ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
aroundafrika OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
GPS Tracks for Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia and Botswana

Hi doing a trip in Feb, looking for points of interest and a good route from Nairobi to Arusha then on to Malawi, Zambia, taking in Kariba and Vic Falls then on to Maun in Botswana.

We have been from Dubai through Oman, Yemen, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya

www.aroundafrika.com
aroundafrika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Zambia

I have just returned from Zambia after 9 years there. There are numerous places of interest all throughout Zambia, time and distance being the deciding factor on how many you visit. The major highways are bitumen and are generally in very good condition, although secondary and other roads can be slightly potholed to extremely badly potholed. None of these potholed roads are inaccessible of difficult to traverse on a motorcycle, just allow additional time to travel distances.

Places of Interest follow:
South Luangwa National Park - usually closed from December to March due to the wet season. Situated in what is known as the SE of Zambia towards the Malawi border. If you are entering Zambia near Chipata, South Luangwa is a short ride NW from Chipata. Most of the africian animals are in the park, all types of accomodation from backpacking type to 5 star available. I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.

Nyika Plateau - on the Malawi Zambian Border is supposed to be well worth a visit although I never got there.

Lower Zambezi National Park - south of the highway between Chipata and Lusaka has some interesting places and lodges although I have not been there.

Banguelu Swamps near Samfya - located approx central western Northern Province, is approx 100k x 100k of marshland and home to the Sitatunga a Marshland Antelope. Accomodation available at Samfya or Mansa. Also nearby is home to the Shubill and Goliath Heron.

Kasanka National Park in Northern Province is generally average but has thousands of Flying Foxes visit each December and usually early January. Accomodation available although take your own food.

David Livingstones burial site is not far from Kasanka National Park approx 26k east of the road to Samfya.

Shiwa Ngandu - just north of Mpika on the Tanzania road is a English Stately type home, now in disrepair although still lived in. It was built by a chap named Gore-Brown approx 1930's? It is run by Gore-Brown's grandson and contains a very interesting collection of books in the library. Kapisa Hotsprings are nearby with basic accomodation available at Kapisa.

Mutonondo is approx 20-30 k south of Mpika and is situated on the escarpment overlooking the Luangwa valley. The veiws are not that spectacular but the accomodation is very good.

Chimfunzi - approx 40k west of Chingola on the Solwezi road, then 18 k off the Solwezi road. Chingola is situated in the Copperbelt Province. Chimfunzi is home to approx 100 Chimpanzee that have been orphaned or removed from circuses and or private collections due to mal-treatment. It is worth a visit to see the Chimps but is in a generally untidy state. It si situated on the upper Kafue River and camping was available a few years ago.

Kuomboka ceremony held in March at Mongu on the Zambezi River approx 400k in straight line from Victorai Falls. Road from Lusaka to Mongu was badly potholed 5 years ago although do not know current condition. From Mumbwa to Mongu was good bitumen. You will travel through Kafue National Park and Itezhi Tezhi National park. Accomodation available at Itezhi Tezhi. I have travelled to Mongu but have not been to Itezhi Tezhi.

The source of the Zambezi is in the Angolan - DRC border region. (It is very safe to visit) is not that spectacular but worth a vist. Camping available. Further north of here

There are a million and one other places of interest. Maybe make a plan on where you want to vist, stay in touch and I can provide additional info if required. I also know people in some of these areas who would be happy to assist if you wish. I visit this site most days. Zambia is generally a safe place to visit and the people generally friendly. I have camped in the bush (away from towns) alone and or with a few friends without hesitation. Be mindful of the pedestrians and cyclists on the roads as they tend to wander or ride where they choose. There is the usual petty theft and minor border hassles as with anywhere else in Africa. You will come across Police road blocks and they will generally ask 'where are you going', 'where have you come from' and 'what did you bring me'. My standard reply to the last was ' my best wishes'. Good luck.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
GreenOrange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm
(...)Road from Lusaka to Mongu was badly potholed 5 years ago although do not know current condition. From Mumbwa to Mongu was good bitumen. You will travel through Kafue National Park and Itezhi Tezhi National park. (...)
Hello Noelm, I've read your very useful reply. I will be in Zambia next august.

From your post I suppose it's possible to cross the Kafue National Park (on the transit road, I mean) by bike, isn't it?
There is another info I couldn't find anywhere: what about the road from Namibian border/Katima Mulilo to Mongu?
I know is not all tarred, but is it hard to ride or an easy gravel road?

Thank you very much,

Mirco
GreenOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Mongu - Namibia Border

GreenOrange - I will obtain some info from friends in Zambia and get back to you in a few days or so. I have not been in that particular region since 2003 and road conditions can change annually. Cheers
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
GreenOrange
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm
GreenOrange - I will obtain some info from friends in Zambia and get back to you in a few days or so. I have not been in that particular region since 2003 and road conditions can change annually. Cheers
Thank you very much for your interest, Noelm! I hope it's not a disturb for you and your friends. I'll wait your news...
Thank you again.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
RideAfrika
n00b Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundafrika
Hi doing a trip in Feb, looking for points of interest and a good route from Nairobi to Arusha then on to Malawi, Zambia, taking in Kariba and Vic Falls then on to Maun in Botswana.

We have been from Dubai through Oman, Yemen, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya

www.aroundafrika.com
I am from Zambia but live in Arizona, USA. I'm planning my own trip round Zambia next year to see all the things I didn't see growning up there. I'm still compiling my intinerary but I would be glad to share it with you. it includes several small towns and points of interest, some that maybe on your route, others that won't. Nurse your suspension. The route it sounds like you'll take has relatively good roads all the way, but we all know that the interesting stuff is on the bad ones.

As far as roads go, it's hit or miss. There's been a lot of road work done i recent years, but there are also many roads that have fallen apart from neglect. When you ride on one of these you'll be begging for a plain old gravel road, cause there is nothing worse than what used to be an tarred road that is now 65% potholes (no kidding).

Riding THROUGH national parks can be, but is no necessarily dangerous. National parks are protected areas and no people with the exception of a few game rangers and poachers live there. It would be a dangerous place to have a break down and not a place to camp. While the chances of being attacked by a large cat, or worse an elephant, are small it's very real. I personally would not ride through the middle of a national park without a guide. But I guess that's because I am planning to ride alone.

Anyway, our people a friendly and alway interested in meeting poeple from other places. So say hello and don't be afraid to sit down and TRY and have a chat. Outside of the major cities there is very little crime.

Have fun.

BTW: What are you guys going to be riding?
RideAfrika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
GreenOrange
Adventurer

Hello RideAfrika, I'm still collecting info about the safety of the Kafue Park crossing. But I'm interested only in crossing it by the main road, not to travel in it, that for sure would be more dangerous. I'have also found a campsite that would be perfect for us, only 5 km from the main road, and tehy say there are no real dangers to reach them. To be sure, we will no pay in advance...

No doubt about the Zambian people: we go there thinking that people will be a plus of our trip.

No problem also to share info about our itineraries. I'm preparing a website to collect all the info and make them available for everybody, but It will be ready in a far future... before, we have PM.

Bye!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

GreenOrange - Haven't forgotten about you - still waiting on info about the Mongu Katima Road. Should have a reply soon. I have camped in the open in Kafue National Park with no issues, even though one is not supposed too. Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Mongu Katima

GreenOrange

No-one I know has travelled the Mongu Katima road for some years.
They have all said that they remember a very difficult sandy road suitable only for 4WD. This western side of Zambia is Kalahari Sand.

The Mongu Senanga section is tarmac but it will possibly be badly potholed and should be passable on the bike. I have travelled some atrocious roads in Zambia, you just have to go slowly.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance, although if I hear of any changes I will let you know.
Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
GreenOrange
Adventurer

Hello Noelm, sorry for my delay and thank you for the time you spent for me.
In the meanwhile I have been to the International Tourism Fair in Milan, where I had the chance to know an Italian who lives in Zambia working as a walking safari guide, and who contributes to the Bradt Guide. He had news about that road: it has just been renewed, and now is a very good road, he says. I will verify in august, but he seems a well informed person.
Thank you again, ciao!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Good luck with your travels.
Cheers
Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
GreenOrange
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOrange
He had news about that road: it has just been renewed, and now is a very good road, he says. I will verify in august, but he seems a well informed person.
I forgot this thread, but now it's time to complete it: maybe it will be useful to anybody in the future.
There's no tar on the Katima-Mongu road, only a sandy road, sometimes not simple. We couldn't ride all that road because one of us falled down and we had to go back to Katima, to avoid more problems.
Don't believe to them who tell you they renewed that road!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Photos?? Report??

I assume you have finished your ride. Any photos or is there a report in progress??
Old 12-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #14
GreenOrange
Adventurer

You are right! So, now I'm posting some picture here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...20#post8682820

I will not give too many details, I haven't still prepared a real report, but I hope pictures can give the idea.

Bye Noel, and thank you again for your help.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,408
Bump for any updated info, especially about how to visit NP's and see wildlife while in Zam, Zim, Botswana and South Africa on moto.