Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #91
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendura
Never had that with one of those
boring japanese bikes.
I bought a brandnew KTM LC4 in 1992 and trouble was the same.
Never ever again! Power means nothing without reliability!

Regards, Svenja
Love the poster too!

I gotta agree with ya 100% on your comments. When I wanted a "highway bike" I bought a BMW K-bike and while it wasn't necessairly "unreliable" it was quirky and a real pain to work on. I traded it for a Yamaha V-Max and EVERYTHING is easier to work on; Brake pad change, No Problem 20minute job, look it's leaking oil (oh nope just a breather hose disconnected, only the BMW LEAKED oil).

YES I would take this YAMAHA in a heart beat. I don't see it costing as much as the F/G BMW bikes either. Sure it'll be more than a KLR but it's a better bike (FI, better brakes, and better looks).

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #92
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Aww....No handguards!?! That's it. This bike sucks!!!

Kidding, but it is kinda funny how some people just tear bikes apart based upon one photo! If we rode spec sheets and photographs, Kawasaki would never have sold a single KLR.

I think there is hope though. Last I checked, dual sport/adventure bikes now make up a whopping 1.6% of motorycycle sales in the U.S. Don't quote me though, I have that issue of DealerNews around here somewhere...

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #93
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
If it had two cylinders it'd be a totally different beast. Heavier, bulkier and lacking the instant grunt of a big single. Not saying there's not a place for a 900cc Tenere though
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #94
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendura
I can hardly believe, that Yamaha won't bring the Tenere in the United States.
You live in the country of adventure, offroad and the Marlboro Man.
Over here in Germany we are not allowed to go offroad anywhere!
They sell 100 640 Adventures in the US every year. Don't confuse this forum with an actual market segment ;-) Sport bikes and cruisers are what makes the money in the US.

The TDM 850 bombed in the US, the big trailie genre sells well in Europe, pavement use only. I expect this bike will do similarly well in Europe.

Not that I think they won't bring it to the US, seems like a good alternative to the 08+ KLR.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #95
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
They sell 100 640 Adventures in the US every year. ......
not that a V-Strom compares much with a KTM 640adv, but it's a bike of the same "theme" (Adventure Touring) and Suzuki sells a shit load of those bikes. I'm not just making that up, it's just from what I've seen out on the road the last couple of years, I saw a ton of them in Florida this year during bike week and they've probably even eclipsed the GS on this site in terms of actually number of members with a V-strom vs the GS. Vstrom and the KLR650 are probably the most owned bikes of this site's members, so a little competition could only be a good thing right? (Kawi seems to think so by adding the Versys to their U.S. line up for 2008)

But on the whole Sportbikes (particularly the RR bikes) and big bore cruisers are the money makers and big time sellers.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #96
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Boy, am happy those sketches that had been circulating earlier this year were wrong...
+1 .... for a while I was worried it would look like the Versys
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #97
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
not that a V-Strom compares much with a KTM 640adv
Yeah, it doesn't quite spirit up the image of "adventure, offroad and the Marlboro Man" but I agree that the US market is changing. It'll be interesting to see what this bike does to KLR and Xcountry sales. They would seem to be it's nearest competitors in my eyes. I guess we'll find out how large this segment is in the US
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #98
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
+1 .... for a while I was worried it would look like the Versys
It's not like you have to look at it long enough to be that much of a hardship...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #99
invader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
The Tenere's dry weight of 188 Kg (402.6 lbs) is a bit high though, and the 660 put out only 48 HP, and with 210 mm (8.27") front suspension travel, and 200 mm (7.87") rear... It should be an affordable, reliable and comfortable good looking ride.
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #100
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 248
I'd take a good look at one if they bring it here! From the pics it looks awsome!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #101
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,746
funny how more people are worried about the low fender then the weight and crappy forks on this thing..

at 186kilos, it's only 10kilos short of my 950

(think I'll keep the 950 ;)

robdogg screwed with this post 09-11-2007 at 12:50 AM
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #102
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
2009 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

Everything I have is going up for sale. Well, not my TT-R250. I simply must have one of these new Yamaha Teneres. I have always been a Yamaha fan and own and have owned various models of Yamaha bikes over the years. We Yamaha fans have been waiting for this for along time. Yamaha has a huge hole in it's dualsport lineup. If you can even call it a lineup! It looks like nothing has really changed on this side of the pond and we'll still be waiting. Hopefully, not as long now! We can only hope they see the writing on the wall and bring it here next year. I'll be calling Yamaha Customer Service tomorrow to explain why we need this bike. I'm also calling my dealer to get my name on the list first for a black XT660Z Tenere, if they come next year. I was getting ready to jump ship over to a KLR, a Versys or the BMW X-Challenge. NOT NOW!

Way to go Yamaha. I would have liked to have seen it come with a 6-speed. Even my 2005 Yamaha TT-R250 has a 6-speed tranny in it. Go figure. But I can live with a 5-speed transmission, if I have to. Inverts would have also been nice but again, I can live without them. A 750cc TDM parallel twin engine making 65 to 75rwhp, inverted forks, a 6-speed transmission and a 300# wet weight would make this the perfect bike. It could be done! So close but yet so far away! Maybe they'll build that bike in 2010 and call it the Super Tenere! A blast from the past!

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #103
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
I think I just wet myself!

Hopefully, this bike will come to America next year! If you are at all interested call Yamaha and tell them you want one. I'll be doing that tomorrow! The 400# weight doesn't bother me. A few pounds can easily be removed from this bike here and there. It has steel handlebars, barweights, and passenger pegs. All that will be gone from mine, when it gets here and goes on a diet. I'm stoked for this bike!

Higher 7/8" aluminum Moose Racing handlebars, black Acerbis handguards, KTM folding mirrors, DRG LED turnsignals and a few other things are in my shop waiting for this bike to arrive! For trips, I'll use a couple waterproof adventure bags on the seat and toprack instead of the optional side racks and panniers to keep the weight down.

I want the black one! The question is can I buy one in Europe and get it back into the country somehow? probably not! OK, I'll have the cash when it gets here then!

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #104
xl600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
less then 8k?
In Europe we can find new XT660R less €6000 ;-) See here => http://www.motomag.com/cot/yamaha.htm
Maybe my next one, my Honda XL600LM have 80.000 km !

Stéphane
http://www.ledauphin.org/

xl600 screwed with this post 09-11-2007 at 03:20 AM
xl600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #105
bunny_punia
18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer: 252
More pics

Some more pics of the bike : 2008 XT660Z
bunny_punia is offline   Reply With Quote