User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
focallength OP
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
Carrying water, for remote trips on a smaller bike

Ok, how do you carry enough water for trips when you may not have access to water for a day or two? Maybe water is scarce (desert) or undrinkable.

I have a camel back thats good for 2 liters, but the problem is carrying enough water for cooking, drinking. For say 2-3 days. Any options/set ups that dont involve carrying 30 pounds of water in a jug.

A fitration system is good if wateris available, but what if its not?

Really theonly option i can see is carrying a 1,2, or 3 gallon water container. And finding a place to strap it down.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 1,121
Rotopax.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...FcpQ7AodInwANg

Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I'm using this. Not only nice for extra water, but also very comfortable!
And cheap...
http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzoSteel View Post

^^^that
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Wine or coffee box bladders.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I carry multiple hydration bags (like MSR Dromedary or their generic equivalents etc.) totalling different amounts, for different length trips.

A little bit more fuss, but it allows me to stash them in spots otherwise unfriendly to placement of a larger hard-shelled container due to space or shape contraints. Plus they are much lighter, being fabric versus plastic.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
I carry three liters in a camelback, 6 liters in a dromedary, plus another liter in a Nalgene bottle. This is good for one person for a full day in mild weather. For two people, this is only good for one night. Cooking uses up a lot more water than you'd expect.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Canuk
OntRider

Oddometer: 123
Platypus GravityWorks 4.0L Filter System - This pump-free system is gravity fed and offers a high-flow capacity. Fill the unfiltered water reservoir, raise, and hang it. You'll have 4L of clean water in under 3 minutes.

Obviously not much use in the desert, but great if you can find any water and it weighs next to nothing. I've used it kayak camping and will take it on my bike as well.
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #9
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
My gobi side bags have a cavity to hold water. Havent done it but its there. Maybe a good excuse for new luggage.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
I allways use a lot of normal plastic bottles to carry water. Those bottles you get for free everywere and can easy get rid of if you dont neet them anymore. If you carry them in the sunlight the UV will even destroy bacteria. Otherwise i use clor tablets if i cant get better water: http://adventure-travel-experience.d...=en_westkueste
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I use a 6 liter Dromedary bag as well as my 3L Camelbak and find it's ample for one night, and could last 2 in a pinch. The Dromedary bags are tough, small when empty, and can be strapped on to a saddle bag or rack when full.
Before I had the Dromedary, I would just buy a 1 gallon jug and find a way to carry it to the campsite, but they are harder to secure to the bike, and it's sometimes difficult to find them with a resealable cap.
Once I got pulled over because the gallon jug had shifted and totally blocked my taillight! But the State Patrol trooper was nice and didn't even ticket me.

I'm way better at packing now
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
HoboMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm a big fan of keeping things simple. The water bladder systems seem really nice and I almost went for the msr droms, but a buddy convinced me otherwise.

I just throw 1.5 liter bottled water in my wolfman saddle bags. Not sure if you have this setup avaliable to you since you said lightweight bike, but for me on my DR650 it works great.

By putting the bottles in the bottom of the bags it keeps the weight low and I distribute the water evenly in the two bags.

If you are going through the hot desert, 3 bottles in each bag and 3L in my camelback equals 12L total or approx 3 gallons.

The bottles are nice because you can crush them when you are done for space, they cost no extra money and you can spread your water around. If you only have one big water vessel and it breaks you might be out of luck.

Also, I found a neat trick with the wolfman expeditions. If your bags are totally full you can still strap down a 1.5 liter bottle to the top of each bag by sticking them under the built in top straps. It helps to take a swig out of each bottle first so they can crush slightly by the straps to prevent sliding. Sorry no picture, hope that made sense.
HoboMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,553
2L Camelback plus a 10L Dromedary bag. Dromedary bag is not always full, but I camp a lot of desert so capacity is there when needed. Water filter as well.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
I carry a 1 gallon Arizona Tea bottle because they're very tough and I like the tea. When more water is needed I carry the plastic bag out of a 5 liter box of wine. Pretty tough too as long as it doesn't rub against anything sharp.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
zeroselect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I usually carry a 3 liter platypus hydration bag and a 1 liter Nalgen bottle. If I ever needed more I would use 2 liter soda bottle. They are pretty indestructible when full.

Edit: I would rather have multiple storage containers then a large single just in case you spring a leak.
zeroselect is offline   Reply With Quote