Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #961
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Squonker,

I just found this thread a few days ago and read the whole thing.

The highest complement I can say is " you, sir, are the Peter Egan of the Ice Roads"

Thank you for many hours of pleasure. If you ever come to southern Germany, you will be welcome in my home for a drink, a meal or a stay.

I look forward to more of your adventures.
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #962
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls_rider
Squonker,

I just found this thread a few days ago and read the whole thing.

The highest complement I can say is " you, sir, are the Peter Egan of the Ice Roads"

Thank you for many hours of pleasure. If you ever come to southern Germany, you will be welcome in my home for a drink, a meal or a stay.

I look forward to more of your adventures.
Thanks kfalls, mighty kind of you! You never know...I do plan to take a bike tour of Europe one day while I'm in the U.K. visiting my parents. (Of course I couldn't take the KLR as it is left hand drive and therefore not suitable for England ). What's with your profile saying you're in Oregon? I plan to ride down that way one day too...

I should be able to get the next trip written up tomorrow....

Cheers.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #963
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I lived in Oregon for a few years and still own a motel there.(very bike friendly) My wife is Italian and this is closer to her family and friends. The Allgau region of Germany is one of the most beautiful places on earth. While in Oregon I owned a KLR and a Weestrom. Great riding to be had there. You will enjoy it.

Now, back to you
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #964
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Shoot, I'm not going to get the next trip written up today, but I have this:

Remember this truck?

It was first driven by Barry, who was fired having been busted in a hammer lane with a load on, and then when DJ found a replacement driver the above happened.

It was on portage 25 at the top of Charlie's Hill. The new driver (who's name I can't remember now) was heading south and as soon as he got onto the portage had to go to the right to let another, loaded northbound, truck pass. It is a little narrow there but there is room, however he pulled over a little too far and hit a rock that was hidden under the snow with a front wheel. Because it was below -40c the whole front axle simply snapped, and that was that. Here's where it happened.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #965
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls_rider
I lived in Oregon for a few years and still own a motel there.(very bike friendly) My wife is Italian and this is closer to her family and friends. The Allgau region of Germany is one of the most beautiful places on earth. While in Oregon I owned a KLR and a Weestrom. Great riding to be had there. You will enjoy it.

Now, back to you
I am originally from the Allgaeu region, it is indeed very pretty. Too bad Germany is overpopulated.

I am really enjoying this thread, even though I can happily live without snow and ice, especially since my knees no longer tolerate skiing or ice-skating.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #966
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
still onboard and enjoying the ride big time!! ive changed pc's, so been out for a couple of weeks, loved the updates!!

for those hanging for some more truckin stories, heres a short piece that an ABC radio reporter put together for utube when he went touring with my old man a couple of yrs ago..

keep it coming, Ben!

V8R screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 03:38 AM
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #967
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,054
Great stuff V8R. I`ll be mixing it out there with the big jiggers on the Nully towards the end of next month. I`m heading off to the annual "border run", at the WA/SA Border Village. The run was started way back in the `70`s so West Aussie riders could meet riders from the eastern states.

There`ll be three in our group, an R80GSPD, 1200GS adventure, and me on a black 1100GS. If any Aussie truckies see us, give us a yell, we will all be on channel 40.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #968
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Trip # 18

Nice one, V8R! I'm sure your old man knows all about the sun...

Fri March 13/09

So, trip #18. Not sure what would have happened had I not parked up in the quarry without telling anyone I was back, but my plan worked. At 6am I called Tom to tell him I had just got back to town ( ) and he gave me a bunch of fuel in drums, in a reefer, to take to Diavik. Actually the fuel turned out to be oil, and it was in a reefer to keep it warm. Yep, warm.

I left town at 1pm with Roman, a Yellowknifer who has been running this road for about 235 years, and two CCI guys. One of them was the same guy that had gone speeding ahead a couple of trips ago when I had dropped back with the last truck in the group. In the drivers trailer I said, "no hard feelings" and he was fine, just a kid trying to push things a little. No question who would be leading this convoy - I was #2 and the two CCI guys took up the last two places and never complained about doing the speed limit, so good for them.

Remember how Andy was busted for speeding big time last trip? His punishment was an immediate 5 day suspension with the possibility of more to come. But. Talk about bullshit, they sent him right out on the Colomac road! Good for Andy that he keeps earning, and good for Carl that his truck keeps money coming in, but where is the punishment in that? I have since heard from a manager at Tli-Cho that some people there thought it was ridiculous too. There will be fall-out that extends into next season for Andy, but I'll let him tell you about that.

It was -51c in Yellowknife that morning with the windchill, and -40c without it when we arrived at Lockhart at 21:40. Roman and I decided we'd get a decent sleep, went in for supper (I wasn't hungry but it was steak night. Vey bad manners to refuse to eat free steak)! I was only pulling a single trailer this trip and parked up in the top parking lot, but the wind was stronger up there and as soon as I parked the engine temp began to drop. I could see the needle moving! I did the winter front up all the way and ran the rpms up, but when I got back from supper the temp was only 155f (150f is the minimum safe temp) and I had two concerns. First was that the temp might drop even further while I was asleep and damage the engine, and second was that at high rpms I'd be burning more fuel and I didn't want any more grief if I had to buy more on the way home. So I moved the truck down into the bottom lot and sandwiched it between two others to give me shelter. Problem solved.

A blow out

Sat March 14/2009

Left Lockhart at 0450 in a group of 5. Roman was leading again and when he called in to Lac de Gras dispatch to give them our numbers, we were told that the last truck in the group had taken a nose-dive into the snowbank somewhere along Mackay Lake and was stuck. None of us had heard him call for help but that is one of the problems of everyone chatting in different groups on different channels on those long lakes. The guy obviosuly wasn't talking to any of us, maybe didn't know any of us, and probably didn't know how to find us once he needed help, perhaps didn't even have the channel we were on on his radio. Anyway, he wasn't hurt although his truck was now minus a front bumper. I had had a hard time staying awake all the way up so I felt for the guy. If you've read all of this thread you'll know that I've done that before myself!

We arrived at Diavik at 23:40 and I was gone again within 2 hrs - gotta like that! There was a good example of the rather OTT safety rules on this occasion at Diavik. I'm not sure whether I told you before, but on one trip this season I had been given a verbal warning because I wasn't wearing my safety glasses. I'm not a big fan of hard hats or safety glasses, other than in situations where they are legitimately needed. To my mind, walking between the parking lot and the dispatch trailer did not warrant either, but I am obliged to follow the rules. Instead of wearing safety glasses I'd always just worn my shades, which are wrap-around anyway. More to the point, they're prescription glasses too so when buddy stopped me and told me I was supposed to be wearing safety glasses I asked him how it was safer for me to take off my prescription glasses and walk around not being able to see properly? He said, "I know, I know but...." and I switched off. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that not a single one of the safety regulations I had to follow at the mine were born out of concern for my safety. They are all about the mine covering their arses from the insurers, and being able to claim so many days without an incident.

One of the rules at all the mines is that all wheeled vehicles have to have their wheels chocked any time that there is no one in the driver's seat. That's everything from 400 ton trucks to electric forklifts. Have any of you ever driven an electric forklift in a warehouse? You know how often you're on and off the machine? Well, every time the guy unloading my trailer got off his machine he had to chock those wheels. I mentioned it to him and he agreed that it was ridiculous (brakes set and a dead level concrete floor), but he said that if he didn't chock them someone would report him. Pretty sad.

I left Diavik at 13:30 with a very nice guy called Merv, who I think had been in the group I ran up with. A guy called George was on his way down from BHP and asking on the radio whether any trucks were leaving Diavik for him to run with, so we arranged to meet him at Lac de Gras. He was ahead of us and didn't know that all he had to do was wait on the ice at the bottom of the hill up to camp. He tried to go into camp, and by the wrong entrance to boot, and spun out. Merv and I helped him with his chains but even fully chained up he wasn't going anywhere. We left him there waiting for a tug from Nuna and carried on to Lockhart.

Ooh, the shit just keeps on coming. It wasn't enough for Andy to have been kicked off the road, it turned out that now Sheldon had been too. Sheldon was the guy who pretended to bust me for speeding a couple of days previously. He had apparently run down the hammer lane on Gordon Lake with a load on. He'd done it at night and turned his lights off so that he wouldn't be seen, but just as he was exiting the hammer lane a northbound convoy had seen the trucks come out of the hammer lane and asked wtf?

Now, most people probably would have ignored this, pretended not to see anything and silently wondered at the lengths people will go to to get an extra load in, but the guy who'd seen him was pretty mad and told security. At Lockhart the shit hit the fan for all sorts of reasons. Another of Carl's trucks caught breaking serious rules, again reported by another driver as opposed to having been caught by security. The guy who'd seen it happen was, I think, the same guy that had dropped Andy in it and he was now worried for his safety and that of the rest of his convoy. He was demanding that back in Yellowknife Tli-Cho should give him somewhere else to park because he thought that someone would try to take reprisals on either him or his truck. He wanted the same for the rest of his group too and as it turns out that was good thinking because two of them, a husband and wife team (in seperate trucks) were already extremely unpopular on the road and ended up being tagged as the ones who'd reported the incident, even though Bill S. was blatantly admitting that it was him. It was all a bit clusterfuck and continued to be so for a while afterwards.

It turns out that what had actually (allegedly!) happened was that Sheldon and at least one other truck were heading south legally. They were empty and as they approached Gordon Lake they'd been approached over the radio by a couple of loaded southbound trucks. These loaded guys had said, "Hey, can we turn our lights off and run down the hammer lane with you guys at the empty speed?" Sheldon apparently said yes, but after the hammer lane these two trucks had stuck with Sheldon's group, and Sheldon had been calling for all of them as he crossed portages, making it kinda hard to deny that he knew they were there. Which is what he was saying, and still swears to this day, but the management weren't having of that. His punishment is the same as that affecting Andy next season - I'll let you tell you himself! I was now the only one of Carl's trucks left on the road.

There was a brief funny moment at Lockhart when I forgot where I'd parked my truck, but I found it again and left at 18:40, arriving back in YK at 00:10.

Phew, done (for this trip).

Old 07-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #969
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,613
Awesome. Any chance of a US citizen getting a job up there? I have taken 14' wide loads to NYC and the bronx and up to 250,000 LBS To New Jersey from Long Island so a little ice with NO TRAFFIC is a dream of mine!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #970
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
Awesome. Any chance of a US citizen getting a job up there? I have taken 14' wide loads to NYC and the bronx and up to 250,000 LBS To New Jersey from Long Island so a little ice with NO TRAFFIC is a dream of mine!
Hey man - no traffic, I hear ya! I think your biggest problem getting a gig as a US citizen (and I'm presuming you're not able to work legally in Canada) would be finding someone to take you on with one more mark against you. It's always a risk when YK companies hires southern drivers for each season (although they all do it) because no-one knows what they're getting in to, and you're being an illegal would be another problem for anyone hiring you. Not to say it's impossible though. You'd need to find a smaller company with no HR dept. etc where the boss can just say 'yep' to you over the phone.

Sorry about the lateness of my response.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #971
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Hey man - no traffic, I hear ya! I think your biggest problem getting a gig as a US citizen (and I'm presuming you're not able to work legally in Canada) would be finding someone to take you on with one more mark against you. It's always a risk when YK companies hires southern drivers for each season (although they all do it) because no-one knows what they're getting in to, and you're being an illegal would be another problem for anyone hiring you. Not to say it's impossible though. You'd need to find a smaller company with no HR dept. etc where the boss can just say 'yep' to you over the phone.

Sorry about the lateness of my response.
No problem about the lateness, but what do you mean Illegal? I would only do it if it was legal but as I understand it Canada will not hire anyone if they have a Canadian citizen that could do the job, but that was told to me by truckers, not lawyers!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #972
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
No problem about the lateness, but what do you mean Illegal? I would only do it if it was legal but as I understand it Canada will not hire anyone if they have a Canadian citizen that could do the job, but that was told to me by truckers, not lawyers!
I just mean that if you're not legally entitled to work in Canada you'd have to be hired illegally. Yep, no way anyone is getting a working visa in Canada just to drive a truck, but there is a driver shortage in this country. You might...hold on, I'll send you a PM!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #973
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Pics

I've been slacking when it comes to writing up the next trip, so here are some pics to keep you going until I get around to it....

Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #974
100mpg
This sentance intent

What are you looking at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
I've been slacking when it comes to writing up the next trip, so here are some pics to keep you going until I get around to it....

I think he wants you to open the window and let him in, Its friggin' cold out!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #975
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,621
Fantastic!

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: