User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
RichBeBe OP
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,145
Oh to be 20 again, 5 months and 27,000 miles on a Ninja 750

After reading a couple of the awesome threads about young riders going on epic trips, I decided to tell my story. Sadly I do not have as many pictures as I would like to have had, but I have some and will upload them throughout this thread if there is interest.
A bit of background, I grew up in a family of travelers; we would travel the country in my parents van, as a kid. I spent summers living in a tent in a KOA and had visited most of the states and parts of Canada and Mexico but still hadn’t been on a plane when I took off on this trip in 1989 at the age of twenty. I bought my first bike in 1988 an EX500 and after having it for three months I rode it from NYC to Nova Scotia without a clue on how to travel by bike, but I figured it out as I went. That bike got stolen and I bought a new 1989 Ninja 750R and decided to do my epic trip. My parents were divorced and my mom totally supported the idea and helped by giving me a gas credit card and paying for most of my gas. With that said I had no real destination and not a lot of money but a desire to hit the road so I did.
I am going to tell that story from the best of my memory. Sadly I kept a dairy/log but lost it years ago so some of the times, places, people, etc are going to be foggy.
Day One
I got a late start and left in hard rain leaving NYC and heading up to Route 6 and taking across Pennsylvania and stopping at a not very memorable state park campground halfway through the state.
More to come, a lot more since this was a five month trip and I hit 49 states.

RichBeBe screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 07:18 PM
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
I'm in! This sounds like it's going to be really good! Don't worry about having to do it from memory...I think it will be great. I'll bet there were not too many other people on motorbike journeys like this back in '89 so I'm really looking forward to hearing what it was like, what the reaction was of the people you met along the way. Love the choice of bike, too.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote