ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #1741
gsd4me
90% bluff
 
gsd4me's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,009
A picture is worth a thousand words.
__________________
David Hunn:
R100GS Ray Peake special.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #1742
Unique458
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Brunswick Canada
Oddometer: 98
2 trips 3 breakdowns , you sure you miss it ?
Not fun repairing a truck at 3 am in - 40

On my way back from Diavik yesterday, some drivers were saying that earlier in the week BHP recorded a temp of -49 and -70 windchill. Glad I was in YK at the time, It's all my truck can do to stay warm at -40
Imagine -50-70
See you later got to go load my trailer
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1743
ChazCable
Mechanic
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland
Oddometer: 53
Any major problem?
Hopefully your luck will turn around for ya bud, keep the greasy side down and us updated
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #1744
squonker OP
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,959
Thanks for checking in Unique. Sounds like you're having an adventure...!

__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1745
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot
 
Pro Mover's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Floating around in Whalley, BC (Surrey)
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
2 trips 3 breakdowns , you sure you miss it ?
Not fun repairing a truck at 3 am in - 40
Nothing too serious, I hope? Was it power trouble, or issues with your trailer(s)??

Details, pictures .... show us the BROKEN stuff! ;-)

Oh and above all STAY SAFE!!
Pro Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #1746
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardware02's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 2,997
Stupid question time...

From watching Ice Road Truckers and from this thread, I get the sense that break downs are more common than down south.

How much of this is due to the extreme conditions and how much because companies are running old, worn out rigs?

Also...many of the trucks seem to be standard highway tractors. Wouldn't it make sense to invest in new(er) extreme duty trucks, say with power also going to the front axle and also invest in figuring out a way to effectively winterize them?

Wouldn't that mean more money in the long run because they can run more consistently during drops in the temp and also degraded conditions?
__________________
"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #1747
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
Stupid question time...

From watching Ice Road Truckers and from this thread, I get the sense that break downs are more common than down south.

How much of this is due to the extreme conditions and how much because companies are running old, worn out rigs?

Also...many of the trucks seem to be standard highway tractors. Wouldn't it make sense to invest in new(er) extreme duty trucks, say with power also going to the front axle and also invest in figuring out a way to effectively winterize them?

Wouldn't that mean more money in the long run because they can run more consistently during drops in the temp and also degraded conditions?
The ice roads are open for what, 3-4 months? What do you do with winter-designed trucks for the rest of the year? A driven steer axle will kill fuel economy, and if they're designed to retain heat, they'll have trouble shedding it in warm weather.

Run synthetic fluids and grease, keep water out of the fuel and air lines, and don't do anything stupid and they should be OK with normal equipment. It's not like they're doing a rough-country crossing of Siberia. And shit breaks on road tractors even in good conditions.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #1748
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
And shit breaks on road tractors even in good conditions.
Even well-maintained equipment breaks down when it is nice out. The cold just magnifies it.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #1749
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardware02's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
The ice roads are open for what, 3-4 months? What do you do with winter-designed trucks for the rest of the year? A driven steer axle will kill fuel economy, and if they're designed to retain heat, they'll have trouble shedding it in warm weather.

Run synthetic fluids and grease, keep water out of the fuel and air lines, and don't do anything stupid and they should be OK with normal equipment. It's not like they're doing a rough-country crossing of Siberia. And shit breaks on road tractors even in good conditions.
Good points. I didn't know so I asked.

I see the point on the driven steer axle. As for heat retention, I was thinking mods that could be added/deleted in a few hours, leaving the rig good to go for the warm(er) months.
__________________
"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1750
squonker OP
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
As for heat retention, I was thinking mods that could be added/deleted in a few hours, leaving the rig good to go for the warm(er) months.
I think that basically no-one has yet come up with a better idea than the belly tarp. It hardly makes much difference to heat, but then there isn't much need anyway. If you put something thick enough infront of your radiator you'll keep the engine warm and as long as you're moving the tranny and diff oils will be warm, too. As for the interior, good door and window seals would be the first thing I'd take care of but I always have a few extra clothes within reach from the driver's seat!

The best advice I can give about heat from my experience up there is that if you want to stay warm in your truck, don't drive a Freightliner!!
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #1751
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,759
Too bad it's not really practical to spray a case of Great Stuff spray foam in all the voids in the cab. Maybe wear a Roadcrafter with full Gerbings beneath and hope the lighter plug holds up.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #1752
squonker OP
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,959
You know, electric gear is almost worth a try. Even just a vest might make a difference. I quite like that idea!
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1753
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
You know, electric gear is almost worth a try. Even just a vest might make a difference. I quite like that idea!
I'd have to start with electric socks. My extremities get very cold very quickly when the temperature drops, and warming the core doesn't change that.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #1754
ChazCable
Mechanic
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland
Oddometer: 53
Dad got a pair of electric boots he plugs into the ciggarette lighter in the service truck when he has to run up the winter road
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #1755
Unique458
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Brunswick Canada
Oddometer: 98
Sitting here at camp, only leaving at 1 pm for the ice road, so i,am gonna try to e-mail myself some pics, then use my laptop to show some pics.












Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014