Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #2326
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Remove the head and helicoil all of the cam cap holes along with the exhaust header holes. Use Anti-seize on the exhaust bolts and you won't have to deal with this again. I did the valve cover holes too, but I had to buy some shorter inserts.

What torque are you using on the cam caps? Stripping out the threads isn't that uncommon, but breaking the bolts is.
I guess if some of them were already helicoiled, it might be more likely to break a bolt.

The important part when you use helicoils is the drilling. Make sure you are drilling straight and don't go to deep. I'd use tape on the drill bit as a depth gauge if you don't have anything better. The Al is soft so it doesn't take much. Take your time and be careful.
I was using 200 in-lbs, which is less than the 22 ft-lbs the spec calls for. I then cleaned out everything with a q-tip and set the torque to 150 in-lbs and didn't snap any more bolts. I now have a feeling that there are more helicoils lurking than I thought, and it seems that it's possible that the old threads weren't entirely removed, creating an area that is proving difficult or impossible for the bolt to get past. My biggest fear at this point is in regards to the exhaust header, as it is very rusted. But at least the work to fix what I break there should be easier than dealing with the cam cap holes. I should be able to get access to a drill press, so I think I can do this properly. I'm just hoping the engine internals look good, because I'm really tired of dumping money into a previously running bike. At least I'm learning a ton though.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #2327
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
I was using 200 in-lbs, which is less than the 22 ft-lbs the spec calls for. I then cleaned out everything with a q-tip and set the torque to 150 in-lbs and didn't snap any more bolts.
There's you're problem.
Cam cap torque is 10 nm or 7.2 ft-lbs or 86.4 In-lbs. Most 6mm bolts will use this torque.
NOMADS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #2328
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
There's you're problem.
Cam cap torque is 10 nm or 7.2 ft-lbs or 86.4 In-lbs. Most 6mm bolts will use this torque.
Uh, crap. Really? I must have read the wrong torque number from the box in the manual. Well, at least now I know! Anybody seen my dunce cap?
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #2329
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
Uh, crap. Really? I must have read the wrong torque number from the box in the manual. Well, at least now I know! Anybody seen my dunce cap?
Don't worry about it. I twisted off one of the small head bolts because I forgot to reset the wrench. It happens
NOMADS
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #2330
Brypoint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Out on the pilot screw will make it richer.
Ohh yah ok that actually makes sense. Can anyone tell me how the choke actually does it's job? It seemingly corrects any idol or fuel mixture problems. I think knowing how this works will help me to better understand my bikes idol problems.
Brypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2331
Jronwood
87 XT600

Oddometer: 22
I have a 1989 that only has 2500 miles on it. I need a donor bike for lots of little stuff, and a title. Mine was a repo with no title.

Jronwood
Jronwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #2332
Brypoint
Adventurer

Ok heres my few rides old plug. This is at all different throttle positions, maybe a little on the rich side? Pilot screw is at 3 turns out here. Well I went ahead and brought the pilot air screw up to only 1/2 turn out and it seems to hold idle a bit better. Which is strange cause these bikes come very lean from the factory. I gotta do some more testing I guess. Is their any telltale signs of the float being out of wack? I was really careful taking of the cover but that little hose connecting the two carbs makes it a bit difficult to get it off without fumbling a bit.
Attached Images

Brypoint screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 08:42 AM
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #2333
Brypoint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jronwood View Post
I have a 1989 that only has 2500 miles on it. I need a donor bike for lots of little stuff, and a title. Mine was a repo with no title.

Jronwood
Craig list possibly?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #2334
Jronwood
87 XT600

Yeah, I hear you, just takes time.

Jronwood
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #2335
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Yeah, I hear you, just takes time.

Jronwood
Well, your profile doesn't say where you're located, but there is one near me that can help with all but the title. I plan to call the guy this weekend. Will use it as a parts bike but I just want the engine for now.

1985 Yamaha XT350 - $600 (West Ashley)

Date: 2011-07-07, 11:34AM EDT
Reply to: sale-bqyy5-2448052472@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1985 Yamaha XT 350 dual sport, NO TITLE, good project bike, runs great, plastic is a little rough and gas tank has a dent, painted flat black, seat needs recovered, starts on first or second kick, lights and turn signals are there but not all work, extra set of wheels and tires, tires are in great shape, $600 call or text Robert at 843-743-5888

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #2336
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brypoint View Post
Ohh yah ok that actually makes sense. Can anyone tell me how the choke actually does it's job? It seemingly corrects any idol or fuel mixture problems. I think knowing how this works will help me to better understand my bikes idol problems.
If it idles better warm with the choke partially pulled out then your pilot JET is probably clogged. No amount of fooling with the pilot air screw (what I think y'all are calling the pilot screw) will correct that. The pilot jet holes are tiny and are very difficult to get clean on a bike that sat for a while with old gas in the carb.

And XT350's are especially sensitive to that low rpm pilot jet because there isn't one in the secondary CV side of the carb. Plus they are already jetted so lean from the factory that they will barely run anyway. So anything screwed up there makes them not want to idle. Idle mixture was a constant battle on mine.

If you pull the float bowl to clean it heed my warning about screwing up your float height. You are better off pulling the carbs and doing it on a workbench. Trust me, you might as well get used to pulling that half CV monstrosity off the bike to work on it. It will become a way of life.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #2337
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grreatdog View Post
if it idles better warm with the choke partially pulled out then your pilot jet is probably clogged. No amount of fooling with the pilot air screw (what i think y'all are calling the pilot screw) will correct that. The pilot jet holes are tiny and are very difficult to get clean on a bike that sat for a while with old gas in the carb.

And xt350's are especially sensitive to that low rpm pilot jet because there isn't one in the secondary cv side of the carb. Plus they are already jetted so lean from the factory that they will barely run anyway. So anything screwed up there makes them not want to idle. Idle mixture was a constant battle on mine.

If you pull the float bowl to clean it heed my warning about screwing up your float height. You are better off pulling the carbs and doing it on a workbench. Trust me, you might as well get used to pulling that half cv monstrosity off the bike to work on it. It will become a way of life.
+1
NOMADS
Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #2338
Jronwood
87 XT600

Draechon,

Thanks man, near Pittsburgh Pa.

Jronwood
Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #2339
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:

Jronwood
Check Ebay, there was a California Salvage yard on there that hada frame with paper work/title for $150. I started to buy it because my original XT350 turned out to have the VIN number ground off the frame. I had the Sheriff come look at the pile of parts from it and never heard back. But I found a better bike.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #2340
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Whoop, I will have parts on Tuesday and I can get my 350 back together.
I have missed my Little Utility Bike the last couple weeks.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote