Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 148 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #1561
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,508
The 800 LB gorilla in the room

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101104496.html

we will run out of helium. It has so many other uses, wasting it on airships is stupid. BUT, we do stupid things all the time.

so keep your truck license Ben.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #1562
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Oddometer: 20
Winter 2011-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Thanks David...sometimes I just need a break from my own shit!

It appears that 2012 is going to be a full season for me, though, so that break won't last for ever....

Cheers.
Any further updates for us yet, as to if you are commiting to another installment of this trucking adventure?
Pro Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #1563
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Mover View Post
Any further updates for us yet, as to if you are commiting to another installment of this trucking adventure?
Hmmm, not really sure that there will be anything to report on. It is no longer certain that I'll be going back this coming season, in fact I'd say it is unlikely. Still possible, but things are going on here that make it difficult to get away. We'll see...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #1564
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,347
bumpity

Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #1565
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Merry Xmas Squanker and a Happy New Year

Paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #1566
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Merry Xmas Squanker and a Happy New Year

Hope you make it north, to entertain us , while we ride in the rain .

Paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1567
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 393
Squonker,

I just started reading your thread, and I'm up to the beginning of your 2009 season. I'm wondering (sorry if it has been asked) why don't the trucking companies employe some smaller trucks rather than send 6000 lbs of cement on 1 truck? It seems like a much smaller straight truck that weighs 1/4 of that KW, WS, Freightliner etc could haul a lot more and not be over the weight limit of the ice. Or does it have to do with the per axle limit and how far the axles are spaced apart?
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #1568
sages
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
if you had to go over some thin ice would you spread yourself out to cover as big an area as you could or would you stand up and wear your stilletos?
sages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #1569
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been checking in very often lately. Nothing to report but thanks for the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
Squonker,

I just started reading your thread, and I'm up to the beginning of your 2009 season. I'm wondering (sorry if it has been asked) why don't the trucking companies employe some smaller trucks rather than send 6000 lbs of cement on 1 truck? It seems like a much smaller straight truck that weighs 1/4 of that KW, WS, Freightliner etc could haul a lot more and not be over the weight limit of the ice. Or does it have to do with the per axle limit and how far the axles are spaced apart?
Yamaricket, it is because those reduced weight limits only last a week or so until the ice is up to strength so there is no point in hiring one set of trucks/drivers for that week then sending them home and getting the usual suspects in for the rest of the season. It would lots more admin, more risk, more unknown drivers, more orientations to do, more everything really. Sage's answer is funny and that is a happy advantage of doing it the way it is done.

Happy Christmas to you all, and best wishes for 2012!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #1570
Bill Daley
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello

Hi squonker just wanted to thank you for your work here.

I ran Edmonton Yellowknife pulling trains in the 70s with Byers Transport.I always wondered what the rest of the run was like.I guess there has been lots of changes since I was up there last.

It was only a few miles out of Highlevel that we dropped onto gravel the rest of the way up.There were times if it rained heavy that we had to sit at Edzo waiting for the last 60 miles to dry up enough to be able to get into Yellowknife back then.Once we sat there for 40 hours.The nurses station brought sandwichs and coffee out to the trucks.

There used to be a large open spot just south of the ferry crossing that during beakup was used to take the freight across to the other side of the river by helicopter.Everything was unloaded into slings and flown to the other side then loaded back onto trailers for the rest of the trip up until the ferry started again.

I suppose by now the places we used to stop at,Indian Cabins about an hour south of Enterprise and Archucks at Ft Providence would be gone.

Again I want to thank you for the wonderful job you have done here as it has brought back a lot of good memories.

Bill Daley screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 02:46 AM Reason: add more
Bill Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #1571
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 286
Bill, Indian Cabins is alive and well, not a thriving stop but getting by. I stop in everytime I travel North of 60. The old original store building burnt down a few years back but a modular trailer building is there now as well as a large open camp. Last stop for Alberta Gas prices (and beer ) before the border.

The bridge across the Mackenzie is supposed to be finished this year I believe so the ferry will come out as well. Lots of changes on the route since the 70's for sure.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1572
Bill Daley
n00b

Thanks

Yup figured there would be.The people who used to run Indian Cabins had a couple of kids.I guess they are probably the ones running it now as the parents were my age and would be to old now.We used to pick stuff up for them from time to time and take it up.

I can agree with what has been said about the beauty of the country Once you've been up there you never forget it.Used to go into Ft Chip quite often over the winter.Used to be an old Wood Buffalo that stayed off to the side of the herd.Don't have any idea how old it was but the thing was turning grey.LOL .
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #1573
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you posts. Yes, the beauty of the country up there is something you never get over. I think about it literally every day.

I would love to have been hauling the Mackenzie Hwy in the 70s. Sadly, the last time I drove through Grimshaw intending to stop at the truck museum it had closed down so I never got to see it.

It was '01 that I first drove into YK so I'm hardly an old timer (!) but the road was unpaved from Rae/Edzo on. I was driving my old Honda Civic - that car and I had seen some rough roads and even a few logging roads, but the last 60 kms into Yellowknife were the roughest road I'd ever driven in the poor thing! In the summer of...would it have been '03?...I worked on the paving project, running a belly dump subbed out to Rowes Construction of Hay River (and they have an office in Simpson to, I believe). It was a fun job but we must have done it miserably because within a couple of years the section of the road that we did (the southern half, nearest Edzo) had the worst frost heaves ever in it. The northern part, done by RTL, was fine. Coming north off the ferry, once you hit Rae you literally had to slow down until you hit the good part of the job. Pretty sad, and I'm not sure whether it has been re-done yet.

When I first moved to YK they were still slinging freight across the river by helicopter, but I never saw it happen. One year I had booked a plane ticket out of Calgary and the ferry crossing still wasn't open so I was getting pretty antsy. I called a few people and asked about having my car flown across but they all said that they didn't do cars any more. In the end I left YK and drove to Providence, where I sat as close to the ferry as they'd let me get, and waited. I timed it just right because about 6 hours later they got it running and I was on the first north to south crossing of the year.

Have you read the book 'Trucking North on Canada's Mackenzie Highway' by Roberta L. Hursey? You should, it's a must for you having done it 'in the olden days'!! Here's a link: http://www.amazon.ca/Trucking-North-...5960203&sr=1-4

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #1574
Bill Daley
n00b

When they built that piece of the road you woked on originally they laid down logs and built ontop of them.Most of the fill came from the bogs then gravel was packed ontop of it.What took place with the asphalt probably would have happened no matter who did it.

I laughed at the pictures of the converters.The set up that Byers used was made up of them.Robinson used to haul the trailers on up back then.Some of them came back in pretty rough shape.Dog tracking,broken springs and stuff like that.We used to haul them down to Hay River and leave them there to be fixed.

I read somewhere that they have bypassed Mosquito Creek hill.We had an episode with a set of trains there years ago.It all had to do with the way they were loaded and couldn't do over 40 with them as they were all over the road lol.Got about 2/3 the way up and spun out.Put chains on and busted them up and decided to wait until morning when we could see.We used to have a foam block we put across the dog house when we went into Ft.Chip so we could both sleep.After going up top and putting a shovel with a hard hat up in the middle of the road we tried to get some sleep.Weren't there very long when one of Pe Bens trucks stopped beside us and asked if we wanted some help.Bob Shumaker who was my partner was on the dog house and was damn well not thinking when he got woke.Told the guy we were fine no problems.I could have shot him as the fellow had a winch and could have had us over the top in about 10 minutes.That story was passed all over up there back then LOL.

Thanks for the lead on the book.I live near Woodstock Ontario now at a trailer park.Am going into Hamilton within a couple of days and am going to order it from Chapters.I bought an old bike a couple of years ago.It's a custom trike running a honda civic car engine with the Hondamatic transmission.Hope to have it on the road this summer.Would love to be able to do the trip on it one last time.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #1575
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,347
Hey Bill, thanks for adding to the story, great posts. Cheers.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: