Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #871
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Pretty sure it won't, you're below the horizon. I could be wrong though.
I'd be surprised too, but stay tuned to find out....

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #872
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
When I made my Alaska trip I bought a XM just so I would have tunes for the whole trip. I didn't know they wouldn't work that far north. Lost service on the way up somewhere around Burwash Landing and didn't get it back until I got back to Whitehorse. Sucked nearly two weeks without tunes. Dooaaaahh!!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #873
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galute
When I made my Alaska trip I bought a XM just so I would have tunes for the whole trip. I didn't know they wouldn't work that far north. Lost service on the way up somewhere around Burwash Landing and didn't get it back until I got back to Whitehorse. Sucked nearly two weeks without tunes. Dooaaaahh!!!!
That would suck! It was only luck that I bought Sirius, I had no idea at the time that XM didn't work but everyone always talked about Sirius rather than XM so that's what I went with....

Went for a drive today out on the Ingraham trail. The road was the worst I've ever seen it, just beat to shit. There is still evidence of the ice road, though. This where we turn off the Trail onto the ice for the first time...

Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #874
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Trip #13

My t-time was at 2.40am so I was up at 1am on March 1st to top off my tanks and join the north-bound line up in the yard, which consisted of....me. Well, my friend Peter was there but he was leaving at 2am so I parked behind him. Kevin in dispatch said that Nuna was booked right up until 1pm that afternoon, so to miss my t-time wouldn't be good. I noticed two of Carl's other trucks in the yard that I know were ahead of me on the list, but they weren't even hooked up to trailers so I don't know what was going on there. Hope they had something lined up. At 2.10am I made my way the 0.5 km or so to Nuna disptach, and at 2.40am we were off.

I was towards the back of a convoy, maybe last truck I can't remember, and about 20mins up the Ingraham Trail I heard a loud 'pop' and then I lost all my power. I couldn't very well stop safely where I was, but all dials and gauges read 'ok' so I crawled along at a snails pace - all the truck would do - until I reached a safe spot at kilometer 26. As luck would have it, a driver in the convoy behind us was a licensed mechanic and he stopped and helped. The problem was a simple one - my air to air - which I didn't know then but is apparently always what it's going to be once you've heard a pop like that. The lack of power was due to the fact that I was now running without my turbo. Funnily enough, Carl had tightened the very fitting which came lose the previous afternoon so I made a note to give him a hard time about that. "Righty tighty, Carl!" I had only lost half an hour, and although I had missed my convoy, there was one leaving the Meadows right as I turned up so I just kept on going right through and joined onto the tail end.

I noted that it was a beautiful day and that leaving at that time of the morning worked really well for me in terms of staying awake. The crew I was running with, none of whom I knew, was great and we chatted all the way. As a result the trip to Lockhart went by very fast and it was just like old times - for the first time this year!!

At Lockhart I let the guys I was with go ahead and I hung back a few extra minutes to run with the guy who had helped me out that morning and his friends, plus one other guy, George, from a Yellowknife company. At Diavik, when they found out what time George and I would be unloaded they asked us to hang back so that we could all run back together but there were a couple of reasons why that wasn't going to happen and one of them was that I'd learned my lesson last time I had been at Diavik - as soon as George and I (both carrying cement) were unloaded, we took off before they had a chance to find us a backhaul! The three others, all hauling fuel, would all be unloaded together and could run back together themselves.

It had actually taken only 15 minutes each to unload us and there was talk of George getting a backhaul and someone went off to look for it for him. There was a guy in the office who seemed pretty cool and he realized that George and I just wanted to get the hell out of there so he told the girls at dispatch to let us go. Nice! But while George was in his truck this guy, the dispatch girls and I all agreed that we'd tell George he had a backhaul to pick up from Lac de Gras camp on the way back. When he came into the dispatch trailer I broke the 'bad news' to him and poor old George was really upset. I said, "Look on the bright side George, we get to run back as far as Lac de Gras together" - Lac de Gras is about 15 mins drive from Diavik! He was so upset that I only let him suffer for about 5 mins and I told him the good news while we were in the drivers trailer grabbing sandwiches for the trip home. As I was getting into my truck the guy who'd been in the dispatch office came over and told me that I should tell George over the radio that it was the girls in dispatch who had played the joke on him (it was actually my idea), and that way they'd hear me blame them. I know a couple of the girls from in the office so I wasn't afraid of recriminations and told him as we were leaving the Diavik parking lot.

"Hey George, you know it was the girls' idea to play that joke on you?"
Silence. So I said,
"What, no response?" and the girls came on saying,
"Oh yeah, blame it on us why don't you!"
George replied to them, "Oh, you're good. You are really good at that" and I thought I'd continue the joke and drop George in the shit by saying,
"Good? George, that's not what you called them outside the trailer just now!"
Now the girls are in fits of laughter and George is trying to convince them that he really hadn't said anything bad...the whole thing only lasted a few minutes and we had a laugh. No doubt I'd be the brunt of some revenge if George and I ever found ourselves at Diavik together again when the same girls were on shift.

George and I did actually pull over for a little while at Lac de Gras to wait for a friend of George's who wasn't far behind, then George, John and I carried on until portage 49 where we all stopped for some sleep at 11.30 pm.

Monday March 2nd. We were up at 4.30am and ran to Lockhart for a quick breakfast before heading on. The three of us got along really well, and over breakfast we'd been talking about how a few weeks previously, while approaching Charlie's Hill, Jay (from Series 1) had said something on the radio to the driver behind him that when he'd made it up the hill, he'd come back down and help this other guy chain up. Jay was only joking, of course, 'cos the only reason you'd have to chain up for Charlie's is if you spun out, but apparently the radio had just lit up with everyone talking about the spin out at Charlie's when they'd heard the comment. Jay and co had shared a secret chuckle and John, George and I had only talked about it because it was funny how people just go nuts on the radio whenever they hear - or think they hear - about a spin out. This is relevant because...

...Not three hours later, just south of portage 15 John (leading) commented to George that portage 15 was slick and that George should 'lock up' (engage his lockers). A couple of minutes later one nortbound driver told another that it was slick out, and the other replied that they'd have to put chains on if it got any worse. (This is just idle chatter 'cos these guys were on the flat - there is no way they'd need to put chains on)...

...but remembering our conversation at breakfast, as soon as that northbound guy mentioned putting chains on I jumped at the chance to stir some shit and said,
"Are you spun out?" (knowing that mentioning a spin out would send people into a tizzy). John, quick as a flash, chimed in with,
"I'll help you chain up" and that was it - the radio just came alive with people asking who had spun out and where. And it got better. A northbound trucker asked, "Where are you spun out?" and at that exact moment a southbound loaded truck, coming onto portage 15, called his portage so when he said, "Loaded south on 15" everyone thought took it that a loaded truck was spun out southbound on portage 15.

Man, it was hilarious. Everyone was panicking and asking whether the road was blocked, could they get by? Security heard and went off to check it out and John, George and I are wetting ourselves laughing so hard. A northbound driver who is also from Yellowknife and knew us and realized what had happened drove past me leaning all the way out of his window, slapping his door in fits of laughter. In all the confusion on the radio there are several conversations going on at once and everyone just talks in one big cluster fuck so no-one actually learns anything. Several trucks went though portage 15 and said there was no spin out there, but still Security was surprised when he got there and found nothing. Then, of course, several drivers became all ronnie righteous and stated saying that it wasn't very funny to say you were spun out when you weren't, but no one had actually said, "I'm spun out". The three of us had a great laugh about it when we stopped at the Meadows to clean off our lights before hitting the Ingraham Trail. If that one guy, Bullnose Bob, hadn't happened to call his potrage at the perfect time, or if he'd realised that everyone thought it was him that was spun out and had corrected the situation, it all would have failed. Priceless - the few that knew were talking about that for days .

We made it back to town for 2pm and were told to join the line up for cement. There were 5 or 6 trucks in front of us which meant a long wait, but John, George and I helped eachother with our straps and that saved a lot of time. The tree of us booked out together for 7.20am - the earliest time that there was space for three trucks but we had got along so well that we thought it was worth losing a few hours for the chance to run together again - and then it was off to bed.

A bit blurry 'cos it was taken on the move

This is either portage 1 or 2 on the Snap Lake road

Old 05-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #875
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
It is 85 fricking degrees out in Southern Missouri, I am drenched with sweat from garden work, and I cam in for a drink and rest a bit. I have to say that I really enjoy the ice road pictures today.

Thanks

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #876
CruisnGrrl
Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer: 234
Hahah love the confusion you caused on the radio.

My RFS Page
CruisnGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #877
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,695

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #878
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Doooode, you're gonna get yer butt kicked!!!! Nice work funny pants. Glad you guys keep yourselves occupied without causing too much havoc.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #879
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
great stuff!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #880
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is 85 fricking degrees out in Southern Missouri, I am drenched with sweat from garden work, and I cam in for a drink and rest a bit. I have to say that I really enjoy the ice road pictures today.

Thanks

Rod
Glad I could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl
Hahah love the confusion you caused on the radio.
Gotta get your kicks while you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Doooode, you're gonna get yer butt kicked!!!! Nice work funny pants. Glad you guys keep yourselves occupied without causing too much havoc.
Would definitely have had my pee pee slapped if we'd been busted, but in all the confusion on the radio it's easy enough to remain anonymous (I have to be a little more careful because of my accent - makes it harder to hide!), but as long as we kept it amongst ourselves and laughed in private we were pretty safe. Maybe broadcasting the whole episode on the internet wasn't such a smart move....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
great stuff!
Thank you for reading....the season gets a whole lot more interesting from here on in...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #881
GS4ME
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Looking forward to more antics and stories!!

Glad your still posting Ben.
GS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #882
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker

Thank you for reading....the season gets a whole lot more interesting from here on in...
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #883
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Do tell!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #884
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS4ME
Looking forward to more antics and stories!!
Especially the Antics, we want more antics... Please?

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #885
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Aaah yes, the antics...

For some reason my mind has gone blank right now and I can't remember any specifics, but from this point on I actually began to have fun and when I read my notes and remember why I'll write it up! I can promise you at least one more antic, though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: