Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #2296
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Is yours broke? I thought I had to replace mine because you couldn't see through it, but it was just dirty. Q-tips and mineral spirits fixed the problem.
Just blacked up so you can't see through it.
I just came in got the top end tore down, piston looks good, just carbon build up as is the valves. Nothing bent, .

I did find why it was smoking. I hate to even admit it.
I've been working on several bikes/scooters and mowers to keep everything running here. Well I neglected my own bike. Forgot to oil the air filter.
Plus the XT225 seat left the airbox intake open to crap being slung by the rear tire. So I found a small stash of mixed gravel/dirt up against the airfilter, but there was fine silt sand stuff on the inside of the snorkel tubes.

Oh well life goes on I'll ring it and do the valve seals and timing chain, it was stretched WAY out, and jumped a tooth.

So thats the story and what the evidence showed, I've got one ohhohh I dropped a cir-clip into the side cover by the timing chain, I've got to pull that cover anyway to change the chain so I'll find it once parts get ordered and here.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #2297
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,943
So I'm off the hook for the timing chain?

I trashed the top end on mine with beach sand when it was almost new back in 1986. I was running the snot out of it on a SC beach and hit a chunk of driftwood kicked up by the guy I was behind. It went behind my left boot and hit the bike. I didn't think anything about it until the bike started losing power and smoking. It got me home that night even though it also spit all the front wheel bearings out on the road.

The next morning revealed that the crankcase breather hose was gone and the airbox boots were knocked lose. The engine had sucked up a bucket full of beach sand. I dumped the oil and ran kerosene through it several time and rebuilt the the top end. It ran for another 15 years and survived two more top end jobs and I never did have to split the cases for bearings. I also never figured out why the front wheel bearings let go.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #2298
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Just blacked up so you can't see through it
It will clean right up with a bit of work. Kind of a PIA, but q-tips are cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I also never figured out why the front wheel bearings let go.
Likely due to Japanese grease rationing.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #2299
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
So I'm off the hook for the timing chain?
Who said that?
The timing chain was stretched BIG BIG time. :ymca that it was so stretched.
It had a quarter turn of slop in the chain. Wonder it lasted as long as it did.

Seriously if you start hearing a little extra noise from the gear area take it to heart and fix it. I just got luck I didn't bend valves or bust a piston.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #2300
Brypoint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi everyone!

Just bought this out in Vegas, 2000 XT350 2010miles, paid $1400 for it but it seems pretty reasonable compared to whats available out here on Craig's list (been looking for a bike for a month!) The guy I bought it from dosen't know much except that its supposedly completely stock. He is the second owner and supposedly hasn't drivin it much. I kinda think it has more miles on it then it shows but i'm not sure. Maybe they diconn the spedo cable for a while? If you guys know of another way to tell miledge lemme know. Although I think it looks worn because it mostly sat outside under a blanket?
Anyways i'm having trouble keeping her idling, at lights she goes down so low an idol its on the brink of stalling or does stall. I have messed with the idle set screw a little to bring the rpm's up but you guys have said it should idle 1400-1500. I think i can get to idle ok but that's damn near 2k rpm. What do you guys think I should look at first?
I'm going to order some brake pads front and rear, so maybe some intake boots as it seems that's a common problem? (please ignore the liquid on the ground that was me checking the front brake fluid lol)
Attached Images

Brypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #2301
Brypoint
Adventurer

Hey what do you guys think is a good place to shop online for parts? You know common stuff pads light bulbs maybe intake boots? Cheap but quality, i figure i'd check with you guys seeing you've been through it before.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #2302
Brypoint
Adventurer

Ok I must be retarded but i'm not seeing any pilot screw. It's been said that it's between the head and the bowl on the primary side? This is the primary I hope? The Babbitt's online parts scheme shows a pilot screw in the bowl but the only screw that seems to be their is the drain screw? I also read you guys saying you need to drill a copper plug covering it but I don't see that either.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #2303
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brypoint View Post
Ok I must be retarded but i'm not seeing any pilot screw. It's been said that it's between the head and the bowl on the primary side? This is the primary I hope? The Babbitt's online parts scheme shows a pilot screw in the bowl but the only screw that seems to be their is the drain screw? I also read you guys saying you need to drill a copper plug covering it but I don't see that either.
It's on the bottom side of the carb. See that little aluminum tube between the bowl and the carb bracket? It's in there.
Attached Images

2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #2304
Brypoint
Adventurer

Yah after extensive searching i finally figured it out. I was trying to get to the air screw without taking off the carbs as this seems to be a regular issue. Now i have to find a screw driver small enough lol.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #2305
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Hey what do you guys think is a good place to shop online for parts? You know common stuff pads light bulbs maybe intake boots? Cheap but quality, i figure i'd check with you guys seeing you've been through it before.
I just placed about $150 order with http://www.yamahapartshouse.net/
Their prices about 20% to 25% below the local dealers, but they are high on the shipping so make it a large order or else your not going to save much.

My bike the PO was a dick and couldn't get the speedo drive back into the notch on the front wheel correctly and just rode it that way. So the odo reads 9500 miles but who knows how much it actually is.

You idle, you might just play with the choke, partially out to adjust the idle fuel/air mixture, this will give you a little idea if the pilot jet is plugged or partially plugged. With that low miles its probable since it has set alot.

Nice find, I really do like my little Utility 350.
I can't wait to get the parts here so I can put it back together.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #2306
Brypoint
Adventurer

Welp I pulled the carbs and destroyed the intake boots. Only to find out the pilot screw was out 2.5 turns already. But I did get in it and clean it. Sucks cause it was running at least and could ride it now im doomed till new boots, hopefully I can get locally cause Babbitts is saying like 2 weeks to ship? I'm kinda scared of those damn allen bolts holding the boots on. I sprayed them with Blaster but i can just tell there going to strip out on me. Any ideas so I dont screw them up trying to get em off? This is how I ended up ripping the boot cause the O clamps were stuck and the one behind the exhaust stripped because I couldnt get a good angle to it with the screw driver..
Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #2307
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I just placed about $150 order with http://www.yamahapartshouse.net/
Their prices about 20% to 25% below the local dealers, but they are high on the shipping so make it a large order or else your not going to save much.
Thanks for this but I really don't wanna wait for these guys to ship I just got the bike and I wanna ride it lol
(like $50 for each boot kinda sucks too) I'll cross my fingers they have locally in stock.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #2308
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Welp I pulled the carbs and destroyed the intake boots. Only to find out the pilot screw was out 2.5 turns already. But I did get in it and clean it. Sucks cause it was running at least and could ride it now im doomed till new boots, hopefully I can get locally cause Babbitts is saying like 2 weeks to ship? I'm kinda scared of those damn allen bolts holding the boots on. I sprayed them with Blaster but i can just tell there going to strip out on me. Any ideas so I dont screw them up trying to get em off? This is how I ended up ripping the boot cause the O clamps were stuck and the one behind the exhaust stripped because I couldnt get a good angle to it with the screw driver..
If you could get a good hit wit a hammer it would help , but i know it is thight !!
Good luck and keep the WD-40 on it

nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #2309
Brypoint
Adventurer

Yah I can probably get to them with a hammer or possibly vice grips if the allen wrenches don't hold. I got the boots locally $69 and 61$ for the two and $7 for the O-rings. You were definetly right about them being cheaper online. But I gotta ride doggonit!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2310
InfiniteMiles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I fixed my weather cracked boots with liquid rubber, you can get it at home depot for 6-7 bucks a tube.
I spreads on like paint but dries to rubber.
InfiniteMiles is offline   Reply With Quote