User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #1831
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,886
Nostalgia perhaps? There are a handful running around this part of the world too, one in particular does look sharp. Could be folks just wanting to be different I suppose.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #1832
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
In the past 4-6 weeks I've done a few runs back and forth across SE Ontario and Quebec and I've noticed quite a few COE rigs on the highways.

Is there as resurgence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Nostalgia perhaps? There are a handful running around this part of the world too, one in particular does look sharp. Could be folks just wanting to be different I suppose.
Maybe they do a lot of city work and want the tighter turning radius.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #1833
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I don't see these "flat front" cabover tractors in the U.S. much anymore. They used to be popular because they shortened the overall rig length (or let you have a longer trailers), I think, but they seem to have gone out of favor, maybe because they're less aerodynamic? Anyone know?

The only reason we run the American cabovers here in Oz is to keep inside the overall length laws. Short bonnet conventionals are also used, but all the big line hall outfits run cabovers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 02:49 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #1834
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,766
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Cab overs ROCK!!!!!
This one road like a million bucks
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #1835
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Maybe they do a lot of city work and want the tighter turning radius.
Plenty of people here doing city work with conventionals too, though.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1836
gsd4me
90% bluff

We've been Running B triples (as we call them) for some years in Australia. They are more stable, with less sway that a double road train due to not having a dolly between the trailers.

Taken in 2009 on the Eyre Highway (Nullabor Plain), South Australia.

This one has two A trailers (from a B double) and one B trailer.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #1837
gsd4me
90% bluff

Not sure of the length of the front ones, but the rear is 45 foot (I think). I don't drive them that big.
Naturally, the load carrying area is smaller than on the rear trailer as the turntable has to be fitted.

gsd4me screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 05:33 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #1838
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
2013 Ice Road

I arrived in YK at 5:45am, i sort of got some sleep out on the portages while the road was blocked, but not enough, 5 to 6 hrs a day so far, seems it's catching up to me, but goto keep going and make some money, and prove my worth.

So 5:45am do the paper work thing, off to get reloaded, and book a tee time at 10:40am.
As i go up the ice nothing too exciting, stopped at Lockhart to grab a quick bite to eat, some coffee, and head out to Hotel 49.

It's about 7 hrs from YK to Lockhart, and 8 from Lockhart to Diavik, Once you leave Lockhart the only place Security wants you to stop is portage 49, so your committed to a 6 - 6.5 hrs drive, and when you tired, it a very long 6 hrs.

While on Mackay lake, we were chatting up a storm to stay somewhat lively, and we could hear others chatting also. There was about 2 hours let before the end of mackay, and i was really getting tired, even the conversation was not enough, anyways, the group ahead of us on the lake were chatting it up , and one fellow was saying he was hurtin really bad, was having a hard time keeping awake, and didn't know if he could make it to 49.
So they were talking to him helping him to stay awake, and there's only so much to talk about cause if you travel with the same group, you've spoken about everything anyways. A few minutes later the conversation died and not long after you here on the C.B. ............. "Ahhhh! fuck" " guys i'm in the snow bank" , well needless to say he wasn't sleepy any more, a bit of adrenaline will do the trick, now wide awake and stuck in the snowbank, he had fallen asleep and drifted off the road, you would be surprised to see how many times this happened in the first 2 weeks.
I felt bad for him, he was tired like i was, and it could have been just as easily me then it was him, once on mackay your committed to the end, ( if you can make it ) it's a challenge into itself.

3:00 Am We get to hotel 49, for some much needed sleep, another 22-23 hrs day in the books.

Day 14 : Up and at em at 8:30am ( 5.5hrs sleep ) off to the mine to deliver some fuel, it took 3 hrs to off load today.

On my way back stopped at Lockhart again to eat, then down to YK, the trip was great no hold up's just a straight shot back to YK, the Northern lights were out dancing around again, giving us a memorable show.

By the time i got back to YK it was too late to refuel ( closed ), it was 2:30am so i got my papers and got in line for an early morning 6am reload.

The next morning i got reloaded and brought the truck in for some minor issues, i cant't remember what for.
I left town with load #4 on my back, that will give me 3 loads this week , which is good considering i had 3 breakdowns.

Day 15:

The temperature warmed up today -6.....a week ago it was -40,quite a difference, we were supposed to leave ( tee time ) 1pm, but they shut down the road due to a storm brewing up north, He He He, here it was -6 and a nice sunny day, and road closed.

We wont know if the roads open back up until late tonight, so i went to bed to get some rest ,incase we get to word to leave super early, my repairs are done and ready to leave at a moments notice!

some shots of the road:

This one particular spot on the road there was always a few ravens out looking for some free handouts, they would literally fly a couple feet from your window, Ben could confirm to this.

Mackay when it's nice out

Getting close to the mine

Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #1839
gsd4me
90% bluff

Speaking of the Fr8liner Argosy......

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post

.........which we weren't, but here are a couple of shots I took today.

gsd4me screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #1840
Unique458
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
Why did it take 3hrs to unload? Line-up or problem?

Some days it took more time then other's for some reason, but most times it was an hour to an hour and a half.

If i remember correctly, when it took 3 hrs or so it was because we were brought to the " Dark side " He He or the northern side of the mine, you had to wait to get Marshaled to and from the off load site.

When this was the case we were watched very closely so that we would not go where we weren't supposed to, we had to play follow the leader
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #1841
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
we had to play follow the leader
Hope you had your four-ways on!!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #1842
Unique458
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Hope you had your four-ways on!!

Yes sir! i did..........if you don't they'll let you know in a hurry, for the most part they are a good bunch up there, just the odd a**hole here and there.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #1843
Unique458
Adventurer

Laugh 2013 Season

Day: 16

I was glad i got to sleep early, 3:30 Am, More coffee and a quick bite to eat, have to be at Nuna for 3:50am, for a 4:20am departure.( You have to be at Nuna dispatch 30min before you leave ).

I was only an hour up the road and, i couldn't seem to wake up, so tired, lack of sleep is catching up to me, yesterday i slept from 3pm to 6pm in the afternoon, then went to bed at 8pm to 3:30am, you would think i'de be well rested.

Another little while and it should pass, on our way north talk on the C.B. is that they have opened up the secondary road, so we'll get to take it on our way home tomorrow. The secondary road is ment to relieve some of the oncoming traffic on the Ingrham and on the first part of the ice, when you meet traffic on the ice you must slow down to 10KM/HR, with the secondary open there will be only a couple spots where you will meet up with oncoming traffic, and having the Ingrham to yourself will be a good deal.

As we were nearing the end of Mackay lake today, we were hearing on the C.B. that on portage 52 there was a tanker that got to close to the edge of the road and rolled over, so the road was closed, and we were to stop at 49 to wait for the all clear. It was truck from the other company that was involved ( never a dull moment up here ). We just got to 49 and only waited a few minutes, and got the go-ahead to continue on, road was now passable.

I remember that it was a bit warmer the last day or so, and it was strange how different it was to drive on the ice, to describe it best , it was the difference between driving your car on the pavement ( on cold days -40 ), and driving your car on sand ( on warmer days -10 / -15 ) the ruck had to work harder to get the load down the road.....strange.

At Diavik, it was the fastest unload time yet, ( and the only time also ) 1h 15m we were in - unloaded - and on our way south, i was hoping it was gonna be like this more often. We drove on to hotel 49 for some sleep.

Day: 17

Got up next morning, Lockhart ( Breakfast ) south to YK. Today we get to roll down the secondary, Secondary is ment for southbound empty trucks only, no loaded allowed, from the start of the secondary it's gonna take us 4 hrs to get to YK.

My first trip down the secondary, i could not believe that they were purposely sending trucks down this " trail" it was literally like driving a truck down a trail ment for a 4-wheeler, except it was wider, i thought to myself WTF! this is no place for a big truck, i though for sure that i was not gonna make it out of this trail without breaking something on the truck. It was horrible.

The last portage on route was a down hill adventure into it self, it was safer to coast down the hill in neutral, then slow down afterwards, then to try to maintain a speed going down, you would just lockup your wheels at even the though of touching your brakes, it was very slippery.

Not a half hour after we got into town, were heard that trucks were jack-knifing left and right, i was glad no one in front of me messed up.

Back in town one of the drivers in our gang, apparently was a bit to verbal about the quality of the food at Lockhart, and that got him suspended for 5 day off the ice...........that's a lot of lost money.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #1844
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post

Back in town one of the drivers in our gang, apparently was a bit to verbal about the quality of the food at Lockhart, and that got him suspended for 5 day off the ice...........that's a lot of lost money.
That kind of shit is one of the things I detest about that job, that expressing an opinion gets you a holiday. How pathetic. Sometimes it reminds me of being in primary school.

Having said that I have always found the quality of the food at Lockhart to be very good, although I did hear from someone this year that there was one new chef who wasn't much to write home about.

squonker screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 09:33 PM
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #1845
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
This is fascinating stuff...

ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread