User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #1
mgdavis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Recovering from gasoline flooded oil sump

Silly me, I am used to riding my fuel injected bike, so I tend to forget to turn off the petcock on my DR350.Consequently, on a recent trip through the garage I discovered a growing pool of gasoline under the DR.
The fuel flooded the carb, airbox, exhaust, and sump. I have drained the airbox and cleaned and oiled the filter; rebuilt the carb, which needed to be done anyway; replaced the spark plug; and drained the sump (messy, gas flows faster than oil). Aside from the fresh oil and filter, should I worry about any other service items? I am tempted to do another oil change in 50 miles or so, just to make sure I am not diluting the oil with residual fuel.
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM   #2
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Sounds like you got it covered. the 2nd oil change is a good idea.

BTW what is your petcock set up? Street or dirt bike?

I often leave the gas on my bike with no issue. I do have a good float needle and seat though.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
A/ learn to turn the petcock off(somewhat "kinda"insurance it won't happen again) after you fix the issue.
B/ clean or rebuild the carb. Your main issue isn't the tap being open(though not a grand plan) your issue is that the float needle/seat in the carb isn't closing completely(worn or dirty). On a gravity feed carbed motor even if the tap is broken or left open you won't get fuel in the crankcase if the carb float needle/seat system is clean and not worn out.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #4
mgdavis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Street DR, but a manual petcock installed in the Safari tank. Safari tank = lots of fuel to fill the engine. I installed a fresh float valve with the rebuild, hopefully that prevents recurrence of the issue.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #5
rustycager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
When that happened to me I did 2 flushes and put in a new filter on the 3rd. I use rotella that I stock up on when on sale so wasted $12 in oil. Normally change every 1000 miles and filter every other.

I replaced the float valve,seat and the o-ring on the seat.
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Maybe a shot or two of oil to wet the rings since all the gas washed past them. The rest of the engine should still have plenty of oil residue that I wouldn't be worried about.

Run the engine hard, get it hot. That will drive off the light ends (gasoline) that draining the crankcase can't do.

I wouldn't even change the spark plug unless it was needing it anyway.

The oil engine flush was to put a quart of kerosene/diesel/gas into the crankcase just before an oil change anyway. It's not like you accidentally poured a gallon of muratic acid down the engine, that would be real bad. You didn't even fill the engine with muddy creek water which happens all the time. Of all the things you could accidentally overfill an engine with gasoline is about the second best choice I can think of (filling plumb full of clean motor oil would be the best thing I could think of filling an engine with).

Don't sweat it. It will live just fine.
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,796
I wouldn't bother with the 2nd oil change. any remaining fuel in the case will evaporate & be gone the first ride. in the old days, aircraft and some military engines had oil dilution valves for cold weather operation. fuel was intentionally mixed with the oil at shutdown to make the oil thinner for easier starts the next day. just run it normal.
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #8
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
What Beezer said.

I did the exact same thing with my DR350, which also had a safari tank, and it was fine after a single oil change and an air filter cleaning. I learned right quick to turn the petcocks off!
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #9
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
What is this safari tank you speak of.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #10
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Be happy you caught it when you did. I had a carb problem in an old British sports car and the gas diluted the bearing oil and burned them before I caught it. (The car ran like shit, but I didn't know any better when I was 16.) I agree it is a good idea to change the oil again after a short run. You should have a an uber clean engine then.

windypoint screwed with this post Today at 01:15 PM
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote