Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 178 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #661
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Hey inverted - that cap arrived yet?
yessir, just got it today....good stuff.
inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #662
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
In the end I didn't have to hide because when I called dispatch for a t-time they said the road was closed for 24 hrs for repairs while it's so cold. For that reason I didn't bother moving my truck, and Carl called in the middle of the night when he noticed it was still there. He didn't know about the closure and was pretty mad that I hadn't left again yet! All is good now....) I slept for a long time ( but not long enough!) and am out again in 90 mins.

Glad you got the hat, inverted - thanks again for those stickers.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #663
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Lots of shit going on. Bad shit. One driver fired for throwing a cigarette butt out of his window at Diavik. Another for only slowing down (as opposed to coming to a complete stop) at a stop sign at Diavik. Apparently one more for throwing away an empty oil container in the wrong grabage can at either BHP or Snap Lake.The guy I ran with yesterday was pulled over on the Ingraham Trail by the RCMP heading back to Yellowknife with a backhaul. They checked his log book, and when they found everything in order they actually called Lockhart camp to see whether he'd left there when it said he had in his book. That is the last straw for me...more about that later when the season is over. Carl says the load count is back up now but we hear so many stories and rumours that I won't believe anything until I've checked it out or see it for myself.
I had heard that some of the places up north were quite anal about littering but wow. Has there been too much playing with log books that the mounties are checking them closer?
agplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #664
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

They rarely even let me get home these days! Alive, but going 24/7.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #665
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Hey Ben, so sorry you aren't getting a break. sleep well when you do!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #666
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Had planned on writing up trip #2 this evening as I'm actually at home for a few hours, but then I ended up doing an interview by email and had to type all my answers...now I have to go to bed while I still can. Literally can not remember the last time I slept at home (as opposed to in my truck). Have not even come home between trips every time...

Had great fun today running with two drivers working for the company I was with in my first seasion. We started a rumour that had the radio alive with chatter and I just about pissed myself laughing. The three of us are booked out together tomorrow morning, all carrying cement to Diavik so it should be interesting...!

This will be trip #14. Although officially the last word was that we'll only get 15 each, I am fairly condfident that I will get 20 at least. We'll see.

Had a cold snap last week (down to -44c at one point) and there were dead trucks parked all along the road every single one a Mack, if you're interested). Much warmer today (-10c) and very very slippery.

Must sleep.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #667
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Hey Ben, so sorry you aren't getting a break. sleep well when you do!!
I had to giggle at your custom title, can you tell us the story while we wait for Ben's next ice road update?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #668
inverted
Berwyn rocks

lol...fitting that your radio shenanigans are post #666.......feeling mischievous?

have a good rest man. be safe
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #669
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 312
[quote=
Had a cold snap last week (down to -44c at one point) and there were dead trucks parked all along the road every single one a Mack, if you're interested). Much warmer today (-10c) and very very slippery.

Must sleep.[/quote]

What's up with the sleeping dogs, are the fuel filters hung out in the breeze? I ran across a picker truck near Rainbow Lake last Wed. that had gelled up a -40. I stopped and talked to the mechanic on site (who I knew) and he figured the fuel tanks were mounted too far back on the frame with no wind protection so the return fuel couldn't put enough heat in the tanks to keep the fuel warm enough. He said later that week when I saw him again that I had been the only traffic to stop and check him out. Oh well, you do what you can. Take care.
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #670
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted
lol...fitting that your radio shenanigans are post #666.......feeling mischievous?

have a good rest man. be safe
Funny thing is, we'd stopped at Lockhart for breakfast and had been talking about that very thing. Not 5 hrs later the perfect opportunity presents itself, and with a bit of sharp thinking from a couple of people and one utterly perfect radio transmission from a loaded truck at the perfect time everything just fell into place....classic!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #671
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty43
What's up with the sleeping dogs, are the fuel filters hung out in the breeze? I ran across a picker truck near Rainbow Lake last Wed. that had gelled up a -40. I stopped and talked to the mechanic on site (who I knew) and he figured the fuel tanks were mounted too far back on the frame with no wind protection so the return fuel couldn't put enough heat in the tanks to keep the fuel warm enough. He said later that week when I saw him again that I had been the only traffic to stop and check him out. Oh well, you do what you can. Take care.
It's the newer Macks with EGR - apparently they simply can't maintain a high enough operating temperature when the weather gets extreme, and they shut themselves down. Of course, within an hour they're never going to start again anyway even if the weather warms up 40c.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #672
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted
I had to giggle at your custom title, can you tell us the story while we wait for Ben's next ice road update?
Hey Inverted. No story, other than I used to call my little brother that. Whenever I beat the crap out of him my punishment was to unplug the laundry chute. He would immediatly include his skid marked BVDs as soon as I was in the basement. And, if for nothing else, it makes people smile and say hello to me. thanks hello
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #673
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,344
Quote:
It's the newer Macks with EGR - apparently they simply can't maintain a high enough operating temperature when the weather gets extreme, and they shut themselves down. Of course, within an hour they're never going to start again anyway even if the weather warms up 40c.
Buddy has a new Cat with the re-burn, messes up all the time, and he's just running OTR in the US. Wouldn't surprise me if those Macks had cats.

Watching and reading...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #674
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Hey Inverted. No story, other than I used to call my little brother that. Whenever I beat the crap out of him my punishment was to unplug the laundry chute. He would immediatly include his skid marked BVDs as soon as I was in the basement. And, if for nothing else, it makes people smile and say hello to me. thanks hello
ah, I see....I've been stuck with that nickname for a few years. my story not so innocent....

Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #675
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,014
I`ve been thinking for some time that an older truck with hardly any environmental stuff on it would be good up there. Rebuilt with better suspension, decent seat and weather proofing. A twin stick gearbox would provide the ratios needed and there would be no air lines there to freeze. Maybe lower gear diff centres while the season is on with higher speed one used during the rest of the time. Comments?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: