User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 786
Suzuki Kizashi

I've had my mind set on a Kizashi for my next car for a couple of years now, but I didn't want the horrible CVT automatic, and the take rate on the 6-speed manual was around 5-8%, so they are virtually unicorns. Well, a low-mile, manual GTS Sport showed up at a dealer in my neighborhood. If I was going to get one, this was my chance. Dealer made me a great deal and it came home with me yesterday afternoon. I am thrilled. The Kizashi was a truly underrated model.

Tanshanomi screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 04:48 AM
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,708
What's parts support going to be like? If this is a keeper, you may want to lay in spares while you can still get your hands on them. I'm thinking headlight and fog light capsules at a minimum, and maybe also front and rear bumper covers. Driver's side inside and outside door releases, too, and maybe a window motor, plus a spare key if it has to be security coded.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,832
Nice! Shame that Suzuki pulled out if the U.S. just as their cars were starting to get good. What are your impressions of it so far?
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,603
http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/13...web-exclusive/

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Suzuki Kizashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
What are your impressions of it so far?

It's basically a Japanese Jetta. It feels very solid. It's definitely more family car than race car, with a fairly ordinary engine (185 HP), but exceptionally good driving dynamics for a FWD car. The manual has a crisp, low-effort shifter and clutch. The rear seat is pretty cramped, but it's comfortable up front. It's got plenty of bells and whistles, such as keyless start, dual zone climate control, XM radio and Bluetooth.

Frankly, I doubt I could have purchased anything else as nice to drive for the money.

Tanshanomi screwed with this post 05-20-2015 at 05:36 AM
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 28,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
It's basically a Japanese Jetta. It feels very solid. It's definitely more family car than race car, with a fairly ordinary engine (170 HP), but exceptionally good driving dynamics for a FWD car. The manual has a crisp, low-effort shifter and clutch. The rear seat is pretty cramped, but it's comfortable up front. It's got plenty of bells and whistles, such as keyless start, dual zone climate control, XM radio and Bluetooth.

Frankly, I doubt I could have purchased anything else as nice to drive for the money.
Do they make it, or is it rebadged from someone else? I'm never sure who makes what anymore. Seems some cars that have been relegated to the unobtainium heap have a sister vehicle from which new parts can be obtained.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

It was a unique, in-house design by Suzuki
Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
McCormack
Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer: 8,167
I started this thread 3 years ago.

I saw a car on the highway that I thought was totally beautiful, but had no idea on earth what it was, so I started that thread. It turns out, it was a Kizashi!

Good luck with it. I'm glad to hear it's a good car.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

I was wrong, it's 170 lbs-ft of torque. 185 HP.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Didn't even know they came manual. A neighbor of mine has one since we moved to our neighborhood 5 years ago. How is the support network?

Later
John
Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Didn't even know they came manual. A neighbor of mine has one since we moved to our neighborhood 5 years ago. How is the support network?

Later
John
There are still some supporting dealers, mostly multi-line dealers who previously sold Suzuki. Mine is no longer under warranty and I plan I taking it to an independent repair shop I've had a relationship with for years, so I am not too concerned about factory-authorized dealers, except as parts sources. The Kizashi is still in production, just not imported here. I was told that all the parts for it still available for it. As a friend of mine pointed out, there were more Kizashis imported than Holden GTOs.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
There are still some supporting dealers, mostly multi-line dealers who previously sold Suzuki. Mine is no longer under warranty and I plan I taking it to an independent repair shop I've had a relationship with for years, so I am not too concerned about factory-authorized dealers, except as parts sources. The Kizashi is still in production, just not imported here. I was told that all the parts for it still available for it. As a friend of mine pointed out, there were more Kizashis imported than Holden GTOs.
The biggest problem I had with my SX4 was finding a dealer to make me a duplicate chipped key.....never a problem with the car.

I'll miss suzuki. I wish more auto mfgs would pull out of the states to raise awareness.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,677
This might be of interest to you:

Quote:
When we became bored, we took the Kizashi to Road Race Motorsports in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Fe Springs. The company has a history of making performance mods for the Mitsubishi Evo; more recently, it has built some SEMA hot rods for Suzuki and is also doing a line of parts for the Fiat 500. Road Race has a small parts catalog for the Kizashi, including a thicker rear anti-roll bar ($239), a lightweight crank pulley for faster rev-up ($139), a cold-air intake ($259), a computer “fuel calibrator” that helps pull a few more horsepower out of the Kizashi’s conservative fuel/air map ($429), and a catty cat-back exhaust ($649) that eliminates the rear silencers. We said, “Yes, please” to everything.

With the add-ons, the car ate on-ramps with a little more steering bite and a little less body roll. It also merged with traffic at a quicker pace, although that may have been 9/10ths perception. While the formerly innocuous exhaust note became a chain-saw yowl of rice-burner badness, measured launch time to 60 mph remained the same 7.5 seconds as when we first tested our Kizashi in stock form. We did see some top-end improvement, however, with a 0-to-100-mph time cut by 0.8 second to 21.5 seconds (all aftermarket parts were removed before our final test).

We love the way the exhaust tucked behind the stock bumper diffusers, making the car look entirely innocent. The parts are well-crafted, considering the prices, and installable by any shade-tree mechanic with reasonable skill. A Kizashi owner should be glad somebody has bothered to tool them, considering the car’s relatively low sales volume.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: