ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
DOCsprocket OP
Sprocket

Oddometer: 511
Anyone up for the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route?

Hey All,

I've been planning on doing a portion of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route this month from the 24th through the 28th (+/-) but the other people that had initially showed interest are bailing out. I'd rather not go alone, so I'm looking for a few other riders that might be up for a little adventure. The plan is to meet in southern Oregon near Klamath Falls and ride fire roads back to Portland. The riding is going to be almost entirely fire roads, but shouldn't be too technical. Plenty of opportunities to fish and explore!

You can see the route at: http://maps.innersource.com/GProject.aspx?pid=4039

You can see more photos at: http://oohva.org/ (click the link at the bottom for the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route, then select Route 3, then click on the link to the pictures).

I'm only planning on doing the western portion from Klamath Falls back to Portland (Route 3).

I can e-mail interested parties the GPX file which can be viewed in 3-D on Google Earth.

Hoping for some company!
DOCsprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
MY ADV
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer: 487
Dont Ride alone!

DOCsprocket

You have caught my attention!

I need to check on the amount of vacation time I have left. This might be the perfect time for me to go.

Will we be camping? And do you have an itinerary?

This also might be a good trial run for my brothers who are planning a rode trip to Baja at the end of October.

2012 KTM 990R ADV (20.0K Miles and growing)
2005.5 KTM 950A ADV (106K Miles to its death by way of truck)
2005 KTM 450 EX-G (Plate)
MY ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
I've been interested in doing this ride, but it'd work much better for me if it included a Fri-Sun, when I'm normally off. I might be able to meet up to do from Bend north or something, anyway.

I'd also like to do sections of the Pacific Crest Quest route, especially N. OR and S. WA.

-David
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
OnT0ur
OnTh'RoadAgin

Oddometer: 36
OBD Route. Trail conditions

What kind of trail is it mostly?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
We did it this summer, now would be a great time to go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=obdr

plenty of fire roads, some OHV trails that could be avoided if you wanted.

Have a nice ride!
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,650
you'll have a blast - what are you riding? I can show you a super fun piece from Bachelor to Sisters if we could coordinate.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
DOCsprocket OP
Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
you'll have a blast - what are you riding? I can show you a super fun piece from Bachelor to Sisters if we could coordinate.
I'm on a 2003 F650gs. It should be killer! I'd be excited to coordinate for when I'm around Bachelor and Sisters...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
DOCsprocket OP
Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY ADV
DOCsprocket

You have caught my attention!

I need to check on the amount of vacation time I have left. This might be the perfect time for me to go.

Will we be camping? And do you have an itinerary?

This also might be a good trial run for my brothers who are planning a rode trip to Baja at the end of October.
I have a basic plan of riding about 100 miles a day, checking cool stuff out on the way as we find it. I was planning on camping the whole way and fishing anywhere that looked good.

You should come!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,583
That's a bad week for me, or I'd be all over it.
I'd like to hit #3 this year, but it's not turning out that way.

Have fun, take pics.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Idaho525
orange rider

Oddometer: 77
OOHVA info request

Has anyone done Route 5 sections 3 & 4? I know nothing about the OOHVA, but it looks very interesting. Don't mean to be off topic, but this thread will probably get more hits with people having info than anywhere. Please PM me if you have info about this route. I need to know about gas, food, camping and sleeping options. Do the maps you can buy give this info? Riding a KTM 525 EXC doesn't allow for much gear carrying capacity. Good luck with your trip up Route 3. Thanks.
Idaho525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
TrasktoDakar
Gone to the dark side/KTM

Oddometer: 99
Which route are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Arn't you talking about OBCDR 3
Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho525
Has anyone done Route 5 sections 3 & 4? I know nothing about the OOHVA, but it looks very interesting. Don't mean to be off topic, but this thread will probably get more hits with people having info than anywhere. Please PM me if you have info about this route. I need to know about gas, food, camping and sleeping options. Do the maps you can buy give this info? Riding a KTM 525 EXC doesn't allow for much gear carrying capacity. Good luck with your trip up Route 3. Thanks.
I've ridden all the sections and can give you some pointers. Go to www.oohva.org and buy the maps you need. The maps do have limited info on camping/fuel/food etc. but most of what you'll need to know will come from experience - either someone else's or your own on the trail. You can set up your 525 easily to camp. You'll need 3 pieces of luggage gear: a Wolfman enduro pack (glove box that sits on your front headlight or number plate), a set of DirtBagz (fabric panniers made especially for off road bikes like yours), and a small backpack/hydropack. Your tent, sleeping bag, bed roll etc. will strap on your rear fender across the Dirt Bagz. Or, you stay in hotels/motels along the way.

I'm running a tour of 11 bikes and one truck starting here this morning on the OBDR, some route 5 and almost all of route 3. Follow the thread below for the story:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265042

Feel free to ask any questions.

Greg
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #13
Cap'n Ron
The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer: 528
There is a fairly large group of us heading over to Walla Walla on Friday 9-21. Our plan is to do the route from north to south over 5 days, 22nd through the 26th and see where we end up. There will be a large variety of bikes with me riding a big GS Adventure and another rider on a Ural and some KLR's thrown in for good measure. We're not going to be in a huge hurry, I would like to get as far south as possible in the 5 days, but I don't really want to break my bike or my body on this trip. Fun is my goal.

I purchased the TrekNow CD for $40 and believe it was well worth the money. The CD includes maps, roll charts, direction sheets, gps routes, waypoints, and tracks for the entire route. PM me if you want more info or details.

Exploration is the key to a youthful outlook!
"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason on running marathons.
Cap'n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
DOCsprocket OP
Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrasktoDakar
Arn't you talking about OBCDR 3
Yup, that's the route, but I'd do just about anything to keep my trip alive!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
DOCsprocket OP
Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
I've ridden all the sections and can give you some pointers. Go to www.oohva.org and buy the maps you need. The maps do have limited info on camping/fuel/food etc. but most of what you'll need to know will come from experience - either someone else's or your own on the trail. You can set up your 525 easily to camp. You'll need 3 pieces of luggage gear: a Wolfman enduro pack (glove box that sits on your front headlight or number plate), a set of DirtBagz (fabric panniers made especially for off road bikes like yours), and a small backpack/hydropack. Your tent, sleeping bag, bed roll etc. will strap on your rear fender across the Dirt Bagz. Or, you stay in hotels/motels along the way.

I'm running a tour of 11 bikes and one truck starting here this morning on the OBDR, some route 5 and almost all of route 3. Follow the thread below for the story:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265042

Feel free to ask any questions.

Greg
Sounds killer, Greg. If the dates worked, I'd just sign up for one of your rides, but I've already asked for the time off during the week of te 23rd. At this point, I'd ride just about anywhere in the PNW during that period of time.