Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #1621
alberta bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Squonker
just spent this evening reading the first 10 pages of this post ,just found it tonight awesome reading great pics look forward to the other. 90 pages and it good to see its still alive today .

Sabre
"The point is, you can survive. I did, and I'm no superhero. I'm just a man, full of faults and poison and sadness and hatred, full of joy and fears and pain and happiness, full of love for my fellow man and my kids and unfortunately not enough for myself, but I'm learning."
alberta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #1622
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Hope so, and I`ve just the truck for you.

Nice 379 David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta bob
just spent this evening reading the first 10 pages of this post ,just found it tonight awesome reading great pics look forward to the other. 90 pages and it good to see its still alive today .
Thanks Bob! I think most of the good posts came from others!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #1623
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Nice 379 David!

We don`t see many Pete`s over here as they are private imports and need to be converted to RHD etc, but the ones we do see are usually pretty nice. The old codger who was driving it (it wasn`t his) was rapt in it.

Here`s what I normally drive, when I`m not off work with a broken ankle. Not as flash as the American stuff, but very suitable for the work we do, as we need to get into some very tight spaces.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 02:02 AM
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #1624
gsd4me
90% bluff

Speaking of nice trucks, there won`t be many American truck fans that don`t like the W model.

These two are each pulling a 19 metre B double Stag tipping trailer combination. The second turntable is located underneath the rear of the lead trailer and to tip the lead trailer, the second trailer is jack knifed to the side, and the tail gate raised hydraulically.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #1625
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

David, with the front of the cab not visible it is hard to be sure, but is that a DAF 85 you drive? I took my original, British, Class 1 in a DAF 95 back in 1991.

When I first came to Canada and saw the tippers with two trailers it blew my mind, so unlike anything I'd ever see before! I have spent only a very little time on one - just a few days probably - but at least I can say I've done it. (And yes, the W series are gorgeous trucks).

Off to the test centre, one of my students has his road test today....

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #1626
gsd4me
90% bluff

No mate, it`s a Volvo FM 450, Euro 5 emission specs. 10.9 litre engine which actually pulls a lot better than our previous Euro 3 12.9 litre trucks. One good thing about these emission laws is that the engines have a lot more torque.

They have the 12 speed Volvo I shift which is excellent, Mack have now fitted it into their trucks, but call it the M drive. It will be a good box for OTR trucks, they make you sound like the best driver in the world. As you`ve said before, the good old manual Eaton Roadranger is the ticket for the ice roads.

We also used to have Freightliner Columbias with a 450hp Mercedes Benz (actually a Detroit, I think) straight 6 Euro 3 engine; these went OK as we only cart groceries which are not heavy. A couple of years ago we had a loan of some Euro 4 Columbias with the same engine and they pulled a lot stronger.

We can load 6 tonnes on the steer, 16.5 tonnes over the tandem drive and 20 tonnes over the tri-axle trailer (42.5 tonnes). A heavy load for us would be mid 30 tonnes, so we don`t need a lot of grunt.

Another pic of the Volvo.

Big jigger. Looks like a road train out of its area -only one trailer allowed where it was parked - It seems to be missing a (convertor) dolly for the second trailer.

Check out the conveyor belt rubber mudguards over the drive, very common on extreme duty outback trucks.

gsd4me screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 07:29 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #1627
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,045
Quote:
We can load 6 tonnes on the steer, 16.5 tonnes over the tandem drive and 20 tonnes over the tri-axle trailer (42.5 tonnes). A heavy load for us would be low to mid 30 tonnes, so we don`t need a lot of grunt.
We (U.S.) can go 20,000 pounds on single axles and 32,000 on tandems. As tandems are spread apart, the allowable load goes up, but I don't remember how many pounds per foot. When they're spread far enough apart, they're counted as singles again and go back up to the 20,000 rating.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1628
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
We (U.S.) can go 20,000 pounds on single axles and 32,000 on tandems. As tandems are spread apart, the allowable load goes up, but I don't remember how many pounds per foot. When they're spread far enough apart, they're counted as singles again and go back up to the 20,000 rating.
In Massachusetts, we have overweight permits, we can go up to 99 thousand gross with 5% over which gives us 104,000, I drive a 2008 Mack Pinnacle with an MP 8 engine, 485 horsepower, 18 speed Road Ranger, with 46,000 lb. rears and a 14,000 lb. steer axle. . We haul one tandem axle dump trailer, with close to 36 tons in the trailer, I also haul gasoline and home heating fuel in a 10,000 gallon tank.

semper-fi
wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #1629
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
No mate, it`s a Volvo FM 450, Euro 5 emission specs. 10.9 litre engine which actually pulls a lot better than our previous Euro 3 12.9 litre trucks. One good thing about these emission laws is that the engines have a lot more torque.

They also have the 12 speed Volvo I shift which is excellent, Mack have now fitted it into their trucks, but call it the M drive. It will be a good box for OTR trucks, they make you sound like the best driver in the world. As you`ve said before, the good old manual Eaton Roadranger is the ticket for the ice roads.

We also used to have Freightliner Columbias with a 450hp Mercedes Benz (actually a Detroit, I think) straight 6 Euro 3 engine; these went OK as we only cart groceries which are not heavy. A couple of years ago we had a loan of some Euro 4 Columbias with the same engine and they pulled a lot stronger.

We can load 6 tonnes on the steer, 16.5 tonnes over the tandem drive and 20 tonnes over the tri-axle trailer (42.5 tonnes). A heavy load for us would be low to mid 30 tonnes, so we don`t need a lot of grunt.

Another pic of the Volvo.

Big jigger. Looks like a road train out of its area -only one trailer allowed where it was parked - It seems to be missing a (convertor) dolly for the second trailer.

Check out the conveyor belt rubber mudguards over the drive, very common on extreme duty outback trucks.

Nice looking trucks, My ex wife and I traveled in OZ about 20 years ago. We rented a small motor-home and drove from Sydney out to Lightning Ridge, Then up to McKay, took a day trip out to the Great Barrier Reef, Then headed back south towards Sydney. When we turned the Motor-home in the woman at the rental counter couldn't believe we put 6,000 K on the odometer in about 10 days of driving around. Don't give a truck driver unlimited free mileage.

semper-fi
wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #1630
gsd4me
90% bluff

Depending on what is going on, I also drive these from time to time. The six wheeler is a rocketship. 6 cylinder, 380 HP , 12 speed opticruise automated transmission which I don`t like, but works OK with all the power in this truck. With the fridge motor sitting over the front it is real easy to overload the front axle, so we have the inside load area barred back about half a pallet length to keep the weight back a bit.

The 8 wheelers are just a disaster; well put together, with airbags on each corner so we can raise or lower the whole shebang. They have a 5 cylinder 280HP engine supposedly built for torque, but with no power the opticruise gets confused and doesn`t know which gear to be in. The only way to get any short of forward motion in traffic is to keep them in manual mode and keep the revs up, defeating the purpose of the high torque economical engine. They would have been better fit an engine that did the job easier, then the driver could let the gearbox get on with the job.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #1631
ChazCable
Mechanic

Oddometer: 53
Awsome looking trucks, esspeically the non american ones from kenworth. I learned a standard in a old ford dump truck with a 8 speed and hardly a clutch left in her! had to keep the 350 cummins tacked up to engage the clutch
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #1632
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME

They have the 12 speed Volvo I shift which is excellent, Mack have now fitted it into their trucks, but call it the M drive. It will be a good box for OTR trucks, they make you sound like the best driver in the world. As you`ve said before, the good old manual Eaton Roadranger is the ticket for the ice roads.
Ah, I see it now! I used to drive a Volvo eight legger in England, a vacuum truck and it had a V8 in it, would have been an F10 or an F12 I guess. I used to go round at night collecting leachate from tanks at landfills and unload it at a 'plant' right at the ocean. I suspect it went straight out to sea! One night I got the tanks all drained and went back to the yard, but it was locked - with my car inside - and I didn't have a key so all I could do was catch some Zzzzs in the cab and wait until someone showed up in the morning. When it came to pay day they didn't want to pay me for the time I was stuck outside waiting for the yard to be unlocked. No problem - the next time I drained the leachate tanks I just drove around empty all night between the landfills and the plant. I'd have a cup of tea at one end, a fag at the other and that way even my tacho said that I'd been working all night!

Around the same time (this would have been 1991 or so) I did drive a first generation Merc EPS although I can't remember much about it. We have an automatic Mack tractor that we use to teach on now (in fact I had a student out in it this morning). It's an '06 so not as advanced as the more modern auto shifts, but I have to say that I am beginning to like it more and more.

I'll know what I'm doing this winter pretty soon, i.e. whether I'm going up north or not. If I do, it'll be with a different employer...maybe a very different employer (I hear this guy is a huge arsehole, the biggest there is )

squonker screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:19 PM Reason: Chilean monkeys with sub machine guns pointed at my head
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #1633
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
I'll know what I'm doing this winter pretty soon, i.e. whether I'm going up north or not. If I do, it'll be with a different employer...maybe a very different employer (I hear this guy is a huge arsehole, the biggest there is )

... if that was my post I'd guess owner driver

Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #1634
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:

Security?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1635
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,621
Quote:
Security?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread