Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #31
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Cool. OK, how long should the journey take? What if we try limit the trip to a maximum of 12 months. That gives about 6-7 weeks per continent roughly. I can start the trip in mid jan 2008. I'm planning a 9 day trip leaving melbourne, crossing to tassie via the 'spirit of tassie' ship, doing a lap of Tassie and then back home. I'd then need someone to run a trip from melbourne heading to with Sydney of Adeleaide around early Feb.

Then again, If someone else wishes to start the trip earlier, im happy to for go the starting rights as long as im still part of it. I.e. if someone wants to make sure the mascot is in melbourne mid jan, then I can take it from there..

In true Advrider spirit, being part of it is all I need.
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #32
Komito
back in the saddle

Oddometer: 782
Timing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish
Cool. OK, how long should the journey take? What if we try limit the trip to a maximum of 12 months. That gives about 6-7 weeks per continent roughly. I can start the trip in mid jan 2008. I'm planning a 9 day trip leaving melbourne, crossing to tassie via the 'spirit of tassie' ship, doing a lap of Tassie and then back home. I'd then need someone to run a trip from melbourne heading to with Sydney of Adeleaide around early Feb.

Then again, If someone else wishes to start the trip earlier, im happy to for go the starting rights as long as im still part of it. I.e. if someone wants to make sure the mascot is in melbourne mid jan, then I can take it from there..

In true Advrider spirit, being part of it is all I need.
Yes, a year sounds good: January 2008 to January 2009, we'll start with you in Australia and then we should decide if we go clockwise or counter. Whats the cheapest post from Australia? That may be the answer.

If we can find someone to ride in Ant even for a few days, that would be cool!

We have several takers on the US side, so we need to get a European/Asian/African /S. American contigent going. Let's divide it and post in the regional forums. Shall we put a vote for this rides mascot in Jo mamma for more coverage???
Komito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep, I'll post a 'vote' in Jo Mamma and see what we get back

Once we have a mascot chosen, I'm happy to actually buy it / souce it. Then we need a volunteer from each continent to help organsie things. I'll do Australia..In about 1-2 weeks, we'll put a post in the regional forums for interest.

Cheers.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #34
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
I'm in if it gets to Alberta Canada We did this on an Intruder forum and many members got the chance to meet each other. Cool idea

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #35
Komito
back in the saddle

Link in Jo Mamma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish
Yep, I'll post a 'vote' in Jo Mamma and see what we get back

Once we have a mascot chosen, I'm happy to actually buy it / souce it. Then we need a volunteer from each continent to help organsie things. I'll do Australia..In about 1-2 weeks, we'll put a post in the regional forums for interest.

Cheers.
GazzaFish, once you post in JM, if you haven't already, post a link here, so people who come across this can cross reference it.... I haven't seen it, but also I CAN't read!! This is gonna be fun!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #36
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Gazza, great idea.
How about a wombat?
Would it need to be posted from continent to continent, or could someone actually carry it? If we have enough lead time, it could travel personally, even if its only on a business trip. That way the handover process would be continuous and, ahem, personal.
We could start a "sticky" trip report where peeps could post pics of the mascot in spots around the world.
Imagine the quarantine the furrry little f***er would be subject to on returning to Oz

Dakar Dan screwed with this post 09-19-2007 at 05:38 PM
Dakar Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #37
dangerz
es veee

Oddometer: 35
Awesome, I really hope this kicks off. Everyone should make sure to take some pictures and maybe even some video with the mascot at spots that represent your area. At the end of the yearlong journey, we can make a really cool video of the mascot travelling the world :)

If you can get the mascot to me here, I can kick off the United States run. In fact, I could probably ride it from Texas towards Helix Blue in Georgia since that seems to be a good distance. I'll stop off at the Mississippi River and other misc spots (feel free to suggest any) along the way. I'd be leaving from Benbrook, TX.

If we do it around a time when I can pull off a 4-day weekend (Thanksgiving time period), I can stop in New Orleans as well. It adds a couple hundred miles extra so I'd need an extra day.
dangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Excellent. This will definately fly. I'll start it off in january with my 9 day trip around tasmania, then hand it over to someone in Melbourne to continue the journey. The link in Jo mamma is here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265066

WOW. A video made up of 5 minutes from each advrider carrying the mascot in each different part of the world... Sounds interesting.. I'd be happy to do the editing of all footage into one production (although I am also happy for others to put their hand up)..

The idea of a pig as a mascot actually sounds OK to me... tough, grunty, plays in mud....
Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #39
dangerz
es veee

Oddometer: 35
I like the book idea as well. Make sure to list all the spots that the mascot went to next to your name as well.
dangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #40
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Count me in for the UK leg of "Pass the Possum" or whatever this is going to get called.

FBS

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #41
marakesh express
Dream Maker

Oddometer: 98
UK Europe

As with Slim, count me in for the UK leg or some Europe.

Any excuse to get out and I`m just working on how to tell the the current Mrs Express that I`m off to Italy to bring back a cuddly toy
marakesh express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #42
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
regional contingents?

Sounds like a lovely idea. Seeing that there are many dozens of riders in the US who could take part, maybe we could even form a little 'contingent' hand off from one region to the other
. I am in the bay area and i can imagine a little gang of 5-10 ADV riders would easily be rallied to hand off to the next region
Old 09-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #43
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

I agree that each ADVrider hands over the responsability to another ADVrider. That ADVrider could be riding in a group but the actual responsability of the mascot would lie with the one person.. I'm sure it would not be a problem.. The more tha merrier....

The waterproof book idea sounds great as well. I'd be keen to try that..

I think it might be the time to start talking logistics. I think we will need one person per continent (minimum) who would like to actually try organise the mascot through that continent.

Add your names againt the continent of your choice if you would like to try organsie the mascot through that area.

Australia - GazzaFish (me)
North America -
South America -
Europe -
Asia -
Africa -
Antarctica - anyone????

Once we have some names down we can chat a bit about how we make it happen.... I would imagine each person would define the 'start point and date' for that continent with whoever was looking after the previous continent and then also the 'end time and point' with whioever looks after the next continent. Where it goes in between is up to you...

Any thoughts????
Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #44
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

In an attemopt to keep this thing moving, I have made an executive decision on 'The PIG' as the official mascot. Thanks to 'elchulopadre' for the suggestion.

Reasons are :-

- PIG is stereotypical pink and FAT
- PIG loves to make grunting noises
- PIG loves to play in the mud
- PIG is what bacon is made from.
- A lot of ADV bikes are refered to as PIG's....

Decision made. Now to buy one....
Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #45
Komito
back in the saddle

I'm in for North America

I think Shog's is right in all her wisdom!!

Waterproof book, let's do it, One person contact per region, perfect. I will start with North America, then as we get riders and interests, we can make regional personel as key contacts

Here's an addition:

Australia - GazzaFish (me)
North America - Komito
South America -
Europe -
Asia -
Africa -
Antarctica - anyone????