User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Motocicletta OP
ridetowork

Oddometer: 567
For the German Car & Bosch Gurus

So wife complains that the wiper blades are bad on the '92 318is. I am cheap and I buy only the rubber refills from Pelican Parts, not the kits with the arms included from the auto parts store, besides I like the arms to say Bosch not Kragen.

On the driver side there is the winglet that allows us autobahn drivers to maintain visibility during a rainstorm in the black forest.

After removing the wiper arm I do not remember if the wiglet should be above or below the wiper arm, I think that for maximum aerodynamic performance and maximum down pressure it should be below the arm.

The other fine German car, with the same OEM Bosch wiper blades where I also replaced just the rubber refills has the driver's side winglet above the arm, this will likely cause less down force.

What is the right winglet position? I'd say below.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 143
Based on my 08 Mini with a winglet on the drivers side blade, the winglet should be above the arm.
Have you actually found replacement inserts for the Bosch blades? If so, where did you get them? I just went thru a long, fruitless attempt to find replacement Bosch inserts. (I use Bosch blades on all of my vehicles. They're the best IMHO.) Even went to the local BMW store parts department, where an old friend and parts guy told me that Bosch stopped making them several years ago. They were one of his favorite parts to sell and sold tons of them to many appreciative owners. I'm not sure if even the Mini dealers sell replacement blades with the winglets, but I'm about to check.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Motocicletta OP
ridetowork

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
Based on my 08 Mini with a winglet on the drivers side blade, the winglet should be above the arm.
Have you actually found replacement inserts for the Bosch blades? If so, where did you get them? I just went thru a long, fruitless attempt to find replacement Bosch inserts. (I use Bosch blades on all of my vehicles. They're the best IMHO.) Even went to the local BMW store parts department, where an old friend and parts guy told me that Bosch stopped making them several years ago. They were one of his favorite parts to sell and sold tons of them to many appreciative owners. I'm not sure if even the Mini dealers sell replacement blades with the winglets, but I'm about to check.
I do not want to replace the two arms every time the'rubbers blades wear, the auto parts store wants you to buy trendy plastic arms for $ 20 or $ 30. Pelican Parts can sell you the rubber refills that fit the stock Bosch arms, they come with stainless splines and have to be cut to length along stamped incisions, they cost about $ 6.

Both of my cars are old '92 318is & '00 Box, I do not want day glow new plastic arms on them from Kragen.

Winglet up or down from arm? I'd say down for good down pressure.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,264
I don't know about your specific winglets, but the spoiler-equipped blades I use put the spoiler behind the blade, relative to airflow (meaning they're above the wiper element, relative to the ground). Otherwise it'd scoop the air under itself and lift the blade from the windshield.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote