Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #1606
spokexx
boob

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banfius
When you test the compression on the XT, should the decompression cable be disconnected from the kick start?

I ran the test exactly as described in Clymer. My results were way below what Clymer suggests are appropriate, but I'm using the kickstart to turn the engine so the decompression is opening up. The numbers could be adjusted for this consideration, in which case I have a valve seal problem.

My pressure hit around 90psi. Clymer says 128psi minimum and should be closer to 150psi I think.
yes, you should disable the decomp cable. kick the bike until the needle on the guage stops rising, about 5-6 kicks. The decomp lets out just enough pressure out the exhaust valve to let you kick the engine over easier, but allow the combustion to ignite.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #1607
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219
Cleaned the carb the best i could. Put on the new boots and it fired right up

Now i got a slight fuel leak out of the bowl on the carb. I must not have tighened the screws down enough. Is there supose to be a gasket of some sort there?
Yes. it's a rubber 'o-ring' type of gasket
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #1608
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
Yes. it's a rubber 'o-ring' type of gasket
Thanks. I get a little ahead of myself.

I snugged the screws down a bit without removing the carb again and all seems well.

Now I need some time to go ride it.

Next task is to figure out how to disassembler the muffler to see if i can repack it to make it quieter.
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #1609
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219
Thanks. I get a little ahead of myself.

I snugged the screws down a bit without removing the carb again and all seems well.

Now I need some time to go ride it.

Next task is to figure out how to disassembler the muffler to see if i can repack it to make it quieter.
Drill the rivets out and you should be able to repack it. You'll need a pop rivet gun to put it back together though.
What it really needs is a smaller outlet in the end cap. You may be able to fab up your own "Quiet Insert"
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #1610
anarxias
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Intake boots

Hi again guys.
Anyone whith spare intake boots?mine got ripped
anarxias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #1611
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,356
Quote:
Drill the rivets out and you should be able to repack it. You'll need a pop rivet gun to put it back together though.
What it really needs is a smaller outlet in the end cap. You may be able to fab up your own "Quiet Insert"
It is very simple to do this. I just drilled the rivets out of my KTM SXC Competition muffler to remove the stock end cap and install a PMB spark arrestor endo with silent insert. You need 3/16's drill bit and a rivet tool ($10 at Sears). Plus you will need some aluminum rivets and maybe some high temp silicone sealant. The whole job took maybe half an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarxias
Hi again guys.
Anyone whith spare intake boots?mine got ripped
Read up on how to do a site and thread specific Google search. I am pretty sure somebody posted a homebrew solution about a billion posts back.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #1612
spokexx
boob

Oddometer: 86
I raced my XT

Well, last Saturday I raced an ACRMX event down at Blue Diamond MX park in Delaware on my 89 XT. Although ive raced vintage events before (on my 1980 IT175) this was the first time racing the dual sport. I did pretty good. Out of 4 races against old YZ's, KX's, CR's and RM's my worst finish was 6th out of 8 and my best was 3rd out of 6 (2 classes i was in). I could've done better if I had more stamina. My arms and hands hurt so badly by the 2nd lap (4 lap races) that I could barely hold on to the grips. I also could've tried to clear some of the doubles if I had more time to practice, which definitely would've made me more competitive. But overall, I think I was doing pretty good. I think I did better on my XT than I would've done on my IT175 2-stroker, even with the extra 50 pounds including my license plate and all working lights and horn. The power is just smoother than an old 2 stroke and coming out of the turns I could power-on much smoother. The new tires REALLY hooked up well. I cranked up the pre-load on the rear shock and pumped about 20psi into each fork, but the rear still bottomed out on some of the flat jumps. Oh well, run it!!
Heres some fotos a friend took, and heres a link to a site with more fotos. Click on the drop down box and select "Vintage Races". Im in the first foto and many more, just scroll down and youll see the only red XT square headlight and my S$M jersey. In one of them im getting some decent air.
http://vintage54.com/galleries/ACR_b...ond/index.html

[IMG]

Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #1613
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Awesome! Not that you beat the Hell out of her if you need some parts my son is parting out his '93. Just sayin'....if you need any.

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #1614
Banfius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Rear Shock

Strike out on the 86 yz125 shock. It's only 1.5 in longer, and the used the same size mounting bolt, but the top of the shock is too girthy to fit into the frame, so even if you got it mounted with a spring compressor, you would lose some of your swing arm motion range. Essentially the angle for the reservoir begins before its left the box in xt350's frame.

BTW the airbox slides right out, if you take the shock out first.
Banfius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #1615
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Strike out on the 86 yz125 shock.
Thank you for checking.

Quote:
BTW the airbox slides right out, if you take the shock out first.
Does anyone know whether a TT box would slide back in? With the smaller "emergency alarm" battery, I think I could sort a superior TT airbox. But I'm concerned that the XT and TT frames might be different here.
(I know, I should just get one and try it. But I'm still pouring concrete and want to finish my shop first.)
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #1616
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

A US model TT350 from the 80's does use a different frame. The TT350 frame was a full cradle around the engine and the XT350 is not. I have no idea about the airbox though.

I tried for 17 years to source a different shock for my 86 XT350. So if somebody comes up with something that works I won't know whether laugh or cry.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #1617
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
A US model TT350 from the 80's does use a different frame. The TT350 frame was a full cradle around the engine and the XT350 is not. I have no idea about the airbox though.

I tried for 17 years to source a different shock for my 86 XT350. So if somebody comes up with something that works I won't know whether laugh or cry.
Wasn't that cradle a bolt on item?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #1618
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wasn't that cradle a bolt on item?
You might be correct. It has been 22 years since I lined my XT350 up next to a TT350 and compared them. But IIRC the case savers were bolted on and the frame really was full cradle. Plus I would swear the TT had a longer aluminum swingarm than the steel part on my XT and it definitely ran a different shock. Also the forks are bigger, the chain rollers and sliders are sized for a 520, etc.

I had thought at the time that they were basically the same bike until I did a direct comparison. But when I finally had them side by side I remember thinking the only part that really was the same for certain was the engine. But, then again, I could just be a babbling idiot of an old man with no rational memories surviving my misspent youth. Plus the brain doc says I have had too many concussions.

So when you read my posts remember that I retired several motorcycle helmets and a fire department helmet during the period I had that XT350.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 11:31 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #1619
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
the only part that really was the same for certain was the engine.
Different heads (exhaust valve, I think).
I still think replacing the shock and swingarm together could be easier. I wish I had time/place to fuss with it now.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #1620
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
Quote:
So when you read my posts remember that I retired several motorcycle helmets and a fire department helmet during the period I had that XT350.
You need to tell me about this one.
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote