Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 209 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #61
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Hi BlueLightning,

I haven't seen the show yet (still waiting for my DVD to arrive), but I expect it is embellished because that would make better TV. It's not a hard job other than the weather and the sleep deprivation, really. Although going through the ice is a possibility, I don't think it's a very strong one. So yeah, I'm sure it's not as hard as they make out in the show, but don't tell anyone else who reads this thread that!
Yeah, every show of course focused around the possibility that a truck could go through the ice. I'm sure everyone knows the possibility is there, but they just took it to the extreme! LOL It was pretty cool to see the high tech equipment they use to measure the thickness of the ice.

The other thing they focused on several times other then the wave you talked about earlier was how bad it was for trucks to sit and idle on the ice due to the engine vibrations making cracks. But then several times in the show, someone would wipe out (Charlie's Hill or other portages) and block the road in both directions and you would have multiple trucks that would get backed out onto the ice sitting there for hours running. It just seems that wasn't as big as a threat as they made it out to seem since 100+ trucks sitting on the ice didn't fall through after a couple hours, then that seems pretty good to me! LOL

Keep the pictures and stories coming! It looks like you figured out how to do multiple pics in one post which is great!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #62
RockinXJ
gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer: 175
Thumb Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid
Great pictures, I love this stuff. When you park for any amount of time you must have the brakes off? What do you do if they all froze. I drug a trailer a 1/4 mile once in Calgary after getting pissed off beating the drums with a sledge hammer to no avail. Which make is the truck of choice up there? I'm guessing Kenworth with a cat engine?
Your beating the wrong part. just tap on the shoe and not the drum.

Breaks 'em loose every time.

edit: I see somone already mentioned that. Should have read on.

Great thread sqounker.

RockinXJ screwed with this post 09-27-2007 at 01:55 PM
RockinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #63
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
You should have seen what the Kamikaze Trail was like back in the mid 70s! I have a few pictures from back in my truck driver days that I should dig out!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #64
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,991
I never thought of that!

[quote=BlueLghtning] The other thing they focused on several times other then the wave you talked about earlier was how bad it was for trucks to sit and idle on the ice due to the engine vibrations making cracks. But then several times in the show, someone would wipe out (Charlie's Hill or other portages) and block the road in both directions and you would have multiple trucks that would get backed out onto the ice sitting there for hours running. It just seems that wasn't as big as a threat as they made it out to seem since 100+ trucks sitting on the ice didn't fall through after a couple hours, then that seems pretty good to me! LOL

Wow - I always wondered why they were so keen that we don't stop on the ice, but I'd always assumed it was just because there was a chance (however minimal) that the ice would happen to give way. I never heard of idling causing vibrations that crack the ice, but why not? It also seems highly unlikely, but then people do go through for no apparent reason (like Gary in 2004), so maybe they have a point. Stopping on the ice never bothered me (other than that if I were caught Security wouldn't be happy with me!), but maybe it should in the future! You have to think, that ice is a good thickness and any vibration would surely be deadened by the tires, but heck - I've been wrong before. And yes, when someone spins out there are a few people that are sometimes caught out on the ice. Word usually goes back over the radio pretty quickly so that people can stop on the portage they're on, or the one they're heading toward if it's not already full, but generally these things never last long. I don't think I've been held up for more than an hour, but I could just be lucky too. Thanks for bringing that to my attention - I'll have to find out more.

Here's a pic of me stopped on the ice on the way back from Lupin. Mom's the word!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #65
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Chocks away!

Hey Rockinxj and RDJEFF. Welcome aboard, and yep - dig out those pics, I'd love to see them!

Today's pics are a hodge-podge (whatever that is!)

A view from the cab

Although quite why I took a pic of what is basically a box of tissues, I don't know.

Here's dynamite being unloaded at Diavik.

People say, "You hauled dynamite? Isn't that dangerous?" Why? What's it going to do - get hot and explode?

Having unloaded a set of trains worth of prill at BHP.

I hate hauling that shit. They always stick that top layer of bags on (see pic of Western Star in earlier post) and you spend the whole trip worrying that they're going to fall off. It may take 45 mins to wind all these straps back up again, but at least you know you're going to go and have a good meal then either sleep or head home again afterwards.

This is me trying to take an interesting shot. What makes it cool to me is that it is on the Lupin road, so this is very near the arctic circle.

I was thinking of something poetic to say about the arctic sun, but I won't embarrass myself.

No comment (for the same reason).

This is the cab of the Western Star, probably of no interest to anyone whatsoever, but there you go.

And this is the Resources Wildlife and Economic Development (RWED) station that we pass by at the southern end of the road. These guys check that the private hunters are behaving themselves with regard to tag limits, proper disposal of carcasess etc.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #66
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
Awesome thread squonker. I love this stuff, keep it up.
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #67
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Keep it up. I am liking this stuff. Do they allow you to take passengers? My Bro drives for Trimac and owns his own truck but strictly no passengers. It kills him he cant take his 2 grandsons.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #68
peter-denmark
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wow could be a cool job to have for a season.

Is it hard for foreigners to get a job/work permit?

I have what I belive must be an equivalent to the Class 1 driving license (the "biggest" licens you can obtain in Europe, which we in Denmark call "CE")
peter-denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #69
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Wow! What a thread. This is much better than the TV show.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #70
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

That pisses me off!

Shit. I had been typing for ten mins or so answering questions, then I don't know what I did but suddenly my browser shut itself down and I lost everything. And it wasn't just about the ice - I had revealed the secret to eternal life and the basics of alchemy too. Oh well, now you'll never know.

Well, I also said 'hello' to Klay, galute, Peter-Denmark and 'nice to see you again' to kootenaykid. Kkid -I don't know about passengers, dude. I was always told no way jose, not under any circumstances. But there are circumstances - obviously cameramen and journalists have been passengers, and then the last season I drove my boss said he had his own insurance and that we could take a girlfriend (or someone else's girlriend ) along for a ride. That bit about some else's girfriend is a joke. Kind of - one of his guys was always painfully slow and we'd forever have to stop and wait for him to catch up, which or course pissed us off no end. In the end we all tried to lose him so that he'd have to run with someone else...but the point is that he did bring his girlfriend along on one trip. I suggested that the truck in front carry his girlfriend instead, then he'd be chasing us up and down the road and guaranteed to keep up!

Peter-Denmark, you have to speak to Canada Immigration, not me. There are foreign guys on the road, but I don't know whether they live here or not. Sometimes in Canada it's hard to find anyone who was actually born here (ha! little in-joke there!) but I can't really talk 'cos I emigrated myself from The Mother Land. Can I be immigrant-ist if I'm one myself? Does that make me qualified to speak on the issue, or a huge-ass hypocrite? Sorry I can't help you. Edit: you know what, there is one thing I can suggest. PM on the way...

Klay - better than the TV show? Wowzers, thanks dude! My DVD still hasn't turned up from the History Channel yet. I checked my mail yesterday (usually only do so once a week), but perhaps it'll be an excuse to take the KLR to the Post Office during the week. But...it is snowing right now and it's supposed to be -6c tonight so I might have to put the old girl away instead.

galute - thanks for the kind words.

And I have a question for you guys - what does it mean when someone says YMMV to you in a post? I have a horrible feeling it isn't nice.

Today's pics...let's see what I uploaded.

Hmmm...that looks like a truck. What's next?

Ok, the more observant among you will have noticed that in every shot of this Freightliner, the front bumper is definitely not as it should be. Is it possible that someone fell asleep on Mackay Lake and went into the snow bank? Sadly, yes, but that's a story for another day. What troubles me is that there appear to be no surviving shots of the rig before the unplanned side trip off the road!

That's us stuck up at Diavik again. Mine's the fourth nose from the camera. Ugliest truck on the road? Pretty close, I'd think!

Another 'heartbreaker' sign.

Ok, that's a blowout - cordoned off for good reason! Sometimes they just appear, and on a wide stretch of road like this you can just stay away from them. I wonder if they're really that dangerous - but not so much that I plan on testing one!

A lone caribou. This one had been slipping and sliding on the ice coming towards us before it went into the snow. I have a pic of a herd of 'em somewhere, and will post it later.

And today's last entry:

An Atlas Copco underground loading shovel I took to Diavik. There's a name for these things, but I can't remember what it is. I called it a 'pooper-scooper'. I took a pic of the inside of the cab, too, and will dig that out one day.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #71
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
what does it mean when someone says YMMV to you in a post?
Your Mileage May Vary. It has been generalized to mean your results, in whatever you're up to, may vary depending on circumstances.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #72
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
This is awesome. Wonder what the DR would do up there? Would have to beat this Texas heat!
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #73
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thanks for the explanation, Klay - I feel better knowing I wasn't being insulted without even knowing it!

Howdy treysmagma! The Texas heat - man I was reading kaneman's thread over the summer and some of the temps he posted - yikes. I've become accustomed to these cooler climes, I think. Anything over 25c and I'm out for the count! But I did get to go for a short ride today, between snowshowers...

I was going to write more than I will, but I got to reading that 'Rude Fools' thread and became hooked. I have some pics, and will write more another day.

That cabin you can see on the left of the road is the RWED station that the sign a couple of posts back belongs to (does that make any sense?) The sign is on the right of the road there.

Pink snow? I only heard about the yellow stuff...

Now this looks like it might hurt...

These are my friends Reg and Charlie. Reg is going to sell me his truck for the '09 season, I hope. He wants to buy a real one (the one he's selling is a Sterling)!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #74
Ducky 149
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Great job!!!!! I love the cold and snow. Sounds like the job for me. Keep up the thread please!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #75
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thanks Ducky! I'll keep the thread going until no-one is interested anymore or I run out of photos - which ever comes first!

Alrighty, I said that I had taken a pic of the inside of the cab of that Pooper Scooper, and here it is.

I also remembered its real name - it's either a Scoop Trans or a Scoop Tram. I do think my name is better, though, and why Atlas Copco shouldn't pay me millions to come up with other brilliant names for their equipment is beyond me. If you're the GM of Atlas Copco, PM me. We'll talk.

Here's the lower parking lot at Lockhart camp. No trains allowed in the upper lot as there often isn't much room there (but you can't see that until it's too late). If you're lucky you'll hear a friend of yours on the radio in the upper lot and you can ask him what the scoop is, but most times just make sure you have enough momentum to get up the hill, and then worry about how and where you're going to park!

The hill to the upper lot and the buildings is on the right, (just out of frame).

The main camp at Lockhart. Kitchen/dining room, showers, washrooms, laundry, tv room and dispatch.

They also have a shop (or two) there as many Nuna employees are based there (Nuna Logistics build and maintain the road)....

They don't encourage it, but if you're in a real bind you can beg, borrow or steal a gallon of antifreeze or a drip mat if you have a problem of that sort. Only stuff that really prevents you from being stuck there indefinitely. You can buy fuel here, though, but as at the mines, it ain't cheap.
One night I was hauling an overlength/overwidth something-or-other up to Snap Lake. It looked like an Atco trailer, but it had plumbing or electrical equipment or something in it. Could it have been a 'Utilidor'? That sounds like a cigar. Anyway, somewhere in it all this weight was concentrated in just the right place that the thing didn't want to stay on my trailer. I'd stop and tighten all the straps but it was slowly sliding off to the left. I stopped so many times that I ended up telling the convoy I was with just to go ahead, and joined the one after it. And then the one after that. It got to the stage where I was within an hour or so of Lockhart, but every bump I went over I thought I was going to lose the load. I started hitting snow ridges on the portages in such a way that the left hand side of the trailer would lift up, hoping that it would slide back on. Slowing down more and more, I eventually limped into the lower lot. It was dark and late by this time, and I went inside to eat and think about what I was going to do. The road into Snap Lake is stupidly hilly - to the point that it's borderline dangerous actually, but they refuse to sand it - so there was no way I was going to make it all the way in. The first two or three portages there, the only way to get over them is momentum. You're flying over these things, truck sliding one way, trailer sliding the other, praying to Dog you'll stay on the road, unable to back off the gas because of the next hill. (One day an outfit from down south was bringing a crane in on a low bed. It bottomed out on number 2 (portage #2), and the trailer promptly fell apart. The road was closed for hours.) Many people have stories to tell about the road into Snap Lake. There's a reason there's a dozer parked there permanently, always running, 30 mins drive from the mine site itself, all season long. Kinda fun if you're in the right mood, downright scary if you're in the wrong one.
Anyway, I digress. So I'm at Lockhart drinking my medicinal tea ('cos that cures everything - even trucking problems!) - feeling like an asshat for having continued going when I was so close to losing my load, but knowing that I'd be an asshat when I actually did lose it on the road to come. Ignoring the 'Keep Out' signs I went into one of the shops and found a guy working on a grader. I asked him whether he'd grab the loader and push my Utilidor back on for me. Of course I had to get up the hill between the parking lots first, and that was a little scary to say the least. But I made it, undid my straps, and when he'd centred the thing for me I re-strapped the load, properly this time. Not sure where I was when I began typing this story, but that's the kind of thing that the guys in the shop at Lockhart do - save my bacon.

This is a Hagland (or is it Haglund?) tracked people/equipment transporter. It sat on the side of the road all season, never moved.

And finally for today, a 'Hammer Lane' sign. On the longest lakes, particularly on the northern end of the road, they have these hammer lanes for empty trucks. Reduces the load on the loaded lane a little, and best of all gives you the chance to pick up a tooth or two and you think you're just flying home...at all of 60 km/h! There are sometimes some sharp-ish corners on these hammer lanes, though, and you can find yourself going through them sideways. It's good to have some fun, but if you're a little too tired...the snowbank has the scars to prove it!

I'll go look for the pics of other abnormal loads I mentioned earlier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: