Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #256
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doloe2
Wow! I stumbled across this thread a few days ago and just finished it.
Too cold for me so I'm glad you posted lots of pics.
Do some of the loads have to be heated to keep the contents from freezing?
It's not like their smuggling illegals over the border.... Right?

But seriously, that's a good question..

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #257
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
I wondered whether I could ask for a little help, call it market research. Below is a list of names of people who have posted on this thread, and I'm trying to ascertain who got bored, gave up, or is still checking in. If your name is on the list below (and I apologise for any typos), and you're still following along, would you be so good as to let me know? Much appreciated.

GSD4ME

I`ve just come back. Last thing I read was that you were going to stop posting for a while until things started up again. Had a bit of a peek tonight and see that you have resumed posting, so I will be making daily checks from now on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #258
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
I'm still here, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doloe2
Wow! I stumbled across this thread a few days ago and just finished it.
Too cold for me so I'm glad you posted lots of pics.
Do some of the loads have to be heated to keep the contents from freezing?
Hi Doloe2, thanks for reading the thread and apologies for taking my time to get back to you. (Apologies to everyone, actually, as I've hardly had time to stop and breathe since the weekend). I haven't heard of any loads having to be heated, but you can bet that some groceries would have to be to stop them being ruined by freezing. About the closest I ever got to a heated load was when that mining equipment was pre-heated on the way to Diavik. The diesel is P50 (arctic grade), so that won't wax in our temps, and even the houses in NWT communities use that when it's a cold snap. The mines do so year round, I believe. Did I ever say that each of the big mines needs about 40 million litres of diesel each year? Wowzers.

Anyway, I think illegal immigrants would have to exceedingly desperate to come to Canada to want to get a ride to the arctic in winter! Good line, mcchester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
I`ve just come back. Last thing I read was that you were going to stop posting for a while until things started up again. Had a bit of a peek tonight and see that you have resumed posting, so I will be making daily checks from now on.
Hey GSD4ME - no biggie, I was just wondering who was still around and who had lost interest. Glad to see you're still checking in once in a while - appreciated. You get to take a breather while I'm at winter camp and then on the ice itself again. After Easter, though, you shoudl innundated with new pics and stories....!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #259
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 590
Hey squonker,I'm still here as well.
I keep checking to see what ya do when the ice begins to melt..
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #260
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,566
Very cool thread. I drive small trucks for UPS and have thought about the pucker factor while delivering during snowstorms. This winter has been tough for me. I started the season with pneumonia (I was home sick the entire month of November) and it seems like everytime I bump into someone with a cold, I catch it.

I would think that the hardest part is dealing with the boredom of driving 25 kph for miles (kilometers) on end.

Tom B
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #261
mchester
Honda Cult Member

[quote=squonker]Anyway, I think illegal immigrants would have to exceedingly desperate to come to Canada to want to get a ride to the arctic in winter! Good line, mcchester/quote]

Thanks, I'm a semi-professional smart-ass as a side job... Doesn't pay much though.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #262
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
End of Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by awryders
Hey squonker,I'm still here as well.
I keep checking to see what ya do when the ice begins to melt..
10-4 awryders, good to see you're still here, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
Very cool thread. I drive small trucks for UPS and have thought about the pucker factor while delivering during snowstorms. This winter has been tough for me. I started the season with pneumonia (I was home sick the entire month of November) and it seems like everytime I bump into someone with a cold, I catch it.

I would think that the hardest part is dealing with the boredom of driving 25 kph for miles (kilometers) on end.
Hi Tom, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well, and I hope things clear up for you soon. May I suggest you take a cup of warm milk and two hookers and go to bed? Call your doctor in the morning if symptoms persist.

I dunno, I really don't mind the 25km/h thing. There's always secenery, and south of Lockhart the portages can be a little technical so there's usually something to keep your concentration where it should be. Admittedly, once you're above the treeline things are different, but it's still beautiful. No doubt about it though, Mackay Lake is a bastard whatever mood you're in! Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchester
Thanks, I'm a semi-professional smart-ass as a side job... Doesn't pay much though.
I've always fancied a job doing that, as I think I'd be a natural. Shame about the $$$ - guess I'd have to keep on truckin' to make ends meet, huh?
BTW, I forwarded that Element stuff to Larry, who said he's passed it on to Mrs. Larry.

Well, this is a bit of a marking point here because on Monday morning (25th) I'm off to winter camp for 12 days, and this will be my last post (cue trumpets) before then. (I urge you not to let your grief get in the way of your daily lives, and to be strong ) When I get back I'll have a day, maybe two, at home before I head to YK and out onto the ice. If I still have all my fingers when I get back from camp perhaps I'll drop a line in then just to get this thread back to the first page for a day or so, and if I can I'll throw in the odd comment from Yellowknife (not sure if there's internet at the house I'll be staying in). But, when I get back from YK it should be that I'm loaded down with fresh photos, and veritable armloads of stories which with to warm your hearts and regale you!

So, before I post what are coincidentally my last three pictures, I just want to say that this has been a hoot, and I've really enjoyed myself. Thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread so far, it is very much appreciated. You've made it what it is, and I look forward to continuing with Part 2 in April. Until then...

Take care, everyone. Thank you.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #263
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
I'll be here when ya get back. Looking forward to some more great pics and reporting of your new adventure. If your travels ever bring you south I have a six pack with your name on it. Good luck and stay safe bud!
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #264
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Interestingly, a few days ago a friend sent me an e-mail that contained aerial photos of the Diavik Mine, one taken in summer and the other in the winter, with traces of the ice road visible on the lake.

The caption with the photos noted that the mine has its own airstrip, long enough to land a 737 jet. A virtual small town in the middle of nowhere!
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #265
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,036
Dam, some day that's gonna be one hell of a swiming pool!
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #266
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Very nice shots...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #267
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I got that email a few days ago as well and just managed to get to it today, which made me think of Squonker's thread so I popped in to check on it.

Squonkster, don't freeze anything off yourself that you might need some day.

And see if you can dig up some more choice morsals about the TV show while you're mixin with the ice truckin set. I just love to learn inside stuff before the season starts.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #268
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
I've always fancied a job doing that, as I think I'd be a natural. Shame about the $$$ - guess I'd have to keep on truckin' to make ends meet, huh?
I've been trying to get a job at a "think tank." I can think with the best of them, I'm always thinking. Now, I just need to get paid for it.

Tom B
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #269
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
I've been trying to get a job at a "think tank." I can think with the best of them, I'm always thinking. Now, I just need to get paid for it.

Tom B
So be honest. Do you get pissed when they say, "penny for your thoughts"?
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #270
Doog
The Complete Squid

Oddometer: 101
This thread is really cool -just stumbled on it yesterday! Thanks, Squonker!

I'm a former Gas Wrangler - used to drive B trains full of gas and diesel to stations all through SW British Columbia, and have always been a truck nut. So stumbling across this thread on ADVRider was really a mind blower!

OK - not to hijack the thread, but I've been trying to find out info on European trucks: what they are like to drive, what are the weights they run (they seem so small!), etc.
Anybodyu pass off info - like a truckers site (beside the manufacturers sites) - where I can find out more?

And now back to the ice ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: