to order and hope for the best their customer service is very good so that helps. Here's there website: http://www.warmnsafe.com/all-heated-jacket-liners/

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
Thanks! I'll give their site a look-see!

And LadyDraco - on top of all that, you haz killer smile!!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote