Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #796
Black Ice
Sovereign Individual

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Oh, that reminds me of the time... Driving down in the states, had just crossed the Ohio River into Kentucky, a springtime Saturday morning and there was some sort of community event going on, with crowds on the sidewalks, crossing the streets at every crosswalk, etc. And there in the crowd is some little kid pumping his arm at me. Not even thinking of all the other people and how it might affect them, I instantly grabbed the cord and let loose a couple of loud toots. Right then, it was just me and that kid - the heck with the rest of them.
That's one reason I despise Volvos...no air horn cord. That's just fucking WRONG.
" --RoS
"...if you don't put your gear on, your skin will get rashed from all the leg humping." --Tinks
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #797
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXX
I'm real sorry to here that you guys are unimpressed with the Sterling truck. I used to build them until they closed our plant a few weeks back and shipped our jobs to Mexico. Alot of pride went into those trucks, it's a shame that profits come before people these days. The last truck that rolled off our line, on the frame rail, was written "Built with pride till the bitter end" The workers didn't quit on the company, they quit on us. Sorry to vent here but the trucks on the road are our legacy, if they're crap, what else do we have?
Shit, PXX, I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your job - I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'll tell you the reason I didn't like the Sterling I drove, it's not because of the build quality but the materials used: as you said yourself, profits come before people. The plastic on the dash is all cracking after just a year and you just know those trucks aren't going to be able to last as long as the ones they replaced. It's the same everywhere now - a few years ago I worked for the City of Yellowknife and occasionally ran a new D5 dozer for them. I learned to run dozers on machines that were older than I am and they were practically indestructable (good thing with me driving), but this Cat, which is perhaps a 2000 model - was just being destroyed due to its cheap, thin metal. It simply isn't tough enough to work on construction sites and I got the same impression from the Sterling.(That same Cat today looks as though it ran over a mine). But I know that most other makes would be no different and there are different specs and models, I'm aware. I was comparing one of the City's new tandem Sterlings to the one I was in and theirs was a different model (not sure of either model number) and you could see it was a tougher truck just by looking at it so perhaps if my boss hadn't cheaped out on his specs/models he might have bought something that was actually tough enough and it still could have had a Sterling badge on it.

I'm sorry man, I hope you didn't take what I wrote as a sleight against your workmanship and I wish you all the best in looking for other work.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #798
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,874

My problem is with the powerplant mostly, which of course isn't a Sterling product. Just didn't work like it should.

That, and the military spec'd it weird.

I have Sterling dump that works fine, but it has a Cat lump in it. No soundproofing kit, and it's quieter than the Detroit with the kit.

Sterling tried to do like International did in the early 90's: Get a lot of fleets by being the budget choice for ops. Seems like the problem was that they had more competition for the slot, and didn't stick with it long enough to make a name for themselves.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #799
PXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I know you guys weren't jumping on us as assemblers of that truck. Engineering makes the plans and we do the best we can. If there is a design flaw or a poor choice on the drawing board, it's beyond our control.

As for the Sterling's demise, it comes down to this. Sterling is owned by Daimler trucks, who also own Frieghtliner Western Star and Mercedes(among many other companies). The Sterling fell victim the same way Oldsmobile did at GM. Dispite JD power awards for initial quality and quality after the first year.

On the brighter side, there are alot of good people who were stuck there in the "Golden Handcuffs" (under employed but paid too much to leave) who will hopefully move on the bigger and better things. Myself, I am happy to be out of the box. Not alot of windows in a factory. I miss the people but I am loving the sunshine. Next career has to have an outdoor portion to it

It wasn't an ending but a new begining. Gidddy Up!

07 dl650 V STROM
PXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #800
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXX
Sterling is owned by Daimler trucks, who also own Frieghtliner Western Star and Mercedes.

Daimler stopped importing The Sterling brand into Australia last month. There are still new `07 build models around some sales yards.

Interestingly, the Western Star brand is not imported into Oz by Daimler but by a privately owned company. In a moments brain fade some years ago when WS was not imported here they were conned into letting this company have the rights.

Now, WS is the second biggest selling heavy truck behind Kenworth, although a long way behind.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #801
PXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Daimler stopped importing The Sterling brand into Australia last month. There are still new `07 build models around some sales yards.

Interestingly, the Western Star brand is not imported into Oz by Daimler but by a privately owned company. In a moments brain fade some years ago when WS was not imported here they were conned into letting this company have the rights.

Now, WS is the second biggest selling heavy truck behind Kenworth, although a long way behind.
The importing of the Sterling brand would have stopped last month due to discontinuation. As for the privately owned company importing the Western Stars, It may have been a pre-existing contract from the days when western star was an independant company. Daimler bought them up about 7 or 8 years ago IIRCC. It wouldn't surprise me that Daimler screwed up and gave away the rights though, They made a right royal mess when they pulled western star out of British Colombia.

07 dl650 V STROM
PXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #802
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,553
Hi there

Could you list the diiferent makes of these polar trucks? We don't hear of these names in warm med where I live. Cheers.

P.S. Enjoying your "extraterrestrial" stories a lot. Thnx.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office April 18 to 27
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #803
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

gefr,

They're not 'polar' trucks - just North American ones. The list could be far longer, but the most common ones you see (in Canada, anyway) are Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Western Star, Sterling, Mack...

The only one I can think of that we get here and you'd get there is Volvo. No doubt others might have something else to contribute to the list?

Cheers!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #804
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
The only one I can think of that we get here and you'd get there is Volvo. No doubt others might have something else to contribute to the list

I`m pretty sure America/Canada doesn`t get the same truck as is available in Europe, which is a cab over, and uses a Volvo engine exclusively.

Volvo Sweden stopped producing their conventional version for Europe (and Australia) some years ago due to lack of sales.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #805
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
I`m pretty sure America/Canada doesn`t get the same truck as is available in Europe, which is a cab over, and uses a Volvo engine exclusively.

Volvo Sweden stopped producing their conventional version for Europe (and Australia) some years ago due to lack of sales.
I think you're right.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #806
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
I think you're right.
Absolutely, I was talking about makes rather than particular trucks. Conventionals in England have always stood out like a sore thumb because there are so few of them. Length restrictions mean that they just don't have much use. When I was a kid they were practically the exclusive domain of truck shows, but these days Scania T-cabs are seemingly more and more common. Can never figure out why, 'cos although Scanias were always my fave trucks to drive (and one of the best looking), their convenionals look hideous imho. And they're horribly expensive (but they hold their value better than anything else).

Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #807
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Scania T-cabs

That`s another one that was dropped here in Oz a few years ago due to poor sales.

There`s a subbie with a few big horse V8 cabover Scania`s where I work and they sound great. Beats me why he uses them to deliver groceries, they must cost a lot to run.

Did anyone know that Volvo got their foothold in Nth America by buying the White brand? Now they own Mack as well after buying Renault trucks, which surprisingly were sold here as Mack. They were a bit of a mix and match with Mack engines and Eaton transmissions with European ergonomics and comfort.

Apparently Navistar/International (US) is the only manufacturer that doesn`t have a European owner/partner, although I hear Iveco is keen to take them over. Iveco took over the Australian arm of International Harvester some years ago and has rebadged our own International ACCO as an Iveco.

gsd4me screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 06:25 PM
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #808
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Iveco trucks suck on a whole new level.

They sold a piece of shit to us, that you can never start and if by some act of god you actually get one running, don't you dare actually put any load in the bed.

Fucker is incapable of pulling a 12% grade with two humans and a 500 lb load.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #809
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Iveco trucks suck

There`s heaps of them over here pulling B doubles on interstate etc, but I hear they have a lot of trouble with their engines, which is called the cursor engine. Maybe they should change its name to the curser.

A few years ago they had Detroit diesel engines, and all American running gear and they seemed to be OK. Now if you want a manual transmission you have to order it as an automated `box is standard. They do a lot of advertising here, which is one indication of a crook product as far as I`m concerned.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #810
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
That`s another one that was dropped here in Oz a few years ago due to poor sales.

There`s a subbie with a few big horse V8 cabover Scania`s where I work and they sound great. Beats me why he uses them to deliver groceries, they must cost a lot to run..

ahhh yes, love the sound of a v8 scania doing its thing, along with the 'pop pop pop pop ' of a 500 mack v8, chuggin along in the distance.. you can hear the things miles and miles away, school-yard memories of the grain trucks rocking along a few kays away come flooding back, whenever i hear one..
V8R is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: