User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 208 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #826
Black Ice
Sovereign Individual

Oddometer: 700
The US generally runs 'A' doubles, with a pintle hitch instead of a 5th wheel. At least with 'B' trains, you actually can back them up...!!
" --RoS
"...if you don't put your gear on, your skin will get rashed from all the leg humping." --Tinks
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #827
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,247
Hey Ben, is that a photo of you in the "faces" thread in Jo Momma? I believe it was taken at Dawson (?) when you were there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #828
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo2

Hi tommo2!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #829
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
B doubles, as we call them are big over here, 26 metre (overall length) ones even doing local work. We also have 19 metre (pocket B doubles), mostly on local fuel tanker and tipper work.

What impresses me is the way the drivers can reverse them. Where I work, they reverse coupled up, onto a loading door, break them up and put the lead trailer onto another door.

To get them onto the door in the first place, they have to come in from a 90 degree angle as there is not enough room to reverse straight in. The same goes for re-coupling; the driver has to get the lead trailer to line up, coming in from the 90 degree`s before going under the skid plate.

As dirty Harry once said "a man has to know his limitations", that`s why I have stuck with single trailers.
I like the idea of those pocket B doubles, David. I can only back them up in a straight line...Simon, whoI ran with quite a lot this season, has had years of experience on Super Bs and can do anything with them. There are a few guys I know like that - I'd love to get to that stage. Maybe after enough years on the ice....!

And yes, that is my ugly mug in the 'Faces' thread. Gorgeous, eh?!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #830
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice
The US generally runs 'A' doubles, with a pintle hitch instead of a 5th wheel. At least with 'B' trains, you actually can back them up...!!
That's just not nice! Why invent something so sadistic?! Do you know anyone who can reverse them? Maybe there's a youtube vid?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #831
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
That's just not nice! Why invent something so sadistic?! Do you know anyone who can reverse them? Maybe there's a youtube vid?
I have one in the yard. Challenging to back in the dark.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #832
Black Ice
Sovereign Individual

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
I have one in the yard. Challenging to back in the dark.
If you claim to be able to back up pintle-hitch doubles, without some sort of auxiliary device, you better take a vid and post it forthwith. I call BS.
" --RoS
"...if you don't put your gear on, your skin will get rashed from all the leg humping." --Tinks
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #833
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,247
Quote:
If you claim to be able to back up pintle-hitch doubles, without some sort of auxiliary device, you better take a vid and post it forthwith. I call BS.

In that case you wouldn`t believe a three trailer road train could be reversed.........but it can.

The auxiliary device is called skill.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 03:28 AM
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #834
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:

Believe what you like, it's a free world.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #835
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
In that case you wouldn`t believe a three trailer road train could be reversed.........but it can.

The auxiliary device is called skill.
quoted for truth.. plenty of blokes do it with doubles and tripples here in aus, day in and day out :)

i know my old man makes it look like a piece of cake, the bugger!
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #836
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R
quoted for truth.. plenty of blokes do it with doubles and tripples here in aus, day in and day out :)

I can do it, but I know I'm not in your old man's league. Not the sort of thing I do every day. And yes, I avoid it whenever possible.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #837
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Wow! Stunning picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
But first - how about this one, Klay?

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #838
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
I can do it, but I know I'm not in your old man's league. Not the sort of thing I do every day. And yes, I avoid it whenever possible.
I wouldn't be able to do it. But I remember seeing my grandpa's brothers do some pretty amazing things backing up grain wagons. It looked like a chess game. They could do it well.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #839
micq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R

I used to think I was going alright when I got to the stage where I could back a tripple [ 3 x 45 ft trailers ] onto a loading ramp or dock , until a bloke I worked with hooked up 4 trailers in the yard & backed the whole outfit into the shed .
micq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #840
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

When I was 17 I got a job on a local farm for the summer hols. Although I'd learned to drive when I was 9 I didn't have a driving license yet and was pretty chuffed to be allowed to drive the tractors on the road. I was on 'corn cart', when you take a tractor with an empty grain trailer and go out to the field, let the combine harvester unload into your trailler (on the move once you'd done it a few times stationary first), and then haul the 10 tons of grain back to the farm. I was driving a 150hp Deutz tractor, and 150hp was a pretty decent sized tractor on an English farm back then. Probably is now.

I think it was my very first load, but that could be my memory creating a better story. I brought the tractor and trailer back to the farm, and backed it into the barn expertly. I think this might well have been my first time backing a tractor and trailer and I was the glad recipient of a major case of beginner's luck. The other guys were impressed, and told me so. I hopped out of the cab, opened the tail gate and jumped back in to pull forwards a little.

As I did so, there was the most awful sound to my left, and I realized with abject horror that I'd not closed the cab door. That door, about 80% of which was glass, had connected with the stauntion at the barn door and now lay in about 100,000 pieces on the floor. Oops. The regular driver of that tractor was almost in tears (as I suspect now that I might have been, too!) I don't remember exactly what happened next, although I do remember being back out in the field with the combines. I suspect I just wasn't allowed to back the tractors into the barn any more. I do remember one day my boss was on corn-cart too and as I passed him in the field he gave me the universal 'park up' sign - he ran his finger across his throat. I didn't know at the time what that meant and thought he was saying he wanted to kill me! Possibly he was...

Now I could back five 100ft trailers, all connected with pintle hooks, up hill, in the dark, lights off, drunk. Easy. No shit!!
Yeah, well...maybe not....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: