User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #1786
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
It does happen, David, even if it isn't all that common. If an ex-freight hauler left on good terms when he switched to haul fuel, then when the fuel job ends he might approach the freight companies to see whether they needed any extra trucks on to help get their contracted loads to the mines. That would definitely be a profitable season for the driver...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #1787
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
4 1/2 trips to Diavik a week is very impressive. To do that and still get 4 to 5 hrs sleep each day is almost bionic!
Just doing my thing! Ha Ha Ha!
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #1788
Unique458
Adventurer

O boy the fun I've been having lately.
Just got back into Yellowknife after spending two days broken down on Portage 49 at -50, It was unbelievably cold Working on the truck for two hours in that temperature, I got up that morning try to get moving everybody on the Portage was stuck because it was so cold, and I eventually ended up putting chains on my drives to get moving and i blew out the front differential.
I ended up removing the rear axles and limped home on my power divider, what an adventure that was.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #1789
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

-50c! Holy moly that's cold! Usually I'd say something like, "Rather you than me", but actually I am jealous in a perverse kind of way....!

When you've thawed out tell us some more!!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #1790
Unique458
Adventurer

It seems that we may be almost done, a lot of rumors going around.
Snap lake is all fueled up, some of those drivers have been assigned to B.H.P. and Diavik, so those mines are gonna fill up even quicker, last time i was in there for delivery, the natives that unload were telling me, they had 2 tanks filled, and were only filling 3 this year,and the third one was at 1/4 full, last year Diavik put in a bunch of those windmills to produce electricity, so that's why they needed less fuel this year.
I'm not too sure how it works, but rumors are that we may have only 3-4 loads each left to do, but i find that hard to believe, some of us run harder then others, so it wouldn't make sense, most guys here get 3 loads a week, some of the others 4 a week, so if that were true, some of us would be sitting in the yard for a couple days, while others would be running up and down the road.

I've also heard that next year, Diavik is expanding their mine operations, so they will need a lot more fuel then this year, good news !

Ben..... wanna haul fuel ?

Another problem were are having is Waite Lake, this is a 10km/hr crossing and as of last week there is open water running 50 feet from the road, and on the other side, it's busting up perdy good, flood crews are working on it daily but there is only so much they can do.
If this lake decides to give up, there is no other way to get across, so that would mean the end of the road.
Security is monitoring this lake very closely, no speeding or messing around on this one, or you will be sent home, no questions asked, no room for errors.
Also security mentioned in the past that have used "rig mats" like they use in the oil fields, to extended the life of the road ( Waite lake ) he said they had gotten an extra 10 days out of her.

I'm uploading some photos right now, will try to post a few later, while i wait for my truck to be repaired.

Later.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #1791
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,524
Would it be worthwhile to put down a rubber membrane to limit water circulation under the ice? And if it is worthwhile, would it also be worthwhile to lay down refrigerant lines on the portion that melts out first to extend the life of the road? The compressors could be run with wind power.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #1792
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Wayne, I'd be surprised if you were done that quickly. It is just about silly season up there this far into the haul and you want to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. The rumours could be true of course, but I'd wait until your dispatcher tells you you're done before you make too many plans.

Waite lake is the one that blew on us in '06 and cut the season short. As you have probably been told, there is no alternative route through that area so we are stuck with what we have. Yes, the rig mats over the blow out did buy us an extra week or so but it was bloody disconcerting driving over open water on them, I can tell you! They had security posted there 24/7 to make sure that there was no arsehattery on that lake and once when I was leading a n00b up on his first trip and we got to portage 15 (Waite is between 15 and 16 right? My memory ain't what is used to be) I told him, "Ok, there is a very strict 10 km/h speed limit right the way across this lake. Security has a radar gun pointed at your truck and a high powered rifle pointed right between your eyes so do what the signs tell you to do!"

troidus, as far as your suggestions I bet they are looking at any conceivable way to alleviate the problems that Waite Lake continues to present. The mines want a year round road built on the southern portion of the winter road (which would cover Waite Lk), but they don't want to pay for it so I hope that the GNWT (Government of the Northwest Territories) tells them to shove it up their arses!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #1793
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
Ben..... wanna haul fuel ?

You know that we could never tell anyone, right?!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #1794
tmk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Unique : What broke on your rig to have you stranded on 49 ? Rumors fly all the time so just do your thing and giver ' As far as Waite Lake goes I never could figure out why a portage wasn't built and bypass that problem chid of a lake , it is always the weakest link . Being broke down up there is never a good experience . One of the reasons I vowed not to go back up there is our costs keep going up and the rates went down a few years back . Its not an easy dollar up there especially when break downs occur . Those multi billion $ mines want their supplies but want to pay Wal mart rates .Way better $$ in the oil patch . Just my 2 bits . Have a fun night in the pub when the season is done and get defrosted !!!
tmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #1795
Unique458
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk View Post
Unique : What broke on your rig to have you stranded on 49 ? Rumors fly all the time so just do your thing and giver ' As far as Waite Lake goes I never could figure out why a portage wasn't built and bypass that problem chid of a lake , it is always the weakest link . Being broke down up there is never a good experience . One of the reasons I vowed not to go back up there is our costs keep going up and the rates went down a few years back . Its not an easy dollar up there especially when break downs occur . Those multi billion $ mines want their supplies but want to pay Wal mart rates .Way better $$ in the oil patch . Just my 2 bits . Have a fun night in the pub when the season is done and get defrosted !!!
I broke the front diff, ruined an axle and they sent in the wrong part, 4 days down and counting.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #1796
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
I broke the front diff, ruined an axle and they sent in the wrong part, 4 days down and counting.

Pity about the money losing downtime, but plenty of time to post piccies.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #1797
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
pity about the money losing downtime, but plenty of time to post piccies.
+1!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #1798
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,673
Thanks for the pics.
This thread reminds me how much I hate snow & winter.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #1799
Unique458
Adventurer

Just got back at 2 AM this morning from my last load I am reloaded with a load of used oil heading out later on today after supper for Edmonton to deliver my used oil. Then to drop off my trailers at the yard and off to my bosses place in Manitoba then home should be home by the weekend.
I've gotten 21 loads this year And a total of six days down time so not too bad for the first season I guess from talking to other drivers if I can come back next year will try to do 25, 25 I think would be a good number to shoot for, It would have been possible for 25 this year but I did have some breakdown so we'll see what happens next year.

Once back at home and all settled in , I will share my pictures and elaborate on some of my stories a little more for you guys.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1800
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,590
Thanks, that's really cool.

Have a safe trip.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: