User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
rader creek OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Spare Parts ????

I'm planning a trip from Colorado to Alaska next summer & would like some info on spares to take along.
The bikes will be a 2007 r1200gs & 2007 f650gs, would you take spare throttle & clutch cables as well as a chain for the 650 ?? the total trip my be aprox. 7000 miles, oil filters for a mid-point oil change ?
rader creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader creek
I'm planning a trip from Colorado to Alaska next summer & would like some info on spares to take along.
The bikes will be a 2007 r1200gs & 2007 f650gs, would you take spare throttle & clutch cables as well as a chain for the 650 ?? the total trip my be aprox. 7000 miles, oil filters for a mid-point oil change ?
I would either not change the oil on the road (do it before you leave) or change the oil without the filter. 7000 miles is not so much between changes with good oil and a fresh filter.

I would take cables, spare hand levers, an alternator belt for the R1200, air filter replacement if using oem.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
rader creek OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks for the info.
rader creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Really, really....you should ask these good questions in the specific bike forums.
That's where you'll receive the down-n-dirty for each bike, what sucks and what doesn't. And what you really want to know is...what sucks.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader creek
I would take spare cables, hand levers. For the 650 if the chain and sprockets are low mileage I would take a spare front sprocket only. All of the spares so far could be zipp tied onto the exterior of the bike. You would also want to take a spare quart of oil, chain lube.

There is a Harly dealer in Fairbanks that acts as a BMW service center.

Oil filter - You could always change to running stainless steal oil filters, then you just clean them on the road and pop them back in.

I would just clean your air filter before you leave on the trip.

In my opinion the riding up there with the exception of the Canol trail is pretty easy. Good luck.

www.wannaroam.com
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote